Headlight dipping

The page from the manual that was copied to me shows a board with relays. Where is this board located, is it in the cabin on the driver’s side under the steering wheel? There is a flap that exposes the fuses. Are the relays behind this?
What manual was this diagram copied from and where could I get a copy please?
Spot on. The relays are located behind the fuse panel. Two screws to remove. The manual is Haynes Owners Workshop Manual. There’s always a few available on EBay.
27DBCD1D-F911-4143-8817-54A82204F2EF.jpeg

Bought a Haynes workshop manual, used, online from Amazon. Should be here in a few days. My car is a one owner 51000 mile one and in immaculate condition apart from the headlight problem and a corroded heater core. I performed bypass surgery on the heater until I can find a core. When I lived in Australia I had a “fleet” of Renaults and was determined to own one here. Only the Renault 17 and Fuego were imported by American Motors (Rambler) but that ended in 1985. I was very fortunate to find my fuego, the previous owner is terminally ill unfortunately and his daughter advertised the car.

You’re welcome, and congrats on your Fuego. Enjoy!

I just picked up my eighth Fuego after a break from French cars for over 20 years. It too is a low mileage example with under 73,000km travelled and 2 owners. It just needs a little mechanical love after only 1,200km in the past 10 years.

Thank you and enjoy your “new one”. If you come across a heater matrix (core) please bear me in mind. I’m sure that once my manual arrives I’ll be able to sort the lights out. This car has factory cruise control, tried it yesterday and it works well. Like the pictures of your previous cars. Cheers, Paul

i was thinking it may be not latching in the switch but how douse it know not to latch when the light switch is off ,then latch when it is on ,i came to the conclusion it must be operating a relay ,i to am an electrician ,so common logic,have a look at the switch ,see if you can see anything loose or broken ,rotating the shaft may bring something into play that activates the latching ,plastic getting old now and fragile .pugs

I think that when the light switch is off the latching circuit is disabled. The relay is just sitting there inactive but when you pull the stalk towards the steering wheel the circuit between the high beam cable and 12 volt positive is made. When you turn the knob on the tip of the stalk to the headlight position the latching circuit is activated and the low beam lights are illuminated. I reckon that once the relay circuit is working correctly , even if you turn off the lights on high beam and then turn them on again, they will come on low beam but I’ll only know this once I have fixed the problem. I still think the problem lies on a circuit board and not on the light switch or stalk. Cheers, Paul.

I can’t wait to receive my Haynes manual. It is for the American market fuego cars and is coming to me from a used book seller in Texas. I’ve just hit another problem. The car was running beautifully yesterday but when I started it this morning it gave a small backfire and now wont idle. It’s fuel injected.

Does anyone know where the vacuum line comes from that supplies a vacuum unit on the throttle body. If I manually operate this vacuum unit it pulls the throttle open. The vacuum line is a long one that travels along the top of the radiator then disappears down to the bottom under the battery.

The page from the manual that was copied to me shows a board with relays. Where is this board located, is it in the cabin on the driver’s side under the steering wheel? There is a flap that exposes the fuses. Are the relays behind this?
What manual was this diagram copied from and where could I get a copy please?

The relays are behind the fuses.

There are no headlight relays located there. The headlights are direct wired to the light switch. Remove the cover around the steering column to get access to the light switch. There you will be able to measure the voltages as they leave the switch.

Do you have a wiring diagram? if not PM me your email and i will scan one for you and attache to an email.

Col,
Many thanks, i would appreciate your emailing me the wiring diagram as the manual I bought is not due to arrive until 18th July. My email address is. Killingworth866@gmail.com. Is the stalk supposed to give a switching click when pulled towards the steering wheel. Mine just has a smooth springing action and flashes the high beams when the light switch is twisted to the off position. In the event that the switch is faulty, I have ordered a new one from an eBay seller in Europe. Many, many thanks. Paul

Col,
Many thanks, i would appreciate your emailing me the wiring diagram as the manual I bought is not due to arrive until 18th July. My email address is. Killingworth866@gmail.com. Is the stalk supposed to give a switching click when pulled towards the steering wheel. Mine just has a smooth springing action and flashes the high beams when the light switch is twisted to the off position. In the event that the switch is faulty, I have ordered a new one from an eBay seller in Europe. Many, many thanks. Paul

I can't remember if it clicks or not as it is a long time ago when I had a Fuego.

I'll scan some circuits for you tomorrow when I get back from town and email to you.

From your description and looking at the diagrams I have here I think your light switch is faulty and you have done the right thing to source a new one.

Col, looking forward to getting your eail.

Need help with the following problem. Took the car out on Saturday, no problem at all. Started it this morning, gave a “spit” and now won’t idle, stalls. However, it runs perfectly on the highway but cuts out when I stop. I filled the tank with standard 87 octane fuel on Saturday, probably should have filled it with premium. Could this be the problem and correct itself when I fill it with premium. It’sthe 2.2 litre fuel injected model and there’s a lot of vacuum tubing and vacuum solenoids in the motor. Cheers, Paul

Col, I’ve been looking online and discovered that there is an idle air control valve. Could you look in the manual and see where it is located, I can’t wait to get my own manual. Thanks, Paul

I can't remember if it clicks or not as it is a long time ago when I had a Fuego.

I'll scan some circuits for you tomorrow when I get back from town and email to you.

From your description and looking at the diagrams I have here I think your light switch is faulty and you have done the right thing to source a new one.
I agree. The switch/stalk sounds faulty. Looking at the operation of the lights in the glovebox owners handbook for LHD models, the high beams are activated by moving the stalk towards the steering wheel when the main beams are on. This is a different operation to RHD models.

Col, looking forward to getting your eail.

Need help with the following problem. Took the car out on Saturday, no problem at all. Started it this morning, gave a “spit” and now won’t idle, stalls. However, it runs perfectly on the highway but cuts out when I stop. I filled the tank with standard 87 octane fuel on Saturday, probably should have filled it with premium. Could this be the problem and correct itself when I fill it with premium. It’sthe 2.2 litre fuel injected model and there’s a lot of vacuum tubing and vacuum solenoids in the motor. Cheers, Paul
Sounds like a consequence of low quality, dirty or low grade fuel. In Australia we didn‘t get the 2.2 FI model in the Fuego, but I have always used 95 or 98 octane fuel. Saying this, I have had the same stalling problems on a couple of my Fuegos due to vacuum leaks.

Col,

Email sent.

Col, does your Fuego have one or two stalks on the left side of the steering column? Mine as just the one and I have received the new stalk/switch from Italy but it is not the same as my existing one. I also received the Haynes manual today and it shows two stalks. Cheers, Paul

The new switch has two lighting positions, sidelights and headlights, horn and turn indicator. It seems that the European cars had a master lighting switch incorporating high beam and low beam.

Hi Paul. Aussie Fuegos have 2 stalks on the right side of the steering column. The smaller one closest to the steering wheel is for indicators only, and the larger combination stalk operates the lights and horn (Press the end of this stalk to sound the horn). I believe this is the same as the European models, just positioned on the left instead of the right side. The large stalk has 2 lighting positions - main beam 1 click downward and high beam another click down. These only operate once the stalk is ‘turned‘ towards the steering wheel to activate the parking lights. Plus, headlight ‘flash’ is operated by pulling the stalk towards the steering wheel. Hope this makes sense!