Headlamp Level Sensors

RINGER

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Just got this in RockAuto's January newsletter & thought it good to share:

Headlamp Level Sensors
Tom's Story

There used to only be high beams and low beams. Now I often am not sure what sort of light is shining in my face. Did that driver just flash his high beams at me or are his vehicle's headlamp assemblies not properly bolted down and bouncing around a bit? Newer HID and now LED headlamp systems continuously adjust headlight aim. If your vehicle has one of these automatic headlight aiming systems and you have trouble seeing and/or are blinding oncoming drivers then your vehicle may have Headlamp Level Sensor problems.
You might expect headlamp level sensors to be part of the headlamp assembly, but they are actually typically mounted on the vehicle's rear suspension or on both the front and rear suspensions. The mechanical arms on the headlamp level sensors detect when the suspension compresses or expands and that information is used to adjust the aim of the headlights using motors in the headlamp assemblies.
Typical Headlamp Level Sensors
Typical Headlamp Level Sensors
The headlamp level sensor is often the first part of the automatic headlight system to fail because it is located in the harsh environment under the vehicle. Water and salt may seep into the sensor or its electrical connector. Debris may damage the slender mechanical arms that connect the sensor to the suspension. The sensors may also be inadvertently damaged when suspension or exhaust components are replaced.
A failing headlamp level sensor may generate a computer trouble code, but there may not be a trouble code if the sensor's mechanical arm is broken or bent. The computers will just assume the suspension is constantly being compressed or expanded by some unusual load inside the vehicle or by some unusually steep or curvy road and misaim the headlights accordingly. It may be necessary to get under the car and inspect the headlamp level sensors for physical damage.
Replacing headlamp level sensors typically requires removing and reinstalling a couple of bolts and the electrical connector and then briefly driving the vehicle until the automatic headlamp aiming system calibrates itself. Consult your vehicle's owners manual and/or repair manual (found under "Literature" at RockAuto.com) for specific installation and calibration instructions. See the Headlamp Level Sensors for your specific vehicle under "Body & Lamp Assembly" in the RockAuto.com catalog.
Tom Taylor,
RockAuto.com​

I live out in the country (bumpy roads) and every 2nd vehicle must have faulty headlight sensors.🙈
Are these an ADR requirement or just something the manufacturers believe we "must have"?
I've always managed to get where I'm going in the dark without them.🤔

Also ensure you fill up your headlight and blinker fluid.
May as well check your tail lights as well
Light Fluids

Mmmm, I had a look, ADRs for HID headlights that exceed 2000 lumen state ; "must have self-leveling and self- cleaning systems fitted".

i dont think i will have to worry to much about that, then !

Mmmm, I had a look, ADRs for HID headlights that exceed 2000 lumen state ; "must have self-leveling and self- cleaning systems fitted".
And I guess the vehicles are typically unroadworthy due to no maintenance. Like opaque plastic headlamp covers and front tyres observed in car parks....... The problem of dazzling oncoming headlamps is getting steadily worse I reckon.

i have in the past spoken to a driver stopped next to me in traffic about the wires showing through the tread on there front tyre ,getting a blank look and they drove off , seems people are too broke or un interested in maintaining there car till it stops going or a warning light comes on ,at least here in N.S.W ,they have to be checked out for rego yearly ,its not uncommon to drive behind a vehicle that's going down the road at an angle ,something wrong there ,!

i have in the past spoken to a driver stopped next to me in traffic about the wires showing through the tread on there front tyre ,getting a blank look and they drove off , seems people are too broke or un interested in maintaining there car till it stops going or a warning light comes on ,at least here in N.S.W ,they have to be checked out for rego yearly ,its not uncommon to drive behind a vehicle that's going down the road at an angle ,something wrong there ,!
I remind them, when I can, that they might kill a child and be uninsured... If the police/insurance check the vehicle after the accident that is!