FUEL ECONOMY

REN TIN TIN

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I've just done a calculation on how economical my R12 1.4 manual has been since July and am very disappointed with the figure. Since mid-July to today I have averaged just over 28 MPG. Although a lot of my travelling in the 12 is short trips (I live 5km from work), I would have expected closer to 32-35 MPG. The best I got was a fraction over 30MPG which, looking at the date, would have been on the Brisbane to Bribie run.
What sort of economy are you guys getting out of your 12's.

Ren
cheers!

So that works out to be about 10L per 100km? That sounds like what I get out of my 1.4 r12. I do push it pretty hard though to keep up with traffic. It'll do a little better on the highway ... but at 110, it's reving pretty high (4000 mark) ... it needs a 5th gear. If you're nice on the accelerator, and give it premium, it works out a lot better.

Azure

Snap!

Around town I get around 28mpg.

On long trips it has got up to 38mpg but the norm is around 36mpg. I generally don't drive for economy. This car is a 1975, 1289cc, 810-05 motor.

Simon

Just as a comparison my 6 week old xsara VTR 1.6 has been getting approx 7 litres per hundred K around Canberra on optimax.

cheers!

Dan.

FatDan:
Just as a comparison my 6 week old xsara VTR 1.6 has been getting approx 7 litres per hundred K around Canberra on optimax.

cheers!

Dan.
OK OK, there always has to be some smarty that shows modern technology is better :)

At least I don't have to pay for Optimax or its Adelaide PULP equivalent(yet!).

BTW Optimax is not available in Adelaide.

I dug out some old Wheels and Modern Motor magazines to see what the 12’s were like on fuel economy when new. This is what they were getting (from a new tight motor)

Modern Motor, 1975 R12GL 1289cc
Average consumption: 9.3 l/100km 30 MPG
Country Conditions 7.4 – 6.7 l/100km 38 – 42 MPG

Modern Motor, 1978 Virage 1397cc
Average Consumption 9.1 l/100km

Wheels, 1976 R12 XL 1289cc
Average consumption 11.67 km/ltr 32.9 MPG

So, maybe I should be happy for an original 23 year old motor (that could use a tune and a service) to be averaging 28 MPG. Also, They weren't using the crap LRP that we have to use.

Ren
cheers!

Mate, there is no loan. I was in the enviable position of having enough money to buy it without borrowing any. Woo hoo, life aint too bad at the moment. :D

cheers!

Dan.

I spotted this one at Gulsons ACT, it was a special $23990 drive away with alloys and 'look pack' (body colored bumpers & door handles), Normally these are optional extras. Looks like the deal is finished now. I had a look around while mine was having its first service, they are still $23990 drive away, but with steel wheels and black bumpers and door handles. Although they now have a different stereo to mine, and trip computer where mine just had the date/time display. But I reckon mine looks a lot better with the 'look pack'.

Pics are in the members gallery but are a bit burnt out as the white car in the morning sun was a bit too much for the film I was using.

cheers!

Dan.

<small>[ 12 December 2002, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: FatDan ]</small>

Well having just thrown a rebuilt 1565cc motor with a set of 40mm DCOE's in the 17, I'm actually quite impressed at my Fuel consumption. I havn't done a KPG/MPG test yet though.

It's much beter then what I thought it would be.

FatDan:

cheers!

Dan.
Well that is better than what I get in my Xsara. I average about 8.5 L/100km, and that is on BP Ultimate. Then again it is mainly stop/start driving through traffic, I don't get onto the freeways that much.

Troy.

I filled my R12 1.4 manual wagon this morning with Optimax and it averaged 30.5mpg on the last tank. This is mostly driving around town (Canberra) but I get higher economy on the highway.

Renweave, I think 30.5 around town is pretty darn good. Are you using a lead substitute and/or octane booster with the Optimax.

Ren

TroyO
Well that is better than what I get in my Xsara. I average about 8.5 L/100km, and that is on BP Ultimate. Then again it is mainly stop/start driving through traffic, I don't get onto the freeways that much.

Troy.
Yeh, the traffic in Canberra is fairly light compared to other places, the roads are really smooth, and there aren't many hills. Plus that 7.0 l per 100k includes my first few weeks were I was breaking her in. The average has probably gone up a little since then.

cheers!

Dan.

<small>[ 16 December 2002, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: FatDan ]</small>

R12's were never that good on economy compared to modern cars. I've never worked mine out (that I can remember) but I can tell it's never been very good, and I'm as fussy as hell with setting it up. Looking at road tests of the day, I see overall consumption from 5 tests of around 29 mpg, with some as low as 24, and a best of 40 (overall) from the TS. I'd estimate about 29 for mine, but I do use the second barrel all the time.

Stuey

I had a 12gl 76 wagon in the early 80's. With 20,000km on the clock it returned about 27mpg around town and 34mpg on the highway, Calder Hwy that is which means it had to work.

Azure is right, it needs an extra cog to take advantage of any easy going.

Bob

FatDan:
Yeh, the traffic in Canberra is fairly light compared to other places, the roads are really smooth, and there aren't many hills. Plus that 7.0 l per 100k includes my first few weeks were I was breaking her in. The average has probably gone up a little since then.

cheers!

Dan.
A friend went to Canberra recently and one thing he commented on was how light the traffic was.

My trip to work is just under 10k's and this includes 12 sets of traffic lights. You can imagine what havoc all the stop and go driving does to the fuel economy.

Troy.

<small>[ 17 December 2002, 01:15 AM: Message edited by: TroyO ]</small>

I drive my R12 1.4 wagon fairly gently and alternate between Optimax and the Shell lead free super. It runs much better on Optimax, but I haven't seen much difference in the economy between the two types of petrol. I have a 10km trip to work each day but only 5 sets of lights on a 80km/h road, plus a few runs down the Tuggeranong Parkway each week. Will be interesting to do fuel calculations after the Aussiefrogs run into the Brindabella Mtns on Saturday.