Gearbox Oil

REN TIN TIN

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I'm currently running my R12 manual using a EP80/90 gearbox oil. I have been told that I should be using an EP80 oil only and there is a big difference between the EP80 and the EP80/90.

Is this true question

EP80 is a bit hard to find and I don't really want to bust my arse looking for the stuff (and pay more) if it isn't really necessary.

What oil do you guys use??

cheers!

EP 80 is the type now specified for use in R12's in the current Castrol guide. However when the vehicles were new the specified type was 80/90. I've used the Castrol 80/90 for many years, and at 265,000 the trans is quite silent, and the synchro's function fine.

EP 80 specified to stop cold shift baulking in later 5 speed Renault gearboxes, but I think given the higher ambient temperatures of Australia the heavier 80/90 grade gives extra peace of mind in my 12. However from other peoples use, EP80 seems to be a mandatory requirement in the 5 speeds for a smooth shift.

Simon

I wouldn't have thought a slightly thicker oil would make that much difference, especially as I'm in QLD and not the frigid south.
The Renault workshop manual specifies type REP80 oil for the Type352 and EP80 for the type 360 gearbox. I think all the R12s in Aus are type 352 but don't quote me.
The 'EP' stands for extreme pressure but what the the 'R' mean?
:confused:

cheers!

I use Castrol EPX 80W/90 which actually states that it's for Renault transaxles. I add a tube of Nulon gearbox additive with PTFE which makes a big difference to change quality.

Stuey approve

Yea in the Castrol recomendations guide I think they Recomed Castrol EPX 80/90 for our 70's model Renos. I'm using Castrol Syntrax at the moment its a 70/75 fully synthetic oil. It works just fine.

Thanks guys. :D
I think I'll continue using the Castrol EPX80/90.
I didn't think of using an additive :eek: and will try the Nulon.

cheers!

Was looking for some 4 stroke mower oil in our local Big W yesterday and, lo an behold, they sell EP80 gearbox oil.
:D
Don't normally shop for car stuff in chain stores but all the local parts & accessories stockists didn't have EP80 but Big W does. Strange.
:confused:
Ren
cheers!