GS engine - timing scale remove/refit in situ?

Hi Leconte. Here is a photo of the scale on its bracket riveted to the motor. I would say that you will need to remove the dipstick, ducts, distributor to access it adequately, and still difficult, I suspect. I agree with forumnoreason that you could make/buy a scale and glue it in place. TDC is easy to determine, and the scale can be copied. Mine is accesible at the moment so I'm Happy to copy the degree chart on mine on cardboard and send it to you if that helps Cheers Ian
Hi Ian,
Can you measure the length along the scale curve between the zero and 30 degrees graduation on your motor? I think it is 68mm or possibly 68.5mm after printing Chris's scale and trying it out on mine. But with all the bits and pieces and my fingers in the way it is hard to be accurate (see picture below). You look like you have clear access at the moment.
Thanks Leconte
24A28241-9D65-4994-88E7-42C4C2B90B88.jpegF1DE8B24-0A11-43A6-80FE-9F711E1E8675.jpeg

Looking at the Citroen GS Manual 810-1, the dynamic timing for the 1220 engine is set using a timing light on No1 at 33 degrees at 2500rpm with no vacuum advance connected. So the replacement scale will need this point set accurately at 10 and 33 degrees. So you set it at 10 degrees static to get it started after adjusting the points and then you fine tune that with the dynamic setting of 33 degrees. Hopefully the centrifugal advance mechanism will be in good enough condition to bring the timing back to 10 degrees or less at a low idle to help with engine starting.

Cheers, Ken

Thanks Ken.
I have ordered a Hella timing light (7022 model also reads dwell angle + RPM) to help with this. I had to google what dwell angle was, having done so I realise that reading should help me check whether the points are set OK or not. Hope they are given you have to remove the distributor to adjust them. At least I can read off the current settings before adjusting anything once the light gets delivered.
Cheers Leconte