Heater blower on 505

Rich@rdS

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
G'day all,

I've just bought my first pug (which also happens to be my first car...), a 1985 505 Executive with apparently only 155000ks, but it doesn't look as though its been properly cared for.
I'm trying to get all the gremlins out of it, so I imagine I'll be posting quite a few questions here over the next few weeks.

So for my first post, I'd like to find out if it's normal for the blower fan to come on when the ignition is switched onto the "accessory" position, even when the fan switch is set to "0".
The fan works normally on all other speeds, but can just be heard whirring away at a very slow speed when set to 0. If this isn't normal (and I believe it's not), what would be the cause, and can I fix it myself?

Thanks,
Richard

congratulations and welcome
answer to your question
normal
get used to it
my 604 does it
my 306 has the fan going if it is on as well in ACC mode

Yep, they all do it. Has yours developed an annoying squeek? At some stage the bearing in the heater fan will get really noisy - I will fix it up in mine eventually. To see if this has been done, take a look under the bonnet. If your firewall has been ripped up (and usually stuck back together with duct tape) then it has been done. If its intact, then it WILL happen eventually :)

505's are great cars, yours has extremely low kms on it. Mine has nearly 260,000kms and another guy on this forum with a 1985 505 Gti Exec has about 230,000 on his. If maintained they last forever.

My Pug is my first car, and I totally love it. Take it on a long drive, like through the Black Spur up to Lake Eildon and you'll be extremely surprised by the awesome handling of it - the 505 Executive tends to remain flat through corners whereas my 505 GR gets heaps of body roll - so you should be able to keep high speeds through the really twisty stuff.

So, Welcome to the forum. Find out about getting an AussieFrogs sticker, and also get some digital photos of your car so it can be added to the Members Gallery
<a href="http://www.aussiefrogs.com/gallery/usergallery.htm" target="_blank">http://www.aussiefrogs.com/gallery/usergallery.htm</a>

Cheers,
Nick

<small>[ 13 July 2002, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: nJm ]</small>

Thanks for the welcome!

Seems weird that it'd be constantly on... if the engine was off but I was, say, listening to the radio, wouldn't it be a large drain on the battery? (especially with all those window-switch lights on as well?)

No annoying squeaks yet, but someone in the past has not only ripped up the firewall, but totally REMOVED it from where the blower is... It's all exposed, so I was hoping to cover it up with something eventually.

But yeah, the handling is something I've got to get used to. After driving my dad's wallowing XF Falcon wagon for 3 years, I couldn't believe that I could actually go around bends at any speed faster than 30kmh and not get tyre screech and body roll... :D

When I get it fully serviced, I was going to take it up to the snow for a weekend to see what it can really do. I'm sure I'll be impressed... :)

Hi Richard,
Similarly, welcome to 505 ownership. The GTI / STI range introduce many people to a degree of motoring satisfaction that amazes them, considering the production dates of these cars. Then again, they are Peugeots!

The official Peugeot reason for having the vent fan running at all times (ACC or IGN on) positions, is to maintain a slightly positive cabin pressure with all windows closed. This ensures that there is a constant turn-over of air within the cabin (via the air extractor vents), which promotes driver alertness etc.

This does not unduly shorten the fan life - the original motor bushes were lacking in a good long term lubricant anyway. A rebushed or replaced fan motor should give a longer life. However, I would be refitting the sound/heat insulation around the fan to protect it, as well as lowering the cabin noise. Also, try not to have the fan speed on maximum all the time (especially in the AC mode during summer).

As to the electrical load, providing you have a decent 11 plate battery, total electrical consumption, including a stereo and stacker, if fitted, will not cause a problem for several hours in the ACC position. The small globes for the window switches etc are very low wattage.

My membership of the 505 club includes an 84 STI Executive (manual) with nearly 380,000 km, and an 86 GTI Series 2 with only 140,000 km. The GTI sits a little lower to the road, and has more sporty handling compared to the STI. This is also helped by the tyre specs of a GTI (195/60) compared with 195/65 of the STI. As open road cars, I find both equal to a few, and better than most other "modern" sedans that I have driven.

I notice that you are from Melbourne. My brother Mal manages Deymo parts in Greensborough, owns several 505 GTI's, and professionally services them as well. His knowledge of these cars is excellent. Give him a call if that is of interest.

Cheers,
Kim.

I guess I'll just learn to live with the fan being on then. :) BUT... I just discovered that the fan IS making squeaking noises when put on a high speed. Another thing to be added to the "things to do" list... disappro

KIMDEB:

I notice that you are from Melbourne. My brother Mal manages Deymo parts in Greensborough, owns several 505 GTI's, and professionally services them as well. His knowledge of these cars is excellent. Give him a call if that is of interest.
Thanks, I've been trying to locate places where I could get servicing and stuff done in the northern suburbs of Melbourne where I live. Deymo and French Connection are the only two that I know of so far.

There are quite a few around the Eastern Suburbs, with Universe Motors, Regan (if you ever need a new part, call Regan - the other day I went there. They had brand new headlight protectors for a 505 for $60. Not too bad) and Bob Watson to name a few.

Out at Bayswater there is PugWreck - probably the best place to get 2nd hand parts for any old Pug. Up near you (kinda, East Keilor) there is Reno Spares who also wreck old Peugeots.