Good Pug mechanics in Geelong/Ballarat

Is Salman Chaudry still working around Geelong? Ballarat was a real Peugeot town with lots of good Peugeot mechanics but that was long ago. There may still be some 504 mechanics around. Comments on the competence of the local dealer are not encouraging.

Odd to see Howard Mackey Motors back in Sims Road Montmorency. Fifty years ago Howard had a Renault / Peugeot dealership in Sims Rd. HM&J Auto Service. In those days Sims Road was only a dirt road serving a few houses with no passing traffic and Howard didn't do much business. Became service manager at East Ivanhoe Motors. I presume there's a family connection but Howard would be a fair age now.

Shocking that there are no good mechanics at these dealer/mechanic shops that nobody frequents [emoji848]

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

I hear (participating) Pug dealers are running a special this month to get all the 504s back into main dealer service.

'5 ohhh what? Hawaiian?' asked all those service managers?

no good mechanics at these dealer/mechanic shops
He's running an antique, older than most of the blokes at such woekshops.

The people I knew who were really good with 50s, 60s, 70s cars are all retired. I don't think dealer shops were excluded from the search, but it will probably end up with an old bloke who is still on the tools.

I know my 50s and we haven’t had one come in in 10 years

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

Salman Chaudry was at the Geelong dealership for a while and then was doing repairs on his own. He has come up to the country to do major Peugeot and Land Rover repair jobs and was good at models like the 604. Old fashioned training and a meticulous approach learned maintaining the cars of the diplomatic community in Karachi. Including a successful restoration of the British High Commission Rolls Royce on the eve of a Royal Tour. You would not find a more capable and competent mechanic for a 504 but I don't have a current contact number and don't know if he is still around. If you are in Ballarat I suggest you contact Glenn Vagg at the Peugeot History Shed in Mount Rowan. He will know who is still around.
The Howard Mackey Motors site gives nothing away but it isn't the old HM&J building. It was smaller and became an engineering workshop. The last time I saw Howard at East Ivanhoe Motors would have been mid 1970's and I can't say I followed what became of him or indeed East Ivanhoe Motors.

Last edited: