Hello & Citroen in the press

DeKa

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, but I have been lurking and reading posts for a while and now's the time to introduce myself.

I've just recently bought myself a '94 Peugeot 306XR, but French cars run in the family. My parents have owned an ID19, a Renault 16TS, one Peugeot 504 followed by another, which is now complemented by a Citroen XM.

I saw on the following site http://www.drive.com.au/exec under the heading Test Drive a fairly decent short story on the Traction Avant, the 2CV and the DS19 - you might all like to have a look.

Derek

Hi Derek,
Welcome to the board, I'm interested in buying an XM and would appreciate some feedback from someone who owns one. I have come close a couple of times but it's hard to get honest info regarding running costs, I understand that the early models had a few problems mostly electical. How about an honest review no holds barred. In fact I'd be interested in reading reviews from any of the members on there vehicles.

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris,

Well first of all, it is not my car, but I do drive it occasionally so I can let you know about those experiences.

It is a 1991 model, so that makes it one of the very first of the Series 1 cars.

Electrical problems have been numerous, but not too hard to fix - all the switches on seats and windows have had to be taken out and cleaned with contact cleaner at least once. It's certainly not hard to do that yourself. When we first bought the car in 1999, there was a serious earthing problem in the car requiring cleaning all the contacts in one of the mass of wires under the bonnet - as I said it's not my own car and I wasn't involved in that part of it. The most recent electrical issue has been a complete lack of dash lighting. We discovered there are about 25 bulbs in the dash, of which 10 had blown.

As for driving, it's fantastic, except for the auto transmission... No matter what any mechanic has done, no one has been able to completely solve it snatching (when you back off the throttle, it feels like all the power has been cut very quickly). It is alot better now than it used to be however. Also, when you are braking and it changes down a gear, it is quite abrupt - you definately know it has changed down a gear.

On the road, I don't know of any car that is better on the highway - ride and comfort is just so much better than even Mercedes I've ridden in. We have travelled Sydney - SE QLD straight through many times (with 3 or 4 drivers of course!) and got out at the other end feeling comfortable and relaxed.

Handling is pretty good if you push the car, especially in sports suspension mode. I drove the car going through the old O'Sullivan's Gap on the Pacific Hwy near Bulladelah and I remember seeing a hotted up car just left behind us through the corners, and there were 4 of us in the car at the time. That road has been bypassed now..

As for running costs, I can't really comment on servicing and the like. I can suss it out for you and get back to you if you want. Fuel consumption is amazingly good for this type of car. On a recent trip to Noosa from Sydney with 5 people and luggage on board (imagine a Commodore/Falcon dragging its bum with all that!)
tongue.gif
it did 8.5L/100km running Shell Optimax. Around the city it does about 12L/100km.

Hope that all helps, but feel free to ask more detailed questions about it.

Derek

Hi there Greenblood Chris,

From comments I have seen on overseas boards, it would appear with early XM's that the oil pump was a problem causing camshaft assy's to go down. This was apparently rectified on later models via a more efficient oil pump. In between times, Total produced an SAE 0W-40 grade weighted oil obviously as a stop gap measure with an amount of success. It would be fair to assume that the full impact of this would not have been felt here to the extent it would have been in the UK & Europe due to their extreme weather conditions over there. I have recently been in touch with a guy who has just arrived from the UK (ex Aussie) who has resettled in Toowoomba & seems fairly au fait with Cits & has brought his XM out here with him. If you would care to e-mail me off list, I will pass on his info to you so that you can contact him direct & can possibly get advice from someone who has lived with them as a fairly common vehicle.
smile.gif

Alan S

Thanks guys,
Any comments favouable or otherwise are greatly appreciated, I'm looking at a car at the momment '91 with 160ks one owner and looks to be pretty honest at $21 grand. Alan I'll contact you for your friends details.

regards
Chris

Hi Guys,

To be fair, I think it was only the 24valvers that had the oil pressure probs (but I could always be wrong). ex CX driver and 2CV nut adrian Chapman could probably give you some good tips on buying an XM as he's gotten rid of his CX's and is into XM's.

adrian@achapman.freeisp.co.uk

Drop him a line and see what he says (but he's in the UK so be prepared to be scared
smile.gif
)

He's told me if I ever want a decent XM to send him over 50quid and he'll ship one out...

seeya,

Shane L

Shane,
Had a chat with Adrian, very prompt reply, he really shoots from the hip, I got the good the bad and the ugly. I'll ask his permission to post his responce on the site.
Thanks for your help.... I think...

Cheers
Chris

Hello, here are some comments of owning a XM.
I bought my 2.0i from 1992 a year ago. First, the nasty bits... i had to replace several rubber tubes going to the MAP and other sensors. I had the CAT replaced (it broke off), 4 new tyres, a new windscreen, new breakpads, oil and filters, wipers, a relay for the front lights, relays for the cooling fans and airco, switch from the bootlight (it sends a signal to the suspension! you need it!), a MAP sensor, ball joints and some hydraulics plumbing. This weekend i replace the timing belt. Valve seals may have to be replaced as well, but i'm not sure wether or not i can do this by myself (it uses oil). The happy sides are:
It's a wonderful car to see and drive. It's very comfortable. It's fast. I still love it (my wife does'nt like the size. It does'nt fit in tiny parkingplaces at the supermarket (obvious)). I cannot think of any other car i would like to own more than this. Overall, you've got to be lightly nuts to buy a XM. So, if you're a sensible type, buy a Corolla or some other reliable Jap. If you like to enjoy life, go for it. It's big fun.

Paul,
Woohoooo...... I'm there, yeah so it's going to cost a bit to maintain but don't they look great!!! I've got the 91 v6 overnight for a test drive and I'm in love. One owner apparently 65 years old and doted on the car, looks and drives like new. Just got to work on SHE who will be obeyed, any tips...
It's going to be hard taking it back tomorrow. Keep you all posted, wish me luck.
Just going to water the dog and take the roses for a walk i'll be alright after my medication **# honest.

Cheers
Chris

Huh... SHE who has to be obeyed... i showed this to her yesterday evening (there IS a time difference between Oz & NL)... We always liked big cars, she knew it was something i really wanted, so she gave in... lucky me.. My other choice would have been a 2CV. We married in a 2CV. But she does'nt feel safe in it... so for me, it's the next best thing ;=) and now, work....