GiSelle, the continuing story......

Well all is back together. The whirly bits whirl again, and she drives nicely, inasmuch as I've been able to cover only a few km as yet. (Lockdowns have put a severe crimp in my motoring pleasures, but it beats the alternative!)

As I slightly suspected, the dreaded "first start after sitting blue plume of smoke" still happens, but at least I now know it's not valve guides or stem seals that are floppy.

I guess, for now, I just have to live with it and manage it somehow.

I'm running Penrite HPR30, bit I don't see any real gains to be had by going to HPR40. If it's oil settling in the cylinders it's gong to do that no matter how goopy the lubricant is, realistically. As an experiment, I may try a small bottle of oil treatment, such as Morey's, and see if the extra stickiness has any effect.

The upside of doing all this work is that not only is the engine apparently oil tight now, but I was able to address the weeping and manky old short hoses in the return lines down near the brake controller so, at this stage at least, we don't have any LHM dribbles either. Chicken Dinner!

Cheers, for now, Pottsy.

Gerry.

The first oil change I did saw me add Nulon E20, and now, having replaced that oil I'll contemplate the E30 treatment. There's already a bottle of E30 on the shelf with her name on it. However, I've held off using it until I saw whether I needed to replace pistons/rings/barrels.

In any case, while I'm a huge fan of the Nulon products, I'm not sure that it'll have any effect on the blue smoke issue.

Time will tell I suppose.

Cheers, Pottsy