Gear Linkages with 18GTS box in Virage

Virage Racer

Fellow Frogger
The gearlever and linkages in my Virage have been seriously modified to accommodate the 5 speed conversion, but don't work too well - especially reverse. Is there anything to be gained by lifting the lever and linkages from an 18GTS and modifying them to fit in the Virage floor ... or am I looking at a different set of problems?

If you have an 18 - 5 speed fitted you should be using the 18 gearshift as it has a different(additional link) at the g'box end - I needed a slightly larger hole in the floor om my 17 and had to shorten the main connecting link

BTW when you cut the main connecting link to shorten scribe a line (that is longer than the bit you are cutting out) along the centre of the rod - this will ensure that you are maintaing the angular relationship b/m both ends

Just a little tip, as most of the gear link connecting rods are hollow before you re-weld them, place a piece of solid bar of appropriate size inside the tube this will add heaps of strength to the welded joint.
dance dance dance dance

Yes, have noticed that an additional lower section has been welded onto my 12 shiftlever ... and assume that the additional link is a short cross-shaft which locates on the end of the extension housing ...

<small>[ 14 November 2002, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: Virage Racer ]</small>

You are correct with the description of the additional link - there is also an initial set up required that ensures you pick up the 1/2 + 3/4 + 5 and reverse gates -- if this is incorrect then you may not be rotating succiciently to engage reverse gate correctly

The only way that you will ever get a really good feel from the linkage is to(as crude as this sounds)cut a hole in the floor. Then get a g'box hump fabricated out of tubular steel. The easiest way to do this would be to angle the tublar steel from just above the original hump (a very small hump on R12s) and continue it to the floor (on the top plateau where the seat runners fit). This is quite simple to fabricate and allows 2 things, 1st, it allows you to raise the gearbox to a level plane without floor clearance problems, and 2, it allows you to use the standard R18 shifter (as it now sits 2 inches higher, it is in its normal R18 height/position). The only thing that then needs to be modified is the length of the rod that goes from the bottom of the shifter to the gearbox If you then cut of the end nylon bushed joint (usually very sloppy anyway) you can tap a thread into the hollow rod and replace the original joint with a male,threaded rose joint. The thread will allow for very fine adjustment of the forward backward plane of the shifter. The other thing that you might want to do (if you wish to run standard 12/17 driveshafts) is to get the output shafts and differential bearing adjusters (seal holders) removed, and get normal R12 gearbox out put shafts installed (straight swap over part). This returns the width of the output shafts to original R12 width and allows you to run normal R12/17 drive shafts safetly(please bear in mind that this will require the box to be dismantled) happy motoring

The auto hump is a fair bit bigger/longer than the manual, but you still need to get the shifter (R18) up to the same height as it sits in the 18. Unless you want the linkages running inside the car and then exiting through the existing hump (as I have seen a few times before) you will still need to fabricate a hump, extension. If you bolt the shifter assembly to the floor at the standard R12 height then alot of your lateral (east-west) gear knob movement wont actually corrospond with the movement achieved at the gearbox end, as the pivot (the slot adjustable rod that links to the upper left hand rear of the box) will be on the wrong angle. If you lengthen the bottom of the shifter to get more throw, you just end up making the problem worse and worse. You may get the gears, but it will feel like ......well you get the picture. Any way, happy R12 motoring.