Headlight dipping

Levyyy1943

Tadpole
I live in the USA and have just purchased a 1985 Fuego. I know it sounds silly, but can someone tell me how to switch between low beam and high beam. If I just pull the light stalk towards me the main beam will flash and the blue indicator lamp shows.

Once I switch on the lights, the low beams come on but I can’t switch to high beam. I suspect it may be a relay problem but there is nobody here that has a clue about Renault cars. The last ones were imported into the US in 1985.

I welcome all suggestions

Is it one of the old style stalks where you push the stalk away to turn on the high beam ?

Cheers

Justin

Is it one of the old style stalks where you push the stalk away to turn on the high beam ?

Cheers

Justin
Justin,

No, you can only twist the stalk from off to park lights to low beam or pull it towards you to flash the high beams. Many thanks for your suggestion, I wish you were right. Regards, Paul

Its being a number of years since I owned a Fuego , but , does the stalk twist through a further 90 degrees to the hi-low position , or is that the Citroen stalk I am thinking of.

Its being a number of years since I owned a Fuego , but , does the stalk twist through a further 90 degrees to the hi-low position , or is that the Citroen stalk I am thinking of.
No, it doesn’t twist any further than the headlight position. Regards, Paul.

I live in the USA and have just purchased a 1985 Fuego. I know it sounds silly, but can someone tell me how to switch between low beam and high beam. If I just pull the light stalk towards me the main beam will flash and the blue indicator lamp shows.

Once I switch on the lights, the low beams come on but I can’t switch to high beam. I suspect it may be a relay problem but there is nobody here that has a clue about Renault cars. The last ones were imported into the US in 1985.

I welcome all suggestions
I can only speak for the Australian delivered model, but once the main beams are on, you move the stalk one click in a downwards motion.

Found this in the owners manual for LHD models
A5A625F3-A096-4471-8142-D6DC93F6EAF0.jpeg

Thanks for that
With the lights turned off, pulling the stalk towards the steering wheel will flash the high beams. With the lights turned on, pulling the stalk towards the steering wheel does not change the lights from low beam to high beam. I believe that the flip flop relay is broken. I don't know where to look for this relay. For sure, that is how you change from low beam to high beam and vice versa.

It occurred to me that the problem might be blown high beam filaments? Easier to fix than relays......

Kim,
Nothing wrong with lamps they work when I operate the stalk in normal driving mode as if I'm going to flash an oncoming vehicle. It's when I turn on the lights and want to change between high beam and low beam that I can't. Regards, Paul

Kim,
Nothing wrong with lamps they work when I operate the stalk in normal driving mode as if I'm going to flash an oncoming vehicle. It's when I turn on the lights and want to change between high beam and low beam that I can't. Regards, Paul

Without studying the diagram, would not the same relay operate both the flash and the high beam? Can't imagine why you would need two?

be interesting to see what happens when the two relays in diagram 10.5b are swapped ,a picture showing the relays and what they do would be a great help .nothing in the owners manual ?

I have had time to have a look in my Haynes Fuego Workshop Manual, there are no relays for the head lights. The head lights are wired straight from the light switch to the head lights.

I think your problem is in the light switch. The light switch must be an over centre affair and i'm guessing that it is not switching over from low to high beam. It may have broken something inside or may be just gummed up.

Anyway if you remove the cover around the steering column you will be able to get access to the light switch. From the circuit diagram I have looks like the red wires are low beam and the blue wires are high beam.

Been over 15 years since I owned a Fuego, nice car to drive.

Let us know how you get on.

I’m happy with the response I’m getting to my problem. The issue as I see it is that the stalk, when pulled towards the steering wheel, does not have an audible click or switching feel. It is just spring loaded which led me as an electrician (retired) to summise that once the knob on the stalk is turned to the headlight position, the circuit is wired so that pulling the stalk towards the steering wheel fires a relay that is a flip flop. Pulled once contacts flip to high beam, pulled again flops to low beam. Why do you think that when the light switch is turned off pulling the stalk towards the wheel activates the high beams plus blue indicator light but when the switch is turned to headlights, the low beams come on but the stalk does nothing when pulled towards the wheel. A frustrating mystery and one that is worrying since I found the car in California and had it transported to Connecticut where I will have to have it registered. It will fail inspection with the lights as they are and there is nobody here who will work on the fuego. I have to do it myself. Cheers, Paul.

The page from the manual that was copied to me shows a board with relays. Where is this board located, is it in the cabin on the driver’s side under the steering wheel? There is a flap that exposes the fuses. Are the relays behind this?
What manual was this diagram copied from and where could I get a copy please?