Gear selector cables for a mANUAL 2001 D9 406 sedan

Peter C

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Unfortunately, I need to replace the two gear selector cables on my 406. Any tips on the best and cheapest place to buy? Has anyone had any dealings with the "carscenter" in the UK who seem to be the cheapest?

My wife's 406 D9 had this same problem which,I believe, is rather rare. Colin Stark at Alpine Affaire did the job. It was not plain sailing.
Apparently there are part variations involved. Ask Colin.

Can't imagine it would happen in a series 1 406 as they have rods - not cables and the majority of 406s seem to be autos!

I looked up the part numbers in Servicebox which should be accurate.

Which gearbox? winia-parts on Fleabay have a 2444R3 which is correct if you have an ML5T box.

Andrew - the vendor - is not flexible on price very much but packs well and posts promptly.

According to Service Box the gearbox is a BE4 V which agrees with the "BE4" cast towards the end of the gearbox, although it doesn't say "V". The part numbers are supposed to be 2444 Q8 and 2444 Q9.

Oh for days of a 504 when it was really straight forward.

Just following up on this problem. I ended up buying the replacement cables via an Australian outlet for a much higher price than I could've via Ebay etc. Apparently, there isn't much mark up so Peugeot must be doing really well out of parts these days.

You definately need to check the part numbers in Servicebox as there are a number of variations. A manual 406 I saw at Pickapart had longer cables due to it having a different manual gearbox. Although I needed to replace only one cable, in view of the trouble involved I decided to replace both.

In reality, it isn't difficult changing the cables but you do need some good ramps to raise the car up. To gain access to the underside of the gear lever assembly you need to remove the exhaust system and the heat shield. Once done, it's a simple matter of unscrewing the plastic lid of the gear lever assembly and following your nose. It's not necessary to remove the centre console and gear lever assembly. Other than the retaining clips at the gearbox end of the cables being a bit frozen in place all went smoothly. Having done it once, I reckon I could easily do it in an hour and on a good day a lot less.

Failure of the cables is said to be uncommon but, then again, most manual 406s seem to be the earlier ones with rods with the majority appearing to be autos. The 406 I saw at Pickapart was a manual but with a different gearbox and had a counterweight on the lever at the gearbox end of the cable and, to me, had a better feel when changing gears - obviously while stationery.

In my case, the cable failed due to the outer steel sheeth and its plastic outer sheeth becoming loose in the crimped cable end. If this happens, you'll get all the "forward" gears (1st, 3rd and 5th) fine, but not the "rearwards" ones (2nd, 4th and reverse).

Hi fellow froggers.I am trying to track down a supplier of part number 2444TO which is the gearshift cable needed for a 2001 V6 coupe. Ordered this part from carcentreX in England but the guy supplied 2444R4 which fits the model before.
Having no joy getting this guy to send me the right part and would appreciate any advice so I can get back to enjoying my coupe.

I feel your pain as these cables are not cheap. Although some may not agree with my choice, I ended up buying the two cables from a local Peugeot outlet. Was more expensive but I was certain to get the right part (there are a number of different 406 cables), it was a genuine part as I didn't want to risk having have to change again prematurely down the track.