Gremlins

R17G

Fellow Frogger
1.The switch for the wash and wipe functions of the wipers of the 17 start the wipers moving as they should but they don't stop! Even if you turn the car off! The other functions work as they should. Do you think its the switch or the wiper relay?

2.Also is there such a thing as a horn relay?

3.How do you get the mirrors off the doors? They are screwed from the outside and yet have no screw heads!

Thanks!

R17G said:
1.The switch for the wash and wipe functions of the wipers of the 17 start the wipers moving as they should but they don't stop! Even if you turn the car off! The other functions work as they should. Do you think its the switch or the wiper relay?

2.Also is there such a thing as a horn relay?

3.How do you get the mirrors off the doors? They are screwed from the outside and yet have no screw heads!

Thanks!
1. Check the washer pump motor is in circuit. On my R17TS, this occurs if the washer pump is disconnected.

2. Not as standard.

3. No idea. Not sure what mirrors you have (standard?)

Europa said:
1. Check the washer pump motor is in circuit. On my R17TS, this occurs if the washer pump is disconnected.

2. Not as standard.

3. No idea. Not sure what mirrors you have (standard?)

Thanks about the idea on the wipers, I would say that this is the problem. Now to find the break in the circuit!

And yes the mirrors are the original items.

4. Anyone know how to get the windows operating smoothly?

R17G said:
Thanks about the idea on the wipers, I would say that this is the problem. Now to find the break in the circuit!

4. Set them according to the Haynes manual. Be as precise as you can. Use lots of grease in the slides. This goes for rear & front windows.

If the mirrors are the standard type fitted to all the early 70's Renaults (R12,R15,R16,R17), there's a small grub screw where the arm of the mirror enters the base. Loosen the grub screw (don't undo it completely and lose the thing) then the arm end of the mirror should be able to be lifted far enough to slide the mirror off the bracket.
It's a bit hard to describe but once you see how it's done it's easy.
Refitting, of course, is the reversal of the removal procedure.

Ren
:cheers:

R17G said:

Can the mirrors be confirmed as original? Any pics? Chrome with a curved arm from the mirror to the base? These ones are unique to the 15/17, and the base is screwed to the door. There are three types of mirror fitted to Renault's of the 1970's, early local production Wibroc (not used on 15/17's) where the base is held on by a grub screw to a plate screwed to the door. Then the later most common version from 12's and 16's where the base is screwed to the door then has a straight arm to the mirror, French production with a plastic surround to the mirror, the plastic can perish leading to the mirror dropping out.

If the suggested method of adjusting the windows doesn't work, it could be worn and sloppy baily channel felt, try somewhere like Rare Spares for replacement, or try using silicone spray to make things run smoother.

The good thing about 15/17's is that there is only two straight pieces of bailey channel in the whole car, so getting hold of it should be cheap!

Mostly I found that the problem is due to the rear plastic slider being out of adjustment, or the channel positioning was incorrect.

The windows won't break any speed records, but they should go up and down OK

Thanks I will give it another go.
And yes I believe the mirrors are original, I will try and get some pics.