gearbox oil for R12

renweave

Fellow Frogger
My mechanic has just had to retire due to a back injury and I now will have to service my R12 myself. Haven't done this since I was a student and had my mechanic dad to supervise. What type of oil should I put in the gearbox?

Any decent branded 80W/90 hypoid oil suitable for transaxles will suit the Renault 12 trans. I've used Castrol EPX 80W/90 for many years with no ill effects and still a fairly silent trans after 260,000k's with fully functioning synchro's.

If the climate is cold either Castrol Syntrax 75W/90 or Castrol EPX 75W/80 could be used to prevent cold shift baulking. All of these oils are recommended for use by Renault.

Simon

A better quality oil is available from Cadillac Oils at Plainlands in Qld... it's a bit far, but if you order a 20-litre of engine oil and a 5-litre of the gearbox oil you'll have a good supply for a long time and overcome the freight hurdle to some degree.

The 20-litre container is a lot more economical than a 5-litre would be for engine oil...

Or ring me on 0411 280 267 and I will pick it up for you and meet you at Yass some time.

Should there be a declaration of interest in the previous message as being a Cadillac Oils distributor? :)

Actually it sort of prompts another question, please define "better quality oil". I would guess that any oil that conforms to the latest standards would be appropriate. Can the "better quality oil" claim be quantified please.

Simon

No, I'm not a distributor, but a more than just happy user.

As for the specification, these are laid out with maximum and minimum standards. Cadillac are to the maximum, and also over the standard where overdose packages are permitted by the standard.

There is also the issue of the better quality base oils. Call Cadillac and ask for more details if you wish.

If you want to know more, just ask...

Thanks for that information Simon,

I'm using BP Energear Easishift (WHAT a name!!) in the R8 (with a 10S gearbox. I found it on BP's web site as a recommended oil for boxes with cold-baulking issues.

Seems marginally better when cold than the previous selections (hypoid 80-90 type variants). It's worth buying just for the fun of no BP people knowing it exists!! The BP stations in Perth don't have a list of BP products.......

JohnW