Go karting 101

ruckus

Fellow Frogger
G'day guys. I'm just after a bit of info from the kart heads on the forum. Someone in my family, who has a racing team as part of their business (f3000 i think) told me they'd be willing to sponsor me if I was interested in doing some amateur karting.

Needless to say I'm pretty chuffed about it!~ :D

So I need to know what the startup costs are, what licencing I need to get and all of the equipment etc (and approximate costs if possible).

Thanks for any help that can be offered.

ruckus said:
So I need to know what the startup costs are, what licencing I need to get and all of the equipment etc (and approximate costs if possible).

Why? You're not paying for it, what do you care? :D

Assuming you buy everything new:

Kart: $4000-$5000
Engine (KT100S): $1500
Tyres: $200
Kart Trolley: $150
Trailer: $1500
Race Suit: $400
Boots: $150
Gloves: $40
Helmet: $300
Tools: $500
Club Membership and licence: $300\year
Entry: $50\race meeting

That is a rough guide. Buying 2nd hand is a different story.

The engine will need a top end rebuild every 5hrs and a bottom end rebuilt every 10hrs. You will need a set of tyres every 3 race meetings. Some people have fresh ones every meeting. There is a lot more to it, but ther's a start.

Cheers,

Cal.

..... :cry: :cry: :cry: :eek: :mad: :cry: . LUCKY YOU!! go for it!

Firstly in melbourne find a track called Todd Road, and go up and actually speak to the guys at the front of a class called senior national ligth or heavy depends how much you weigh. (its best to start in J's, that the engine is a Yamaha kt-100J), if you can win or be competetive in J's you can win in everything.
You will need about $8000 for all new gear. Also get some good books just on karting (revolution race gear sell several) as Kart racing is different from cars, ( ie rear brakes, no suspention, no diff, more bumps, trail braking etc).
The list CAL liste above is pretty concise, and if you can buy an Arrow brand kart, as they are made in Victoria, so parts and set-up data is a phone call away. ENJOY!!!!!!!-Chris

PS.... im soooo jelous. Karts is ALL i really do anymore, so you can imagine how pisst i feel... but GOOD LUCK TOO YOU MATE.. well done.... :D :cry:

I've been racing Snr National Light in Sydney for the past couple of years. It's a great class as you don't need big dollars to be competitive. Winning will still cost you plenty though as there are always a couple of guys who seem to be so much quicker than anyone else - and they aren't that much better drivers than the rest of us!
I haven't touched my engine in two seasons and a set of tyres will last a season. They actually get better with a few dozen laps underneath them! Clubman is much more expensive to run - new tyres each meeting if you want to be up the front and regular freshen ups of the motor. My kart is actually for sale if you are interested. I don't have time to justify hanging onto it anymore.

moosey said:
I've been racing Snr National Light in Sydney for the past couple of years. It's a great class as you don't need big dollars to be competitive. Winning will still cost you plenty though as there are always a couple of guys who seem to be so much quicker than anyone else - and they aren't that much better drivers than the rest of us!
I haven't touched my engine in two seasons and a set of tyres will last a season. They actually get better with a few dozen laps underneath them! Clubman is much more expensive to run - new tyres each meeting if you want to be up the front and regular freshen ups of the motor. My kart is actually for sale if you are interested. I don't have time to justify hanging onto it anymore.
Were do you race Moosey? OP, EA, Lithgow? What club are you a member of? - Chris

Not really in line with the topic but i was out at eastern creek this morning and can't wait to get my proper license to race.

It just looks like like so much more fun when there is 15 other karts out there on a decent track.

15 karts barrelling into the first corner six inches from each other (sometimes less!) is an absolute blast! No road or track day driving comes close! However, spending the best part of 12 hours at the circuit, waiting for heats, etc for 30 minutes on track just got too much for me in the end - and all the politics. $20K a year for a $15 plastic trophy... There are some great people, very helpful, but there are plenty of heroes too unfortunately. I just don't have time for it anymore. Hence the forced sale...
I was racing at Eastern Creek - fantastic track and the best run club in the Sydney region in terms of facilities and track safety. I've seen some really unsafe stuff at some other events around Sydney. It's a (relatively) dangerous sport and it doesn't need to be made unnecessarly more so by stupid driving, lack of emergency support, or officials who won't stamp out wrecklessness.
The Top Kart guys at EC are brilliant (especially old Max King). If you break something he's always there to lend a hand with spares and know how to get you going for the next heat.