Gas struts for hatch

Stuey

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Hi guys,

Where do you buy replacement struts? The 206's are a bit weak.

I'm just wondering if there are ones to avoid, favourite suppliers, or I should stick to OE.

I see them on eBay from the UK for less than $40 with a 10 year warranty...

Cheers

Stu

Last edited:
I bought similar length, not quite the same, from Repco a couple of years back, for the Scenic, and they work well.

https://www.repco.com.au/en/parts-s...partSlot:STRUT+BOOT%2FHATCH%2FTAILGATE&text=#

I can't set for Peugeot 206, maybe with your rego it will work. It works for the Renault and shows correct strut, which saves trolling through the catalog.

Though I seem to remember I got the Repco branded ones for about $30 each?

Cheers.

Stuey,
Depending on the condition of the strut rods and seals within, you may consider re-gassing them. There should be someone locally that re gasses "gas struts" It is not rocket science.
I have a friend with a relatively new Mercedes that had failed (and embarrassing) boot struts that I suggested that he considers re-gassing them by "Gas Strut Engineering" (here in Melbourne) but no, not for his Mercedes; as it was due for a "Mercedes Dealer" service soon, he would have it attended to by "Mercedes". I got a call from him soon after - "who was that gas strut re-gassing" service you mentioned?
That was was some 3 years back; still going strong. He would not say what Mercedes wanted to replace his relatively new gas struts but he got away with just around $40 I'd reckon.

Talking to one of the two remaining regassers in Sydney recently who said most of the current replacements have a very short life due to poor quality in the current throw away world. If your old ones can be regassed it is a better option than the replacements.

OK cheers for that.

As an aside, after thinking about it I checked out Youtube vids about regassing to see how it's done because they obviously aren't able to be dismantled and there are no valves or holes for pressurising them. They essentially place the unit into a device that pressurises the piston rod end beyond what the seals can resist and force the nitrogen into the unit. Worth a look if you're curious.

Not Peugeot but I recently got a pair of struts for my Koleos off Aliexpress.
They were unbranded but fit perfectly and work fine.
At around $31 delivered they were cheaper than getting the originals regassed and way less than getting a pair of original struts.

Had a quick look for 206 struts and there are listings on Ali for struts ranging from $25/pr.

Probably can find them on Ebay too but I've got the shits with ebay at present so am using Ali for now.

Cheers
RTT

Cheers, yeah, see my first post. I've seen them on eBay with a 10 year guarantee for only $40 delivered for a pair from the UK. But then see Bustamif's post about the cheapies possibly being shite. I'll get a price for regassing as there are a few in Perth doing it. Let's hope they price by size and force marked on the unit in Newtons and not by brand of car.

I don't have any illusions about the cheepie struts being as good as the originals.
For now, they fit and they hold the tailgate up which is all I expect them to do.
They might last or might not but if they last half as long as the originals then that will probably be long enough and easily worth the $30 paid.

We used to sell gas struts here at work and used to have a gassing machine.
Sadly, the company has exited that business a few years ago so I have to go elsewhere to get regassing done.
If memory serves, I think it was about $50 - $60 to get a pair of struts regassed but I could be wrong, it's been a while since I asked.
There are mobile re-gassers that come to your work or home and do them on the spot.
My concern with regassing is that there could be some wear in the internals of the strut.
Even with a full charge of gas they might not be a strong as a new set.

Cheers
RTT

The regas price has remained around the same for over 20 years with only a slight increase, still more cost effective than replacements. Our fleet includes various trailers with front and rear gas lift doors, road cars and race cars with gas lift engine lids, bonnets, rear hatch, tailgates etc. The pressure in the strut can be increased or decreased depending on the weight of the item being raised and the quality of the strut. The guy who does our struts has been doing it for over 25 years and knows his stuff. After 20 years of service the trailer struts were regassed before Phillip Island 2 years ago when we upped the pressure. They were German struts, the seals are fine and holding the higher pressure with no problem.

The best strut quality seems to be the German ones used on Porsche, Merc, some Holdens, and some commercial vehicles. Usually we get min 6 years before any strut sagging is noticed. The current replacements last about 2 years max and cant be reliably regassed.

Make sure the strut is mounted right way up (fat end on the bottom, skinny shaft to the top) so the seal does not dry out and let the gas slowly escape.

The reason we use a lower pressure on some struts is to avoid the strut pushing too hard and distorting a lightweight composite or fibreglass panel.

These days everyone offers guarantees on crap products. As I have told the guy at Repco on many occasions, I am not interested in a replacement when the part fails after 18 months, I want a part that lasts a reasonable time. I am in the minority on that view which is why we get so many cheap crappy goods that cant be serviced or repaired these days.