heavy fuel leak on top of C3 fuel pump

ccc

Fellow Frogger
Hi
The fuel return line on my daughters 1.4L C3 is dripping at the female over male fitting on top of the pump after the car was idled.
See pic and pointing finger!
Have any members experienced this?

Should i replace the fuel line and/or the fuel pump?
thax CCC

Attachments

• thumbnail_image0.jpg
    thumbnail_image0.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 450
My C2 had a leak from the outlet spigot of the fuel pump (opposite side to where you are pointing). The leak was from a horizontal crack in the plastic of the spigot on the side, near the top.
You will need to ascertain if the leak is from the fuel pump or the hose.
If it's from the fuel pump I don't know of any (successful) repair procedure. I have seen blobs of epoxy putty used to seal the leak but I don't know how successful that would be.
If it's from the hose it could be from the O-ring inside the fitting being damaged. The O-ring can be replaced but otherwise the hose will need to be replaced. Again I don't know of any repair procedure for the hose.
Pumps are available from Ebay for about $200 or so. Warning: the Peugeot and Citroen pumps LOOK the same but the fuel level floats are on DIFFERENT sides and will not fit in the tank!!
You will need a special tool to get the retaining ring off (if the fuel pump is the problem)...Ebay. If you break the ring you can get them from Ebay too.
The blue O-ring used to seal the pump to the fuel tank will swell when exposed to petrol fumes and will not go back in place once removed. Let it air out for about 24 hours and it will shrink back to the right diameter.

My C2 had a leak from the outlet spigot of the fuel pump (opposite side to where you are pointing). The leak was from a horizontal crack in the plastic of the spigot on the side, near the top.
You will need to ascertain if the leak is from the fuel pump or the hose.
If it's from the fuel pump I don't know of any (successful) repair procedure. I have seen blobs of epoxy putty used to seal the leak but I don't know how successful that would be.
If it's from the hose it could be from the O-ring inside the fitting being damaged. The O-ring can be replaced but otherwise the hose will need to be replaced. Again I don't know of any repair procedure for the hose.
Pumps are available from Ebay for about $200 or so. Warning: the Peugeot and Citroen pumps LOOK the same but the fuel level floats are on DIFFERENT sides and will not fit in the tank!!
You will need a special tool to get the retaining ring off (if the fuel pump is the problem)...Ebay. If you break the ring you can get them from Ebay too.
The blue O-ring used to seal the pump to the fuel tank will swell when exposed to petrol fumes and will not go back in place once removed. Let it air out for about 24 hours and it will shrink back to the right diameter.
thanks vtr.
Ive bought a replacement fuel pump and am having difficulty sourcing replacement fuel lines. The local citroen dealer was given the vin, however the diagram of the pump/line assembly is different to whats in the car. e.g. the pump in the car has inlet and outlet nozzles the fuel lines fit over and the pump looks original.. The dealer picture shows a single nozzle...

Fortunately after a 2nd look, the fuel lines have part numbers on tags.
The line to the engine: 96 396 496 80
the return line is a part number (partially illegible) 9. 996 495 80
hopefully the dealer can use them tomorrow.
cheers

The Australian Citroen C2s and C3s have an in-line fuel filter fitted to the back of the carbon canister and the fuel pumps have an inlet AND outlet spigot. Many other countries (including the UK) do not have the filter and the fuel pumps only have the outlet spigot. The return line goes directly back to the fuel tank and not the pump. I have literally argued with people on UK forums that (some) C2's and C3's DO have fuel filters.
How much would it cost PSA to source 4 different sets of fuel lines(2 for Citroen and 2 for Peugeot), 4 different sets fuel tanks( pump mounted in a different spot), 4 different sets of fuel pumps (don't forget the float sender is on the other side for Peugeots)?? They could simply make an adaptor to replace the fuel filter if it's not required? Wasn't the whole point of Peugeot and Citroen amalgamating to become a consortium and produce COMMON parts to SAVE money?
The part numbers ARE on the Citroen system ,the person was not looking hard enough. Tell them to manually enter your cars details if the parts do not appear under the VIN.
It used to be possible to look up the illustrated parts breakdown and obtain PSA part numbers on the Citroen Service site but PSA has now moved that from free to pay! Probably to recover wasted money on unnecessarily duplicated parts!

I take it you couldn't ascertain if the problem was the fuel pump or the fuel line?