Headlamp Protection

pottsy

Citroen Loony & BMC Nutter.
VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Can anyone help with a supplier of a self adhesive, preferably fairly heavy, clear film to put over the DS headlamp covers?

I've seen stuff around (K-mart I think) pre-cut for Commoborings and the like, but can't seem to find a supplier in Melbourne.

From what I can gather 3M make a paint protection film that looks like the ducks nuts, but no-one lists it in bulk as far as I can tell.

Anyone have a better idea to protect the glass covers?

Pottsy

I can remember a couple of long time AF members who were going to do something about this sort of thing about a zillion years ago. One lives in Wollongong and the other lives in Brisbane and owns a printing business...

Anyway, the solution is to find the Scotch/3M brand stuff sold by Altrex (.com.au but the page is useless). I bought some from our local Autopro store which seems to be the only mob that stock the cut your own packs. The cut your own comes in various size packs of two sheets and the one I bought recently was $37.50 for a pack with 2x 450x200mm sheets. I used one of these to make fog light protectors for the XM.

You will of course need to work out the best size to cut a shape for the DS, but I think you will have to buy the biggest size you can.

If you are well into your DS by now, you should know how to remove the front wings. Do this and then proceed to carefully remove the light assemblies from inside the wing. There are small clamps (IIRC) that hold the glass against the inside of the wings. You need to get to these to remove the glass so that you can then shape and stick the film to it then replace the lot being careful as you have now added a few mm to the equation. Of course if you do it right you will not be able to see the film edge from outside when complete.

Others in CCC of NSW have done this and have never done a glass. It is also near invisible if done well.

When I bought my D it had a set of perspex stick on things that attached with suction cups. These were OK but I lost one when a truck sucked it off as it went past. Also look pretty daggy compared to the normal D lines.

Give it a go and see how you go.

If someone who may be of the sang verte name can come up with an alternative supplier or price that would be really good too.:D

Thanks. I'll chase that up. I have to remove the headlamp assemblies anyway to make new headlamp adjust/tilt couplings, mine are broken. The glass is slightly loose in the wing already so I anticipate there should be clearance. I was hoping to find a pair of the suction cup jobbies to make the car into a replica of Car 11 from the 1970 Ampol trial. (For next year's re-run) and I still may end up making a set for cosmetic reasons. I want to protect the glass for normal driving anyway.

UFO said:
Pottsy

I can remember a couple of long time AF members who were going to do something about this sort of thing about a zillion years ago. One lives in Wollongong and the other lives in Brisbane and owns a printing business...

If someone who may be of the sang verte name can come up with an alternative supplier or price that would be really good too.:D

Subtle.... I'll look into it, and report back with costs :wink2:

Cheers
Chris

pottsy said:
From what I can gather 3M make a paint protection film that looks like the ducks nuts, but no-one lists it in bulk as far as I can tell.

Anyone have a better idea to protect the glass covers?

I'll check with a contact at 3M.

Couple of phone calls this morning, Avery have a product we can buy wholesale.

Avery 2010 Transparent Stoneguard
325micron modified PVC film, suitable for flat, curved and compound curved surfaces. UV stable and will not yellow with age. Is also used to protect body panels that are prone to stone damage, sills etc.

We can buy this by the metre in roll widths of 1000mm. (would be enough to cover 10 DS lights)

As a courtesy to our supplier I won't mention their list price, but if you have any interest send me a PM. (much cheaper than the figure Craig has quoted) :wink2:

Cheers
Chris

pottsy said:
Thanks Chris. PM on the way. I assume we also need some adhesive?

Pottsy, no adhesive required, the material is a self-adhesive. I'll see if I can get a data sheet in .pdf form and post it here. :wink2:

Still pursuing the 3M product to make a comparison...

Cheers
Chris

Hello World, just came up for air and saw this thread.

Mr GB, I have that on my 16V that was close enough to you at last years FCD to bite you and it was equipped with it.
Only problem I have found with it so far has been that if you leave your car out for display at FCDs, old farts in flat caps sneakily look over their shoulders and proceed to try to punch holes in it with their bloody car keys to see if it is on there or if you have xtra thick glass!! :mallet: :mallet: :mallet: and if same aforesaid O/F is reading this, then yes, I did see you giving it a poke you vandalistic old bugger :nownow: :nownow:
For the record, being such a sedate driver as I am, I kept getting holes punched through my headlights as well as constantly trashing my driving lights. Had no problems since (apart from the ones I mention above) :mad:

Alan S

Hmmm... methinks I should chase up that DS door handle for sang verte this weekend. It sounds like he is onto something here. You just need to source a DS headlight glass to make the template for cutting (make it the full size of the glass so it fits inside the wing as described above).

I also predict you will be onto a winner with this one.

Al - I have had the 3M stuff on the headlights of the XM since Cit In 2003 at Maleny. Never a problem. I also keep a watch out for crotchety old key pokers too. I suppose better that than someone poking a key in your crotch:eek:

I think Autobarn in Brisbane stock something that's made for that job. Alan M has it on his GTA headlights, as they are over $300 a side to replace the glass.

I went in to Super cheap auto today and there was a do-it -yourself pack there that you just cut to size and rip the backing off and voila!
It costs less than $20 and I've seen it on Alan's BX and it is very good...a little late for my CX as it is heavily chipped, but I'll be using it for sure once I've got shiny headlamps like yours. Oh, and I got lots of other stuff there and it really is cheap and the superworks tools apparently have quite a good rating.
Andy :D