GTI6 rotors on an S16

Brad

Fellow Frogger
I am about to order some slotted/drilled rotors for my S16 and am considering the GTI6 rotors as that are 283mm as opposed to 266mm on the S16. I know a spacer of 8.5mm would be required beween the brake assemble and the mount (is this even legal?), however the disk is also 2mm thicker at 22mm. Would this cause a problem with mounting?

I would assume this difference could be taken up be by pushing the ram in extra 1mm when monuting new pads (which would also push the outer clamp out by 1mm. The pads I have on would of easily worn down 1mm so the ones I have on wouldn't be a problem.

1.Find out if you can buy the caliper brackets for the GTI6 that would remove the need for spacers to correct diameter difference.
2. Calipers. will the pads cover all of the disc area?
3. Thickness: How will you change pads in the future?

What Im hinting at is the possibility of getting the whole kit if you need to upgrade the disks.
One way would be to check the part numbers at the local Pug dealer. If they are the same between the S16 and the GTi you are set. Pug wrecker?

Im getting new discs next weekend as mine are warped and they wont survive another machining. If you want I could post the old ones to you.

cheers
Voytek

I know you have the S16 but check out this link on the GTi6 conversion on the 205CTi. It talks about S16 brake bits as well.

<a href="http://www.205gti.com/techbrakeconvUK.htm" target="_blank">http://www.205gti.com/techbrakeconvUK.htm</a>

Voytek

Are you hinting at changing the whole caliper? That would cost a little wouldn't it?

I think all things being considered, if it wasn't as simple as getting a spacer made up, then I wouldn't bother. It's not like slotted disks with EBC green pads would suffer fade on the road or light track duty.

Reading that article, it's not worth the change if you haven't got the larger pads of the GTI6, which I wouldnt as these would sit in the S16 caliper properly (if at all).

Brad,

Im sure there would be a noticable difference but at what cost. More than 2_cents I bet. :D

If you still want the discs I could get them to you.

Freight wouldn't be cheap. I would only need 1. Would you be able to weight it so I can get an idea of the cost?

Hey Brad,

I'm just about to get myself new EBC brake rotors (looking at the Turbo Grooves, but I can be talked into the Trackdays :D ) for my S16 as well. Where abouts are you getting yours and what price? Maybe we could haggle the price down a bit if we bought 2 sets? I was going to get them from Autospeed if the mechanic couldn't source them. I'm also after new brake pads (Greenstuff) as well but I don't know what size I should be getting if I'm buying them myself. Anyways, let me know when you get a chance. Cheers.

Rich

Brad hows it doing mate?, ask the boys at esscargo(north shore rally sport), they did the brakes on my S16, perhaps they know best.
A bigger disc area woudn't be much better if you still use the same SA of pad? or have i not understood your thread correctly? good luck mate, Xq

Zen: I won a gift voucher for $150 from a place called Mercury Motorsport, so I will probably be sourcing them through there. Do you want the name of the contact I have there? They are $214.50 each from Autospeed, which is the same price Mercury quoted me. These are the TGD311's which are the track day grooved and dimpled rotors.

They used to make GD311, the difference being 1 less dimple and different material from what I can see.

<a href="http://www.autospeed.com/shop/category_1299/browse.html" target="_blank">http://www.autospeed.com/shop/category_1299/browse.html</a> This site shows you the difference in disks. If you select the GD311 at the top, you will note that you are referred to the TGD311's. I assume they are not making the GD311's anymore.

The D311's are $98, which is what I sent you the SMS about Chris. They are basic replacements. I have rang a mob called Harding Europen who are getting a quote for me on TGD311's too.

It will end up costing $450 for a set of TDG's delivered. With the $150 voucher they are $300. If I can find them elsewhere for around $300, I'll proably do that and spend the $150 on something else, though I doubt I could get them this low. Cal paid 350 fior a set at mates rates.

I think I might order them tomorrow if Hardings don't come back to me.

XQ: It all seems too hard to change over to GTI6 gear. You are right in that I would need to get new pads aswell to make the most of the larger disks, and at $160 a pop, when my greens are fine is a bit hexy. Even now with standard rotors I havent found the limit of the brakes, though I remember how hard yours pulled up that night we went for a spin.

I would think I might even need and engineering certificate to make it legit too. moon

Zen: you coming to the Grand Display this year at UQ? Check the thread in Car Club Announcements, will be a good day.

Phasis,

how urgently do you need the rotors?

Im getting DBA's (non grooved) for about $130ea - I think, will check tomorrow. Grooving is about $30 extra per rotor. (2 week wait though).

I could try to find out the prices by the end of this week.

Yep, I'll be there for sure. If you need a hand setting things up on either days, give me a yell.

Is there much performance difference between solid and vented rotors for everyday driving? I'll probably go the Turbo Groove GD615 solid discs for $121 each.

My S16's run of reliability has stopped... head gasket and radiator problems. The guys at Peugeotech have the car and are fixing it up. While it's there, I'm seeing if they can do a few things to it... K&N air filter, small exhaust upgrade, cam adjustments and the brake upgrade. Depending if there's scouring around the piston heads, I might be looking at getting new rings as well. I was actually thinking about getting the engine rebuilt and prolonging the life of the car (over 200k km, trade in value would have been squat) but this is just as good and probably cheaper.

Rich

Tekkie - I think I'll give the GTI6 upgrade a miss. All looks too hard for the minimal difference.

Zen - the rotors you have got quoted there are rears for the S16, not fronts. This is why they are solid as their thickness is only 8mm. The GD/TGD311's are fronts for the S16 and are 214.50 each while the OEM replacements are only $98.

I am now seriously considering these and spending the $250 I save elsewhere. The advantage (besides looks, which get lost behind the wheels anyway) are the only real benefit when I would probably only be looking at husing the extra benefit of the slotted ones perhaps twice a year.

Has anyone got any idea whether DBA are making rotors yet for the S16?

<small>[ 26 June 2003, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: Phasis ]</small>

Further to that, DBA make rotors for the 405 which will fit the 306 S16. Model number 274SL&R (left and right) in their long life slotted range for $137.21 each which is considerably cheaper. Delevered cost to me (with voucher) for all three are
EBC Slotted - $290
EBC Standard - $61
DBA slotted - $140

I think I'll go the DBA's now. Getting a confirmed price.

Hey, that's not too shabby. Can you email me your contact at Mercury (and product codes, etc.)? Hmmm, wonder if freighting 2 sets would be significantly cheaper... :p Thanks.

Phasis,

thats a very similar price to what I got quoted for the GTi6 rotors.
I have asked on the perf forums about rotor/disc combos and apparently the EBC pads dont like slotted rotors or vice versa. I have no confirmation on that from reliable 1st hand source. Apparently the wear is high on both.

Hence the reason Im using the non-slotted rotors on my road car. The track car on the other hand... evil

Voytek.

What was said was that the Greenstuff pads and the DBA slotted rotors didn't like each other. EBC rotors and Greenstuff pads is not a problem.

Its just something weird between the DBA's and pads.

Darren

Hmmmm...well, I will give them a go and see what happens.

Zen, contact is at work so I'll do it tomorrow. There will be a 2 week wait on these too frown

Darren,

I stand corrected thats indeed what was said.

Just pondering that at length I came up with a theory (could be waaaay off the mark).

EBC
Being fibrous in nature they need less resin and metal content to maintain the same fragmentation friction co-efficient. As a down side they heat up a tad more than the metal and dust only pads.
With grooves cut into the disk wouldnt the fibrous material be ripped by the rotor?
Once ripped the metal is more exposed and tend to gauage the rotor. Anyhow just a theory.

Parry uses slotted rotors and EBC Greenstuff pads and he seems a happy chappy with his brakes.

ciao