Greed or delusion?

Back to the title, I would say it's delusion. Ask those who say you de-valued the brand how much they would like to pay to buy the car off the student.

That said, I do remember in the past there were questions here about whether or not we are devaluing the french brands with our complaints and the satisfaction expressed about how good a bargain french cars are.

My opinion is that the idea that you can somehow pump up a brand value by keeping prices up is just idiotic and secondly that whatever one does with their own car is their own business.

Regarding the former, the most delusional comment I heard was from a dealer who told us (we were test driving their new flagship, a nice car, about 70k+ driveaway) "we keep the price up because we want to reinforce the brand value". Who knows, maybe it works. You're definitely going to sell less cars (not that they had a lot of them available). It didn't work with us, though. We decided to let them keep the brand value and we kept our money.

Your right Schlitz,brand value and marketing and what is it people don’t listen to,beauty is only skin deep.got a brother in law with his ten year old top of range jeep grand Cherokee or whatever else they call it,sitting in his garage while he waits for a new Mitsubishi Outlander to arrive at dealership.the last two years he has had his hand in his pocket every couple of months 3grand here,5 grand there and so on.when he bought the car new he kept rattling of the marketing speil “I,m in” just about every time we saw him.he was right his hand is IN his pocket ,mentioned my wife’s Koleos was same age as his jeep,yes 50,000km less on koleos,but besides general services and tyres,brakes,no big bikkie defects and no recalls,…jim

Just landed in Brisbane after visiting my daughter in Townsville for a few days.
My daughter (who is an ER registrar) is still driving the Chinese Chery my wife bought new in 2011.
It's had FA problems, 1 battery, 1 front wheel bearing, 1 coolant bottle, 2 sets of front tyres, 1 set of rear tyres.
My wife said " you should buy yourself a nice new car".
My daughter goes "why this one runs fine".🤷‍♂️
It does, and it still presents well, good paint, perfect interior.
She could buy anything she wants, but it's just transport for her, not a status symbol.

Just landed in Brisbane after visiting my daughter in Townsville for a few days.
My daughter (who is an ER registrar) is still driving the Chinese Chery my wife bought new in 2011.
It's had FA problems, 1 battery, 1 front wheel bearing, 1 coolant bottle, 2 sets of front tyres, 1 set of rear tyres.
She could buy anything she wants, but it's just transport for her, not a status symbol.
Sounds like the ideal daily driver, no one likes working on the daily driver because it takes you away from playing with the real toys.

Prices for old Jap cars are silly.
A Holden Barina 1996 unregistered at $1600.
Very common.
A few years back it would be scrapped.
Now a 20 year old Barina unpeg is $2000 with mechanical issues.

GP,
your daughter is right.
No matter how in debt people feel the need to have "a nice" car to impress.
I note from experience that people who also worked at the hospital would deliberately open the doors of their 4WD's onto my Alfa.
I then drove the berlingo van to work and noticed it did not happen.
Draw your own conclusions?

Prices for old Jap cars are silly.
A Holden Barina 1996 unregistered at $1600.
Very common.
My partner had a 1998 SB Barina for years. (The first Spanish built model.) Gee it was a great little car, an absolute delight to drive. The ride and handling was fantastic. It had a manual setting under the bonnet to select 91 or 95 petrol, it changed the timing I think. We ran ours on 95 and it was nippy, when set to 91 it was a bit of a slug. We owned it to over 280,000 km and it was still like new - gleaming red paint, unmarked interior, perfect mechanically, full service history since new in a folder on the back seat when we traded it in on a new car in 2013. We checked later on Vic Roads, it never went back on the road after we traded it - checked rego, VIN and engine number, none on the system after our ownership, it must have gone to a wrecker. It would have been a great cheap car for a student, but I guess nobody wanted to take a plunge on a car with 280000 km. Such a shame, it was a wee ripper.