Hard Braking BX Judder

MKUK

Fellow Frogger
Hello there, I'm concerned about my brakes. I live in Milton Keynes in the UK, it's a new town, built in 70s with wide straight dual carriage ways varying between half and three miles long, all punctuated by roundabouts. From end to end the town is about 6 -7 miles. So I drive across town over 6 roundabouts accelerating up to 90mh and braking down to a stoop at each roundabout. By the last roundabout I've noticed a judder, a bit like the abs kicking in but quicker and duller. Is this my discs overheating? My m8 just asked me the boiling point of LHM (mines fresh).. surely not. I've just chucked on original textar pads, checked the discs and they're all fine. Any ideas?

Hi,

you say you've changed the LHM, what is extremely important is you need to bleed new fluid through the brakes. The brakes are a 'Dead end' in a Citroen and the fluid doesn't circulate, Open the bleed screws and bleed the brakes on each brake caliper until fresh clear green fluid flows (rather than the scarey looking black stuff that you'll see).

Your brake rotors sound like they will be slightly warped. Even if they are brand new I've heard of them being warped in the UK. There isn't an easy way to get them checked other than getting them tested.

regards

Shane L.

Another thought is, when you fitted the pads if you got grease, oil or LHM on the rotors, you could be getting "hot spots" by the time you get to the last roundabout. If you fitted rotors when the pads were done (or even previously) it is always a possibility that they may not be the quality of the originals & with brake rotors costing as low as less than 5 UKP over there, I think that would have to be a distinct possibility.

Alan S

I had to completely swap over the nearside hub, caliper, strut and drive shaft. The rotor looked fine and I was pretty careful about getting oil on the pads. I will check these out again though, cheers for the good advice. I bled the LHM on the nearside too. It was amazing how much crap came out. I really should have done the offside as well. I'm planning to grab some hydraflush and take advantage of it's availability here in the UK. I found a clean set of original GTI alloys. They're in great condition but there's so much metal on them I'm wondering if I've lost some brake cooling capability. Does anyone know the interchangeability of rotors between peugeot and Citroen. I'm imagining how good the brakes could be if they were grooved and vented. ;-)