Good series 3 205 GTi - what are they worth now?

jr20516v

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Please dont say.."whatever the buyer will pay".....that doesnt answer the question.
There has not been many GOOD ones for sale of recent times so just interested in your comments.

According to UK magazine Thoroughbred Classic Cars Oct 2019 (page 18), 205 prices have taken a tumble.

£10000 tops.

One recently sold for 40k+£ the other day. There are not many like that. Under 6000miles from new.

There have been 2 ‘nice’ S3 205s sell quickly here. The Miami of Adam and the sorrento green that was on gumtree in WA for 15500. Both sold within 24hr I believe.

The whole car market is being shaken up. My understanding is that the really good stuff is holding or increasing and alot of the mediocre cars have taken a tumble. The market has been flooded with people trying to cash in and there were a lot of cars sold to people trying to then make a quick flip and there now stuck with them. Never before have there been some many ‘classics’ for sale. All apparently rare hahaha.

I guess the market has just got more diverse in terms of what ‘level or condition’ the car is in. 3 of the same Porsche 964 can be anywhere from 50k-200k depending on the condition, provenance etc and ..... what the buyer is willing to pay.

Its a similar thing with hospitality businesses. There are some guys out there paying too much for shitty cafes just to be involved (usually Lawyers and Bankers wanting a more ‘relaxed lifestyle’). Theres now soo many average cafes out there, the economy has slowed down everywhere and people are nervous to commit the dollars and so.

Thats my 2 cents anyway.

To answer the question. A good S3 Gti with near on 100k with no accident damage or respray, and an interior that has not been pulled apart and some solid service history should fetch over 20k if theres someone out there. My feeling is that there are guys out there waiting for these better cars but as you said John there are not many out there to choose from. The earlier S1/2 cars are really struggling to sell but there are a few out there buying them to be involved which is great.

Im helping a friend fix up an old S1 and it really is tired. It would cost someone thousands to get it even just mechanically sound. Luckily Im a dead set 205 lunatic with spares from here to the moon so it wont be that bad but they are old and when no looked after a real shit heap!

The later cars are so much nicer.

Good stuff Cam !! Appreciate. I thought Adams Miami sold for a lot more than $15.5k ?
I agree with you the series 1 and 2 keep popping up and seem to sell but the mystery is the series 3.

No one knows what Adams Miami sold for. The sorrento sold for 15500 according to gumtree.

Unless Im mistaken.

There you go. So 25k for a miami in great condition. I would say thats about the money then.

Ash's Sorrento Green changed hands at $27k last May. A mint car with documented history, no accidents, no respays, interior that looks brand new.

Just like the current clio 172s/ 182s, its hard to find a 205 that has not had its wheels driven off or left in the sun for 25 years.
In Australia there are just so few left. We see more imported Delta Integrales or original Honda NSXs come up for sale!
There are very few genuine classic cars that fall under the $25K price bracket. If you wanted a weekend car on a club plate, there is not much to choose from.

What do Shannons value them at?

You could always test the water by running one through the auctions with a huge (say 50k) reserve and see what the buyers will pay.

What do Shannons value them at?

You could always test the water by running one through the auctions with a huge (say 50k) reserve and see what the buyers will pay.

I have $22k with Shannon's at the moment in NSW... S3 with a S16 motor with Throttle Body etc.

Mine's insured for $40k with Shannons. Could have insured for more if I wanted.