Gasket Set for Renault Virage

Clive Atkinson

Fellow Frogger
I'm not having any luck finding an engine gasket set for my 1397cc Virage in Australia -- you know, head gasket, sump, timing cover, water pump etc. Must I source them overseas? Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers, Clive

I've got some half moons you can have. Suggest you use some blue goo for the sump. You can form a timing cover gasket without drama. That just leaves the head and the manifold gaskets. The manifold gasket is pretty straight forward. I just made up an exhaust flange gasket wot works a treat.

If you can't find one locally have a look on Ebay.
Look for R12 though, not Virage.
I think the Virage name was only used in Australia.
There's also the R12 shop in the Netherlands.

I've got manifold and rocker cover as well. I think I have everything except head and sump. Ken Bailey might have something, I think my brother got a sump gasket off him recently.

Thanks for the advice, but what are half moons? I'm not averse to forming my own gaskets, but for the sump, I'm wary of re-using the neoprene front/rear seals as they become flattened in use and I hate oil leaks. Looks like o/s for the head gasket though. Oh well...

Clive

As the Virage is 1.4 & as that was not offered in Europe, wouldn't it be better to seek R9, R11, R18, RI5, R17, R5 . . . . bits than R12 bits?

Here, it's basically Ken or Dave & Dave has responded on A.F..

cheers! Peter

As the Virage is 1.4 & as that was not offered in Europe, wouldn't it be better to seek R9, R11, R18, RI5, R17, R5 . . . . bits than R12 bits?

Here, it's basically Ken or Dave & Dave has responded on A.F..

cheers! Peter

Peter, it looked to me as if the Euro 1.4l head gaskets are not the same as our 1.4 ones -- at least going by some of the pics. I've gone with the US 1397 head and sump gaskets, as they appear to be identical to the Virage, even though the Alliance has different water pump and timing cover gaskets. Thanks for your help.

Cheers, Clive

Geoff can be a bit crotchety, but he's good to his word with sending stuff.

The bits I bought on the afternoon of the 9th arrived at 8 am today the 15th. Say 4days and a bit.

Have some rear main seals if you need them new old stock, and some gaskets manifold, must have come in packs of 6 to dealers. Ex dealership stuff