Good replacement cat for Mi16

Poo-Go

1000+ Posts
Hello all,

I recently purchased a 405Mi16. I am very happy with it, however the cat on it is the original, and since the car has over 200,000ks, is bound to be stuffed. Can anyone recommend a good replacement one that will give me some (even small) gains in performance and/or sound?

I'm not really interested in running no cat and running the gamut of inquisitive cops/epa. A decent high flow one is fine, I just want to have a cat on there to avoid any potential hassles, and maybe give me a little bit more urge. This car is a daily driver, and I don't want to mess around with it too much.

A friend who also has a 405Mi16 says he used a cat from a Toyota Supra, and is happy with the result.

Cost is a factor. The Supra one runs at about $400 apparantly.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Cheers,

JG.

A new one from peugeot_ would most likely be expensive aswell but I would think would be the way to go. The original Cat's were high flow and were suited to the engine...

My 2_cents

just to add to that as well
pugs have aussie fitted systems from the 405's onwards anyway so why get a cat from a dealer who would source it from a local shop and place a huge mark up on it ?
just head down to the local muffler shop and grab a good sized cat and get them to fit it
guarantee it will be at least a quarter of the price of the one from the dealer

<small>[ 25 September 2003, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: pugrambo ]</small>

I've heard that V8 Commonwhore cats are good as well.

pugrambo:
just head down to the local muffler shop and grab a good sixed cat and get them to fit it
guarantee it will be at least a quarter of the price of the one from the dealer
What is a "sixed" cat?

Any high flow cat will do the job. Nice big V8 jobbie. Mine was $200.

Cal.

"broom handle" (TM) cat design has the best flow characteristics I heard.

Not that I would use one.... whistle

I dropped the back box on the 16V last night & have to get another fitted tommorrow but last time I was at the exhaust shop he wanted to fit a new cat but I suggested a piece of pipe the same size would be a better option...cheered him up no end :mad: eek! mallet got read the riot act etc, but in the process he showed me a "universal" cat that he reckoned was $200 fitted. I'll ask when I'm there for a bit more of a description. Hope he doesn't get too excited coz I won't be. cry
BTW, $75 for a back box or $145 for it in stainless would have to be OK dontcha reckon?

Alan S

i have to get a new centre muffler for the GTi-6
it has been dead now for a few years and was supposed to be done under warranty but kept getting told that the muffler was ok and it was just a bracket rattling
after the warranty period was over i was then told that the baffles in the muffler had come loose
like der
so i'll be getting a resonator put on sometime down the road by the local bloke as i don't see why i should have to now pay for a "genuine" pug item that is sourced from australia anyway with dealer mark up on it
it only rattles at around 3500rpm and get's bad rattles if i go through big water puddles on the road