Fuel gauge needle flickering

Trent172

Fellow Frogger
Tadpole
Tadpole
On my 1970 Peugeot 504. Why is it doing this while engine is running. It’s flicking left and right quite quickly.

Never had that problem on a 504. Lift off the plastic stopper on the boot floor and check for good electrical connections.

It could also be the sender, the gauge or some other electrical connection issue. Not much help I'm afraid.

I reckon you have nailed it Peter, it is a bad connection some where.

I good way to prove it would be just turn on the ignition without starting the car, do this without being in the car as you will cause vibrations. Now stick your head in the car and see if the needle is flickering. If it is not start the car and see what the needle is doing. If the needle is flickering it is cause by engine vibrations.

A good place to start is to have the engine off and the ignition on and lightly tap the dash and see if the needle flickers with the taps. If nothing there you can assume all is good at the gauge end. Now tap at the fuel tank and see if the needle flickers, if it does you can assume the problem is at the sender.

Hope this helps.

Add some fuel and see if it stops.
I may have one little crook spot on the sender's coil winding.

The sender's coil winding surface has corroded up. Take the car for a good drive with the tank about 1/3 full and see what it does when you return.