GS Ignition Lights Stay On

sparkey

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
'73 GS ignition lights (oil light/lhm light) not going off after turning key off and removing it from ignition (flattened battery overnight). Points/gap all good - thought may have been burnt out

If I had an ignition relay to track down would eliminate that as an issue, but from all my exploring nil to be found

Had dig around in dash & noticed a prior ignition bung (has about 7 pins). The current ignition has 4 screw connectors at the back (cleaned 'em up). Barrel was bit loose in houseing; tightened it up. Key was little sloppy; squirted electrical cleaner and clicks through all positions now

Cleaned obvious earth connections. Have disconnected earth while sorting this all out

It starts fine, runs but when you turn the key off no oil light, then after a few seconds it comes on (like a trip happening/not happening somewhere)

Noticed driving the other day, revs were fluctuating a bit on idle (research suggests that could be ignition relay - none to be found; even GS electrical schematic I consulted)

I'm thinking ignition barrel?

Ignition coil on the GS and many other Citroens runs straight from the ignition switch with not even a fuse. On the green machine, there was lots of voltage drop in the ignition switch so I had to install a relay to get battery volts to the ignition and the RE55 voltage regulator. We ordered a new switch to put on the back of the ignition lock and that solved all the voltage drop issues. I still kept the relay to be sure that the voltage regulator got a nice clean battery voltage to regulate the alternator against.

Sounds like your substitute ignition switch has failed to switch off properly.

Cheers, Ken

Thanks for feedback everyone

Col - Dr Googled alternator test (alternating multimeter diodes from alternator power source to body). Spare in shed 500 and 2.5 - Consistant with google test

But one on car 2.5 and 2.5 I don't get it. But anyway, seems to have fixed itself for the moment which is a bonus

KenW - I just put a new coil on (old one spec not up to scratch)

The whole experience had me looking for a rely, so your fix looks very credible