Gear crunches when putting into reverse?

rc968

Fellow Frogger
With my Clio sometimes the gear would crunch when putting into reverse, like in 3-point turns, the car may have just stopped going forward but is definetly stationary at the time of shifting. I tend to wait a second or so then it would go in smoothly.

Is this considered normal for a manual gearbox?
(perhaps not good but never the less a nature of the box by design?)

Or should I be concerned?

Thanks for yout help.

Not sure about Clio specifically, but in R17/Fuego etc. I find momentarily sliding into second before engaging reverse seems to help in these instances.

Either that or clutch may be not set correctly...

rc968 said:
With my Clio sometimes the gear would crunch when putting into reverse, like in 3-point turns, the car may have just stopped going forward but is definetly stationary at the time of shifting. I tend to wait a second or so then it would go in smoothly.

Is this considered normal for a manual gearbox?
(perhaps not good but never the less a nature of the box by design?)

Or should I be concerned?

Thanks for yout help.

Remember, there is no syncro on reverse gear.

You have to wait for the gear train to stop rotating (usually a second or 2 is all thats required) before you drop it into reverse...otherwise..grrrraunch

By putting it into 2nd (or 1st) you equalize the speed and it will fall into gear (unless something is chronically wrong).....Think truck dog box...

mistareno said:
Remember, there is no syncro on reverse gear.

You have to wait for the gear train to stop rotating (usually a second or 2 is all thats required) before you drop it into reverse...otherwise..grrrraunch

By putting it into 2nd (or 1st) you equalize the speed and it will fall into gear (unless something is chronically wrong).....Think truck dog box...

rc968 I have exactly the same prob with my 306, mistereno has explanined the exact prob that was explained to me by a mechanic friend.

Does anyone else have probs of the reverse gear not slotting in?

Yep me here too. It happened on my last car as well, now it's just muscle memory to slide it momentarily into 3rd (to make the gears happy -- sorry for the technical lingo) and then into reverse.

purrr-geot said:
rc968 I have exactly the same prob with my 306,

Let's be clear. It isn't a problem with the car. That's exactly what most cars are supposed to do except for some of the relatively recent cars which have synchro on reverse (like Ford Mondeo, Focus and a few others). Like others have said you're supposed to wait for the gearbox innards to stop spinning or select another gear to halt them, before selecting reverse.

The problem is a driver error problem, not a fault of the car. Aren't they supposed to teach this stuff in driving school?

Dave

Last edited:
from day one i have always either popped another gear or just foot on clutch and count to 2
or if i have to go backwards after i start a car i start it with my foot on the clutch and then select reverse and go from there
too easy really
and as dave said it's not a fault with the car
it really is just common know how
i was taught from day one to do this

I had the same problem with my 205.....that is because my clutch cable is slight stretched and the clutch is on its way out.

Adjusted the clutch cable...problem gone....unless the clutch is hot.

However, I do put in 2nd or 5th gear before getting into reverse. It is easier to get 2nd gear on the 205 then 5th because the R is next to 1st gear.

Cheers
Billy

Yeah, had that same problem with my previous car, which was a Holden Astra. But I think it can happen to any, the clutch has to be fully down, and if you feel resistance going into the reverse gear, don't force it. Release and dpress the clutch again, should be fine. I only had my Clio for a week, hasn't noticed it yet, and I hope I don't.

Phew...feels better now, no problem with the gearbox. I'll start the habit of sliding into 2nd or 3rd before putting into reverse.

Thanks guys for the info..

rc968 said:
Phew...feels better now, no problem with the gearbox. I'll start the habit of sliding into 2nd or 3rd before putting into reverse.

Thanks guys for the info..

or just go neutral, then reverse should do the trick. :)

storms_of_fate said:
Yeah, had that same problem with my previous car, which was a Holden Astra. But I think it can happen to any, the clutch has to be fully down, and if you feel resistance going into the reverse gear, don't force it. Release and dpress the clutch again, should be fine. I only had my Clio for a week, hasn't noticed it yet, and I hope I don't.

Yeah, I do that too, depress the clutch a couple times. I'll give the other gear a go next time.