Gauge replacement...Renault Virage

HONG KONG PUGGY

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
This may sound dumb :mallet: .......
How does one remove and replace the complete instrument cluster in a Renault Virage........when I wrecked the green sedan at xmas time, I couldn't manouvre the cluster to get it out easily, so since the car was being scraped, I just prized the dash-board apart and took itout. .. Not the best way to install a new one though.......help :cry:
Chris

I've only done it once with the later 1.4 type dash, but the cluster seems to be clipped in either side with nice sharp clips. Only thing is that it seems clipped from behind, so to take the cluster out, you need to pull the whole dash. An awkward but not as difficult as it sounds task.

It is a pain in the butt, however I assure you you can manouvre the instrument cluster out from behind the dash.

I had mine out and back in again, and I certaintly didn't have to remove the dashboard.

I think (don't quote me as it was about 7years ago) it comes out from the side (under tha dash). My dad however seems to remember me pulling it out from the front??. I think he may be confusing it with my R18, which came out from the front....

But either way it WILL come out undamaged.....

Good luck

mistareno said:
It is a pain in the butt, however I assure you you can manouvre the instrument cluster out from behind the dash.

I had mine out and back in again, and I certaintly didn't have to remove the dashboard.

I think (don't quote me as it was about 7years ago) it comes out from the side (under tha dash). My dad however seems to remember me pulling it out from the front??. I think he may be confusing it with my R18, which came out from the front....

But either way it WILL come out undamaged.....

Good luck
Thanks mistareno
I was trying for removal under the dash and it looked soooo close a couple of times. Will have to get enthusiastic again.. :roflmao: as I am changing only because the dash I have, has better needles on it (they may be replacement ones) and the current ones are faded, cracked and bent.
Anyone know if I could buy the little cog on the inside of the trip metre reset as they all seem to break (well both these dashes are anyway)
Thanks again,
Orange17

Having dove several dash & instrument swaps on R12/Virages recently I've always found it far easier if you unbolt the dash and move it forward to give you room to maneuver the gauges and releasing the dash is not that difficult.
<FONT color=black>Firstly, remove the plastic cowl over the steering column so it doesn’t get damaged and unscrew the top of the glove box from the bottom of the dash. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com /><o:p></o:p></FONT></P><P style=
Remove the vent at the base of the windscreen, there are around 6 M6 bolts holding the top of the dash in place.<o:p></o:p>

Apart from that, there is a bracket at each end of the dash that is held on by three bolts each side. Two of these bolts are slotted so just slide over the loosened bolts, the third has to be removed. It will be obvious which are slotted.<o:p></o:p>

If you want to remove the dash entirely you will have to disconnect the heater controls from the dash and unplug the wiring and unplug the speedo cable. If removing the dash it’s best if there are two people to maneuver the dash out of the car. It can be done by one person but it’s a bit awkward.<o:p></o:p>

All going well, it’s only 10 minute job to undo the dash and it sure beats lying upside-down in an unnatural position and risking damage to the car and yourself.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Ren<o:p></o:p>

:cheers:

Last edited: