Fuel consumption Peugeot 2008 1.2 Turbo (year 2017, automatic)

BarryC

Fellow Frogger
I'd be interested in any information about real-world fuel consumption for the latest Peugeot 2008 (2017 upgrade with the 1.2 turbo).

I've had mine for a year, and over 15000 Kms get 6.3 - 6.4 L/100K on country trips over the last 6 months (ignoring figures when the car was very new, although not much different). I've done the calculation based on fuel added to tank vs Kms traveled rather than relying on the car computer. The car software optimistically shows around 6.1 L/100 Kms for the same trips. I also use cruise control and speed limiter on most trips, so I'm certainly not lead-footing it. Quite the opposite it would seem.

In suburban traffic I get around 8.5 measured identically although the car computer again cheerily shows around 8.4. I'm a little disappointed with the city calculations, as it's virtually the same as my 2010 Peugeot 207 with a larger non-turbo engine. On the other hand, the car only uses the lower four gears when traveling in 60 Km/h areas and only gets to 6th gear on the suburban freeways.

Quoted figures from the Peugeot website quote City cycle 5.9, Highway cycle 4.1, combined cycle 4.8. Clearly I'm a long way from these figures.

I'd be interested in comments from anyone who has done consumption figures for this engine. (Even interested in the same engine in a 208 sedan too, I suppose)

Cheers

Is that a manual or an auto?

My experience with is that quoted figures are always very optimistic with any car.

It's the new Aisin 6 speed auto. Only transmission available with the 2008 in Australia.

Is that a manual or an auto?

My experience with is that quoted figures are always very optimistic with any car.

Almost never using the brakes would seriously restrict my suburban driving style - I'll dip out on that one!

Thanks and cheers

The testing is not very representative of steady highway driving:
https://www.greenvehicleguide.gov.au/pages/Information/FuelConsumptionLabel
Being 30-50% above the extra-urban figure when driving consistently at 110km/h is about right for most boxy vehicles. But you should be able to get closer to the city figure by almost never using the brakes.

The testing is not very representative of steady highway driving:
https://www.greenvehicleguide.gov.au/pages/Information/FuelConsumptionLabel
Being 30-50% above the extra-urban figure when driving consistently at 110km/h is about right for most boxy vehicles. But you should be able to get closer to the city figure by almost never using the brakes.
Almost never using the brakes would seriously restrict my suburban driving style - I'll dip out on that one!

Thanks and cheers
Thats the only way to match the official figures, since the test cycle has gentle accelerations and decelerations where you engine brake. Its possible to anticipate traffic ahead and do similar around town rather than accelerating only to get on the brakes again (people passing to pull up at red light for instance).

I'm amusing myself (at the expense of other drivers on the road and my own inner nature) by doing very gentle accelerations and some anticipation of traffic flow (although I usually do all of this anyway). I couldn't do this glacial rate of acceleration forever - it's a temporary measure and has had some effect having gone through a quarter tank of petrol. I'll be back to my normal ways sooner rather than later, I fear.

Thats the only way to match the official figures, since the test cycle has gentle accelerations and decelerations where you engine brake. Its possible to anticipate traffic ahead and do similar around town rather than accelerating only to get on the brakes again (people passing to pull up at red light for instance).

I have a problem believing that an engine that small could perform as advertised.
I think that going below the 1.6 L mark is actually ridiculous.
It's like a child on steroids, always suffering for performance, unlike a bigger engine which would make less effort and therefore get very good fuel consumption and better durability.

ADR Spec fuel consumption figures should only be used to compare different cars when making a purchasing decision.
They are very optimistic BUT if Vehicle A says 6.2L/100km and Vehicle B says 7.1L/100km you can pretty confidently assume in real life Vehicle A will use less fuel. That's all those figures are good for.

Good point re quoted figures.

Just out of interest, my fuel consumption over the last few thousand is around 8.5 in the suburbs (nothing special), and around 6.2 on country trips. Calculation based on fuel in tank vs Kms travelled. I'm happy enough with the country stuff as I usually sit on (maybe slightly above?) the legal limit using speed limiter or cruise control depending on traffic density/road safety issues. I've done 15,000 so far and fuel economy has improved noticeably since new. Sad, I know, but I always note petrol and kms traveled in my log book .....

just to be difficult;

how accurate is the kilometre figure given by the speedo?

.1% per kilometre or more could make a quite a difference ...

ed

Last edited:
Yes, I'm aware of that issue, but have no easy way of checking unless I do a check over 100 Km or so of highway signs. I might try it, but i'm sure the highjway signs can only be plonked to the nearest kilometre or so, which is a degree of inaccuracy itself. Too hard!

Cheers

would not modern GPS systems (of which I am completely ignorant) offer some assistance?

ed

True. Must get my brain into gear on a long trip and do a comparison. I suppose the inbuilt GPS in the car would show true kms as opposed to the car odometer. Hmm....

Not trying to be a pain Barry, have just become very interested in with what you're doing.

ed

My 308 1.2 6A consistently gave me 5/100 driven off the brakes as much as possible and rarely above 90kph .....unless on a freeway behind a truck (~ 40m). Living in the country makes hypermiling possible.
(A return trip to Perth via the south coast in the diesel manual 2008 cost only $320 in 2016).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just got identical car Barry. Computer showed 6.6. I rest and after 500km suburban getting the same. using the eco stop start on my Allure. Do you have that? Question when do these cars use sixth gear. only seen D5 so far up to 80kph.

dhaw; Question when do these cars use sixth gear. only seen D5 so far up to 80kph.[/QUOTE said:
From 81 as I recall.
The odometer is v accurate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D6 drops in at about 90k and above. Will drop out again to d5 below about 80. I find that the computer is consistently about 0.2 or 0.3 more optimistic than my real-world litres in divided by kms travelled. Getting less anal about this now, but interesting. I refuse to drive for optimal economy, although cruise control and speed limiter use would effectively do this anyway. I generally brake gently but do not do the “coast for 500 metres to the next set of lights noo matter who is behind me” approach.

Saw D6 yesterday on southern cross drive... naughty naughty... its a real overdrive. The noise from the engine sounds very tractor like or even diesel like. I call mine "Growler" Punchy little motor..I like it. What tryes do you like on it?