Headlight dipping

Paul
What you need is the Renault Factory manual M.R 218 - 77 01 446 215 Edition Anglaise covering models R1360-R1362 handy also to have all the additional IS (information Service) updates. MR 218 is the Mechanical including electrical harness etc.

There is very Large USA Edition 8980 000 111 set of IS Notes that covers the US versions of Renault vehicles sold in the U.S including M.R. 238 Fuego -mechanical (yellow cover) quite a heavy book to post.. I got my copy from USA Ebay many years ago. Probably worthwhile to get one if you can find a copy in the US. (has been helpful with hints for our configuration of Feugo)

We got the R1363 GTX model that was exported to Australia

I have noted your email and will check in with you soon.

Ken

Col, does your Fuego have one or two stalks on the left side of the steering column? Mine as just the one and I have received the new stalk/switch from Italy but it is not the same as my existing one. I also received the Haynes manual today and it shows two stalks. Cheers, Paul

I don't have a Fuego anymore, but FuegoFan has described exactly what we had here in Australia in post #40

I don't have a Fuego anymore, but FuegoFan has described exactly what we had here in Australia in post #40
Good to see that two electricians Col and Paul are conversing -tried to attach PDF's but not working for me..

Attachments

• Fuego Lighting +1.pdf
    696.8 KB · Views: 233
  • Fuego Lighting+2.pdf
    506.8 KB · Views: 235
Reactions: COL
... -tried to attach PDF's but not working for me..

Au contraire - you've attached 2 x PDF files perfectly! They don't display in the text of your post like photos now do, but can be downloaded and opened without any trouble!

Au contraire - you've attached 2 x PDF files perfectly! They don't display in the text of your post like photos now do, but can be downloaded and opened without any trouble!
Thanks Armadillo , I clicked on them nothing happened, not used to the new wonders of Aussie Frogs - Paul should already have these as they are PDF's of pages in MR 218, which should be specific for his vehicle, I have also sent an email to make things easier. there are 65 pages in the C section of the Factory manual. I'll probably copy them all to a USB stick as a indoor job while it is wet and cold tomorrow.

Regards
Ken

I have looked at the PDF files and the stalk (59) is definitely different on the US delivered 2.2 L fuego that I have. I looked again at the switches being sold in Europe including the one that I bought for $100 US. On one site it states that it is not suitable for the 2.2L model. I have just the one stalk for lights, horn and turn indicators. It can only be operated by turning the end from off to sidelights and to headlights. It can be pulled towards the driver that will flash the main beams if the lighting switch is in the off position. I suspect that when the lights are turned on there is a “click” as a switch is operated inside the steering column that changes the lighting from high to low beams. My stalk just springs towards the driver with no click and non operation of the main beams. I originally thought that there was a changeover flip flop relay but now believe there is a piece of plastic broken off inside the switch. I cannot find the correct unit on the web, just the unit for other models that were delivered in Europe and Australia.

The unit that I bought in Italy was made by Jaeger. The other that I have found on the web that I think could be the correct on for my car was made by Valeo but is out of stock.

I really need to get my hands on the correct manual for my car. I have a Haynes manual that covers 1983 and 1984 models with sub 2 litre engines, does not cover 1985 2.2L model.

I'm thinking that maybe there is nothing broken in the switch. The lube that lubricates the switch mechanism has probably dried up over the past 30 or so years. So what I would try as a fix is to squirt some silicone spray into the switch mechanism and see if that make dipping function swap from low to high. My quick :2cents: fix.

Looking through the US produced Information (IS) service notes compiled by Myriad Services 8835 General Drive Plymouth, MI 48170 1-800-AMC-CARS (doubt that exists) but were the distributors of the large volume of updates for AMC, Jeep, Service operations Renault. The May 1984 IS note 15E for the 1984 Sportswagon (Renault 18) lists revisions to workshop Manual M.R. 220 Renault 18 and lists a 2.2 liter engine plus a list of contents, the electrical listed is more mechanical it does mention the engine model as J7T and gives a fuse panel configuration for the R 18 on page C-7, but without knowing exactly if it applies to your vehicle there is also an IS update 17E for the 1985 sportswagon.
The IS notes for the MR 238 factory manual updates are through to December 1984 for the 1368-136A Fuego including turbo models
IS notes 4E (1982 engine electrical) 5E (November 1983) all models and servicing sunroof. service and diagnosis,
IS Note 6E March 1983 (Updates to MR 238 ignition systems -turbo models - clutch turbo models also IS Note 7E - one page turbo
IS Note 8E October 1983 updates to MR 238 - turbo models IEI Ignition TDC sensor specifications
IS Note 9E November 1983 Fuego 1368 models -Auto transmission 4 page update
IS Note 10E February 1984 Fuego 1368-136A - Tail light diagnosis (installing shimpacks behind circuit boards) 2 page
IS Note 11E March 1984 Fuego Turbo 136A -engine dipstick replacement for Turbo.1 page
IS Note 12E March 1984 -Auto transmission new design sprag clutch 2 page
IS Note 13E May 1984 (MR 238 Fuego 1368-136A Update and revision of Workshop Manual, 2.2 liter engine etc with list of contents
B section Engines B1 to B51
C section Electrical C1 to C-17
D section Clutch D1
E section Manual Transmission E 1 (NG3 066 transmission fitted refer to B.V. NG repair manual)
F section Auto Transmission F1 to F16
G section Front axle G1
K section Brakes K1 to K6
L section Heating and air conditioning etc L1 to L11 (not much shown other than fuse board.)

IS Note 15E January 1985 -Disc pads Girling or Bendix (Bendix pads part # 7701 202 217 2 page
IS Note 16E November 1984 -removing shipping spacers from front coils of imported vehicles.
So quite a lot of update information sheets hard to pick out what you might need - I have sent an email to you to open communications if I can help you further.

Ken

Ken,
There’s a mountain of information available it would seem. I am focused on the electrical and fuel injection system for my car. I still have a car that as idling beautifully one minute and the next minute gives a spit and now stalls. The lighting circuit and control has to be fixed before I can register it in Connecticut.
There is a myriat of vacuum lines including one for the cruise control. Even the throttle is controlled by a vacuum unit as opposed to electrical servo. Thanks a million for all your help. Paul

Ken,
There’s a mountain of information available it would seem. I am focused on the electrical and fuel injection system for my car. I still have a car that as idling beautifully one minute and the next minute gives a spit and now stalls. The lighting circuit and control has to be fixed before I can register it in Connecticut.
There is a myriat of vacuum lines including one for the cruise control. Even the throttle is controlled by a vacuum unit as opposed to electrical servo. Thanks a million for all your help. Paul
Paul you mention Fuel Injection, - is that correct as I can attach some PDF files for the Fuel Injection System .
Ken

Ken, yes my car is fuel injected and has a heap of vacuum lines associated with the system. I would appreciate as much information as possible please.

Ken,
The vacuum line for the cruise control may be worth looking at as it’s an aftermarket fitment.
632AA903-DD7B-454C-B21D-430DF1244A19.jpeg

Ill try to attach pages B22 and B23 Fuel injection system Information Service bulletin 13E (uploaded file too large)

Try again with individual PDF attachments

Attachments

• img372.pdf
    770.1 KB · Views: 230
Two more

Attachments

• img373.pdf
    442.3 KB · Views: 202
  • img374.pdf
    605.6 KB · Views: 213
Paul are those PDF's similar to your car as I have saved another 22 on a USB stick - won't put them up here unless others are interested, I see how many I can attach at one go. (Three at a time it seems )

Attachments

• img385.pdf
    641.9 KB · Views: 240
  • img376.pdf
    546.3 KB · Views: 236
  • img377.pdf
    530.6 KB · Views: 226