Got the racing sim bug.

Fordman

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Following the recent e-racing events, my interest in sim racing has been rejuvenated, so I dragged out the 20 year old Thrustmaster 360 steering wheel and pedals, downloaded Assetto Corsa onto my desktop, and voila, having a bit of fun.
With the Italian Assetto Corsa program, what else to start practising on but a Fiat Bambina Abarth? After a few practice laps I was just about able to get around the track (Laguna Seca) without backing off - and it sounded great (brrrrr)!

I originally "played" Grand Prix Legends and Microprose GP4 (both purchased in 1999) but as I upgraded my PC a few times over the years, they no longer run on the later computers. So finding Assetto Corsa (about $30), and finding my old wheel still works on the later program is a bonus.
Next step is to download Bathurst, Sandown and Adelaide, and hopefully get some TCR cars on the system. I'm not interested in online competition, just having a bit of fun, and trying to perfect my lap times - I'm pretty hopeless really.

Cheers.

Good on you! I practice many hours flying on X-plane 11 with a joystick and pedals and I've dabbled in the BMW M3 Challenge, but a joystick makes for interesting maneuvering! I'll have to save up the pocket money for the steering wheel!

For me, the wheel makes the difference in completing a lap, or not completing a lap. My son used a joystick originally, but I was absolutely hopeless with it, hence family bought me a wheel and pedals years ago.
Later today I moved up to Monza (1966 with no chicanes) and a modern Lotus F1 car - brilliant!
Good graphics on Assetto Corsa, most tracks are scanned in now, not drawn, so fairly realistic.
Recommended fun.

I cant remember what Sim it was, but I was very happy to beat Murphys lap of the Gods time at Bathurst, the trick was to run through the sandtrap on top of the mountain, but not at full speed or one came to grief, but slight touch of the brakes and it shaved time off nicely.:dance::headbanger"

Yeah another tragic here.

I've been having a ball with GT Sport on the Ps5 and Rfactor 2 for all the historic open wheeler content.

BT33 at the old Tasmanian circuit Longford, a proper treat!

Have a laugh - watch my attempts to drive Bathurst - I need much more practice.
I have downloaded Bathurst and Sandown (free) and have now downloaded a fleet of 7 TCR cars (from the World TCR series).
Unfortunately, no Renault Megane, but the Peugeot 308 GTi (in the livery of Alex Comte, who was invited to Australia last year to compete in our TCR series) is one of them.
This is about my 4th practice lap with the 308GTi at Bathurst:

The Peugeot sounds great while driving it. Probably not as good on this video, as it is actually taken on my mobile from a replay, as one down side of Assetto Corsa is there is no easy way to upload to YouTube.
Great fun to drive!

Cheers.

Last edited:
Taking the plunge and wasting time on trivial pursuits - making a Sim Racing Setup.
Cheating a bit by buying the basic front frame via Amazon.au - $190 - at that price why would I stuff around trying to build something like that in my back shed. Still waiting for delivery, should be by end July.
Then for a decent seat, without paying around $300 for a new one. Went to a wrecker, told him what I wanted it for and he sold me a VE Commodore drivers seat $50. He probably thought (correctly) that this guy likes messing around with stuff, so he gave me an 8-way electric seat from a high range VE, bonus! It was pretty dirty, but when I cleaned it up it would actually be OK as a replacement in a car, no tears or burns, and in fact it appears to be faux leather trim, the only down side is the beigy colour, no problem, I was intending to put on a "sporty" style seat cover anyway. Probably get one of those garish Supercheap seat covers which I would normally avoid like the plague. I wasn't expecting an electric seat, but now I think it will just be pretty cool!
Now to get it working. As per the photo, it was a mass of wiring underneath, most of which is to do with the memory module for the adjustments. Have worked out that the motors only need the 2 main wires, and have checked each of the 4 motors for forward and reverse - no problems. I have now removed all the extraneous wiring and the module, leaving just 4 simple DC motors, which I will operate with 4 rocker switches on a side panel console which I will have to make. I have also removed the seatbelt and pre-tensioner assembly, and the airbag from the seat back - very carefully I might add!

I just need to knock up an extension frame to mount the seat.

(Edit: Sorry, I can't get rid of the double photos) (Hover on photo for brief file description).

SR00_Basic Frame.jpg

SR1_Electric Seat.jpg
SR2_Original assembly.jpg

SR3_Stripped down.jpg
SR4_Seatbelt Pretensioner.jpg
SR5_Seat Airbag.jpg
SR00_Basic Frame.jpg
SR1_Electric Seat.jpg
SR2_Original assembly.jpg
SR3_Stripped down.jpg
SR4_Seatbelt Pretensioner.jpg
SR5_Seat Airbag.jpg
SR6_Removing Airbag.jpg
SR7_Cleaned up.jpg

Last edited:
I
Taking the plunge and wasting time on trivial pursuits - making a Sim Racing Setup.
Cheating a bit by buying the basic front frame via Amazon.au - $190 - at that price why would I stuff around trying to build something like that in my back shed. Still waiting for delivery, should be by end July.
Then for a decent seat, without paying around $300 for a new one. Went to a wrecker, told him what I wanted it for and he sold me a VE Commodore drivers seat $50. He probably thought (correctly) that this guy likes messing around with stuff, so he gave me an 8-way electric seat from a high range VE, bonus! It was pretty dirty, but when I cleaned it up it would actually be OK as a replacement in a car, no tears or burns, and in fact it appears to be faux leather trim, the only down side is the beigy colour, no problem, I was intending to put on a "sporty" style seat cover anyway. Probably get one of those garish Supercheap seat covers which I would normally avoid like the plague. I wasn't expecting an electric seat, but now I think it will just be pretty cool!
Now to get it working. As per the photo, it was a mass of wiring underneath, most of which is to do with the memory module for the adjustments. Have worked out that the motors only need the 2 main wires, and have checked each of the 4 motors for forward and reverse - no problems. I have now removed all the extraneous wiring and the module, leaving just 4 simple DC motors, which I will operate with 4 rocker switches on a side panel console which I will have to make. I have also removed the seatbelt and pre-tensioner assembly, and the airbag from the seat back - very carefully I might add!

(Edit: Sorry, I can't get rid of the double photos) (Hover on photo for brief file description).

View attachment 123302
View attachment 123303View attachment 123304
View attachment 123305View attachment 123306View attachment 123307View attachment 123302View attachment 123303View attachment 123304View attachment 123305View attachment 123306View attachment 123307View attachment 123308View attachment 123309
Have to ask, if it's only you using the sim and the seat why do you need eight way adjustment? Perhaps your size varies between meals? I think the fixed Alpine seat arrangement would work well, be lighter and contribute to faster lap times.....:unsure:

I

Have to ask, if it's only you using the sim and the seat why do you need eight way adjustment? Perhaps your size varies between meals? I think the fixed Alpine seat arrangement would work well, be lighter and contribute to faster lap times.....:unsure:

Ah, I didn't ask for 8-way adjustment, but it's now become my little project to get it working (at very little cost). I will have various shapes and sizes having a go, including my grandson, if and when he visits again before he's taller than me (from Victoria), but everyone needs a bit of seat adjustment. I would have been happy to get just a sliding fore/aft to save me building in some form of adjustment, and height adjust would have been good, but I didn't expect a fancy electric! If I can do the whole thing for $300 it's good value.

BTW, 8-way is just sliding fore/aft, recline fore/aft, seat base up/down at front and rear (ie, height and tlit). Fairly normal these days.

I would have been happy with a fixed sport/racing shell, but couldn't locate anything.

Have you got that steering wheel and pedals yet? 🏎🏎🏎🏎🏎🏎🏎

Cheers.

Ah, I didn't ask for 8-way adjustment, but it's now become my little project to get it working (at very little cost). I will have various shapes and sizes having a go, including my grandson, if and when he visits again before he's taller than me (from Victoria), but everyone needs a bit of seat adjustment. I would have been happy to get just a sliding fore/aft to save me building in some form of adjustment, and height adjust would have been good, but I didn't expect a fancy electric! If I can do the whole thing for $300 it's good value.

BTW, 8-way is just sliding fore/aft, recline fore/aft, seat base up/down at front and rear (ie, height and tlit). Fairly normal these days.

I would have been happy with a fixed sport/racing shell, but couldn't locate anything.

Have you got that steering wheel and pedals yet? 🏎🏎🏎🏎🏎🏎🏎

Cheers.

I'm still saving up from my DVA $6.20 fortnightly pension.................

Chris
I have several seats as you know and resisting the temptation Do I need another hobby? and I guess the "real thing" is out of the question, might have to stick to the simulators. Hope your project turns out fine - at least you are building things and well occupied even if not compulsorily locked down like we are. Interesting project.
Good luck with it.

Ken

View attachment 123302
View attachment 123303View attachment 123304
View attachment 123305View attachment 123306View attachment 123307View attachment 123302View attachment 123303View attachment 123304View attachment 123305View attachment 123306View attachment 123307View attachment 123308View attachment 123309

That's cool. I'm excited to see the finished product.

After a couple of months of menial tasks around the home, I have been able to get on with this important project again. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Decided that the monitor stand was more urgent than the seat and it is now completed. What started as a simple frame to hold a monitor and a PC became a design challenge exercise in making it as foldable as possible for storage when required, as the stand is quite an awkward shape to store. With a few "on-the-run" mods, I ended up with it only requiring 2 wing screws to remove for folding up the frame, and they get stowed away in the folded mode. I feel pretty pleased with it actually, the folding challenge made it interesting.
You may well ask, what about the colour? Thought I might go for something a little more "Gamey" - and it meets the approval of my grandchildren!
I am about to buy a new 27" monitor, and I am "upheriting" (from a younger generation) a gaming PC from my son-in-law who is building a new one for himself. The monitor bracket was a Bunnings special about $20, and I have just realized after fitting it that I can swivel it 90 degrees to easily convert for normal PC use with the addition of a small desk for a keyboard beside the frame (as per one of the photos below).

If you want to see more of the DIY monitor stand blow-by-blow construction, follow the link to my album:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/p1Da1AEAAD1UQ8CC6

A few photos of the finished product. Note the seat needs a bit more work! :D

IMG_20200919_153232184_red.jpg
IMG_20200919_145209589_red.jpg
IMG_20200919_145315675_red.jpg
IMG_20200919_145440093_red.jpg
IMG_20200919_151833923_red.jpg
IMG_20200919_151916899_red.jpg

Wow!

Check out that dot Matrix printer!

It is hard to throw away something that has served you well in the past (some husbands are happy their wives are hoarders too) :rolleyes: