GS exhaust

andrewj

Fellow Frogger
Hi Everyone,

A big box of goodies has arrived from Französische Klassiker, including a heap of new exhaust parts for the Orange Wagon.

Any words of wisdom on how to approach this (i.e. order of bolting together, use of exhaust putty, etc, etc).

Cheers,
Andrew

Generally with the Citroen style of flare exhaust joints, I assemble them with a good slather of grease.
And anti seize paste on the clamp threads.
While tightening the clamps, I jiggle them and gently tap them in several directions with a small hammer, to encourage good seating of the flare, which is helped by the grease.
I never use exhaust putty, in fact I've never owned any such gumph, in over 40 years of Citroens.
After the first run to heat it up (yes the grease smokes a bit) retighten the clamps.
They are then good for many years, and easy to undo and refit.
With slip on sleeve joints I use anti seize paste, to lubricate the joint during tightening, and to help reduce corrosion, and help with future removal.

The only thing I would add is cv assemble loose and progressively tighten to get the best results. If you tighten each as you go it will leak. I however always use a slather of exhaust putty. What is not needed is squeezed out

I've so far had to do the whole system twice, and the more successful was to assemble the whole system loosely, with a small amount of high temp silicone on the flanges and of course grease on the clamp bolt threads, support the system in the correct alignmement on blocks/jackstands and then tighten progresively from the front to the rear as Peter suggests.

Andrew, how long did the order take? I need a height adjuster seal kit and the height selector bracket which he has in stock but concerned how long it might take.

Ian

Ian, the issue is weight with freight, small packages go with one service and bigger another, once you go over X weight the price drops by nearly double, I have some stuff ordered and paid and Daniel said if I throw some more stuff in it'll get here faster and cheaper! yep... small stuff could be over 6 weeks from last efforts.

Andrew with your exhaust prep ensure you have the bolt with spring in place on the gearbox to the y pipe as if it is ignored then the whole shebang will shake itself up like crazy.

I got a pair of drive shafts and a steering rack from Daniel before Christmas, freight was reasonable and came "Surface Air Lifted" in about 3 weeks.

...how to approach this (i.e. order of bolting together, use of exhaust putty, etc, etc).

Cheers,
Andrew
andrewj - when Mel from Citro (Smith St. Collingwood/Fitzroy) was selling up I grabbed some things from him and he said to use kitchen alfoil; fold it and seat it around the flared joint. It is a tricky manouver but honours his technique

Hi Everyone,

Thankyou for the advice and experiences! I was going to tackle the job today, but the wind was roaring and I couldn't hear myself think. So it will have to be later in the week. Will report back once I've made some progress.

Regarding shipping times, my experience was similar to Steven's - the light package arrived relatively quickly, despite being stuck in Melbourne over Christmas. (this included NOS fabric for re-trimming the birotor, which made me very happy :p)

The heavier package took a few weeks longer.

Cheers,
Andrew

Last edited:
I got a pair of drive shafts and a steering rack from Daniel before Christmas, freight was reasonable and came "Surface Air Lifted" in about 3 weeks.
the big packages seem to flow through, little things cop a big fee and take ages.