Getting the old Rally 504 back on the road as a tourer, omg what brakes are these

gazob

Tadpole
I have come to the decision to get my "Rally" 504 back on the road as a more comfortable cruiser.

It isn't going to change a lot, but the first step in getting it back on the road is getting it through a roadworthy.

The first is something I can do myself, I need new BrakePads, and the discs and brakes are not 504 standard. Can anyone Identify these
https://photos.app.goo.gl/pcCDPLJbtAAdS4k28
Ill probably need to knock the rust of the discs as well.

As far as I understand it, and have been told by a couple of mechanics, I cannot roadworthy it with a full Roll Cage. Unless I can find a loophole in rules and reg's I will need to cut it back to a half cage.

The Bonnet has no supporting frame under it, not sure why this was done, I don't think its a clearance issue (may end up worng on this), but the mechanic I would like to do the final roadworthy on it is not happy to do a roadworthy the way it is.

The inside will get a tidy up, make it a bit less "Rally" focused, and more comfortable. It will probably get some soundproofing reinstalled, a new (or at least newish) carpet set, and some modcons added.

The main loom needs a lot of work, but my brother in law is quite good with this sort of stuff.

here is a pic for those who need pictures them, this was the last time it was out of the garage
IMG_20171125_183949.jpg

Gaz

Brakes are probably 604, Brian Canny would know what he put on it.

Mystery Solved, Brian in his infinite wisdom documented everything in an excercise book, Brians writing takes a bit of time to decypher.

Pads are Ferodo FCP9H either DS3000 or DS2500, Brian lists these as Volvo Pads.
Time to check whether the collar matches the cuffs, oops sorry the rear matches the front, not a whole lot better.

GaZ

Those look like Volvo 240 brake calipers. The early ones had two brake lines going to it because Volvo used two circuits, but each circuit used pistons on both front wheels and one rear caliper. Can you advise how yours are set up? If there is only one brake line then they are ABS calipers off 88+ 240 Volvo’s.

And is that disk brake unusually thick and non-vented?

Thanks,

Rabin

Ill pop the front wheel off again, I now have some better lights for photography, any specific areas of interest.

The rears may be standard 504, the pads had plenty of meat, so wasnt stressing about them.

bad photo of the disk

GaZ

got some pads....

here is the setup for the calipers
https://photos.app.goo.gl/SXC2t2C4quEYJp5h9

2 lines into caliper from 1 line split in the guard going up to the bias adjuster 2 lines from the bias adapter back to the master cylinder.

Almost fully destickered, Roll Cage is out, starting to work on some rust bubbles.

The Red Stripes don't want to come off at all, they have been on for many years and are effectively welded to the paint through years in the sun. Will create as flat a surface as possible and spray them with red plasti dip. I think this will hide the sins of the places they have cracked and peeled, putting new stickers over them highlights these areas.

Garry

Be great to see some pictures of the car.

- - - Updated - - -

Be great to see some more pictures of the car.

It will look quite more like a standard 504 when finished, the warpaint will be gone, and just the stripes remain.

Here is from Nov 2017 when it was last pulled out to wash the dust from it
https://photos.app.goo.gl/JmyCUFhkVXQueT76A

Waiting on the brake pads so I can drive it out of the garage for a clean, prior to some paint, at this point it is quite dusty.

Anyone with a white bonnet in good condition in the north or west of Melbourne would be interested, as well, as some interior bits, including dash top, front door pulls, rubbers (although may just get a full rubber kit from scotts old auto rubber after confirming I will get the right bits), possibly carpet, etc. will eventually just phone a few of the pug wreckers, but want confirmation from my mechanic that the new bonnet is required (not just nice to have) for roadworthy.

GaZ

Last edited: