Great fuel economy from the Si today.

cam85

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Covered 1065km today. The mighty auto Si gave me 6.4 liters per 100km. Cruised on 110-120 most of the way and held 100 up the hills. About 3100-3200 rpm all day.

Needed the AC for half the trip also.

Stoked!

That's amazing. I'm thinking of getting one for my sister whom has killed every car she has owned either by breaking down or low-speed crashing. Any issues thus far?

Cam and I did a parts swap at Holbrook. Mine gave 7 litres a hundred, bit better actually, as the odo reads low due to bigger tyres. Mine has an S16 box which gives it a lot more go up hills but may have contributed to the lower economy.

That's amazing. I'm thinking of getting one for my sister whom has killed every car she has owned either by breaking down or low-speed crashing. Any issues thus far?

In contrast to the disaster story most people seem to have with GTis the Sis are near bullet proof.

Covered 1065km today. The mighty auto Si gave me 6.4 liters per 100km. Cruised on 110-120 most of the way and held 100 up the hills. About 3100-3200 rpm all day.

Needed the AC for half the trip also.

Stoked!

Don't get me wrong - you know I love the 205 - but to put the march of technology into perspective, that's slightly worse economy than I can get out of Lesley's X5 on a similar trip; and that weighs more than twice as much as a 205 and is probably pushing more than twice as much air out of the way. Modern engines are amazing.

P.S. - 1065km in a 205 in a day is huge! How's your back?

Don't get me wrong - you know I love the 205 - but to put the march of technology into perspective, that's slightly worse economy than I can get out of Lesley's X5 on a similar trip; and that weighs more than twice as much as a 205 and is probably pushing more than twice as much air out of the way. Modern engines are amazing.

205 Si seats are the best I've ever sat in bar none. I'm heading out again in mine for a 2 day tour around the Swan Hill area.
X5 is Diesel? compare with 205 Diesel if so.

205 Si seats are the best I've ever sat in bar none. I'm heading out again in mine for a 2 day tour around the Swan Hill area.
X5 is Diesel? compare with 205 Diesel if so.

I thought Si seats were the same as GTI with just a different cover? I find the GTI seats give me backache after a few hours.

Yes, the Truck is a diesel, so I take the apples and oranges point. I am often disparaging of my wife's choice of this vehicle (Shane would go on about 'Wank Tanks') but the sheer grunt and efficiency of that 3 litre diesel still amazes me and it's not even the current, most efficient version.

Too true.

Wonder what a 91 bmw would return.

Regarding the seats. Its either the fact Ive spent most of my time driving a 205 and have adapted or the seats are good. I do find the Si seats more comfortable.

Yes, I hate the GTi seats. Early ones too high, the later ones too hard on the edges because of the leather. S2 have that itchy wool fabric. I find any leather seats to be uncomfortable and I can't drive for more than a few minutes in my daughters Mazda SP23 (cloth) without being in back pain.

My mate did Adelaide to Sydney in a day in his 205 GTI which was stripped. I think he was deaf, crippled and mad by the time he got home...

The Si seats definitely feel more solid, but something about the GTI seats remind me of my old Courier's bench seats. Comfy as. I do agree, the wool fabric of the S2 seats is harsher than the S1s, however it seems to hold up better in the bolsters.

Would love an Si. Probably more than a GTi.
They are surprisingly rare in the various classifieds though.

Theres a few for sale. Most need work.

The red one that is for sale for 1500 on gumtree with a head gasket issue is a prime candidate for getting into a potentially good 205. Looks to have a great body and interior. The mechanical stuff is easy and fairly cheap!

Theres a few for sale. Most need work.

The red one that is for sale for 1500 on gumtree with a head gasket issue is a prime candidate for getting into a potentially good 205. Looks to have a great body and interior. The mechanical stuff is easy and fairly cheap!

Yeah, I have been looking at that one but my reality unless it's a runner and in my local area I couldn't do it. Thought I had secured a house with a 2 car garage last month but we got out bid at the last second.... So house hunting at the worst possible time yet that is our priority!

Yep, looks to be a good car.

Note the shine in the paint, from a very recent hose down?:)

I made an offer on the red Si but it was already sold :(

Too true.

Wonder what a 91 bmw would return.

Regarding the seats. Its either the fact Ive spent most of my time driving a 205 and have adapted or the seats are good. I do find the Si seats more comfortable.

What is the difference? I swapped bolsters and foam and cloth between my S1 GTI and a 1992 Si I bought for spares and couldn't see any difference. The frames looked absolutely identical as well. I am however not sure someone has not changed the GTI's seats for Si before I bought it.

What is the difference? I swapped bolsters and foam and cloth between my S1 GTI and a 1992 Si I bought for spares and couldn't see any difference. The frames looked absolutely identical as well. I am however not sure someone has not changed the GTI's seats for Si before I bought it.

If you know, you know.