Fuego's

DoubleChevron

Real cars have hydraulics
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Hi Guys,

let's get some discussion going. Anyone know of an easy way to get a bit more go out of a Renault Fuego (without putting lots of weight over the front wheels...).

The easiest suggestions I've heard are:

-warm over the existing motors, double carbs etc... Costs big money to do properly.

-Fit a motor out of a R25 with injection gear (probably the best option).

-Maybe fit a supercharger running a low boost as imported on lots of jap motors of about 2litres?? Not sure about the logistics of this one though...

I'll post a picture of my brother Fuego with it's 16" 215/45 rubber when I can find a photo.

seeya,

Shane Leviston

The AUS spec Fuego is in a pretty low state of tune, like many Euro motors of the 80's it runs a low compression. The advantage of this compared to its Euro cousins are that it can run standard 91 octane ULP.

The AUS spec motor puts out 77kw, the Euro spec version puts out 82kw.

The 25 transplant is possible, with some stuffing around but pick the early leaded motor (it will run on PULP, 98 octane). That has 96kw, the later (1987) unleaded motors put out 79kw, little advantage for all the work required. But it does have more torque.

Weber manifolds are available for the Fuego motor from OS, but to make the best advantage of them you would need to modify the cam, get higher compression pistons etc. It may even be easier to go Motec injection(about $2K).

I like the idea of a supercharger though, that should remove all the probems associated with the Fuego Turbo, lag and torque steer.

Another thought is going PRV V6, David Cavanagh has done this conversion and may want to comment further, but I heard that the car required A LOT of modification to stop it handling like a pig. The car which it was done to now sits as another engineless project in someones shed.

Problem is that all of the above would cost big money to convert a car not really designed as a sports car, more a good long distance tourer (if you don't have too much luggage), or as I have heard a fat, bloated 15/17 descendent. Best spending the readies on a cheap 205 GTi which is likely to become a classic car, or better still keep saving up the bikkies for an RS Clio!

The gearbox likes to surf a huge torque curve, and any modification to increase power is likely to affect torque making the wide ratio cruiser box a bit of a nuisance on nice curvy roads.

My suggestion, keep it stock for economy and reliabilty, or just make minor modifications. These cars are not worth a great deal of money.

Simon

Shane,
So you want to get Fuego going, thats easy, sell it and by a 17. But if you insist on a Fuego then I have a twin weber manifold and competition cam in stock, youll need to fly cut your pistons but it will work.
V6 is a good option, plenty of power the one we built did 0-100kph in 7.2 seconds and we had it to 240kph but lots of work and people still ask me to build another one but I wouldn't have the time these days.
R25, I recon is the best option, alot more torque and its legal being within the 10% increase in capacity so you don't need an engineer certificate nor any brake or suspension mods (but I would advice you do), also it looks standard and therfore no police hassles and even the anti pollution still works. The 25 engine is easy to bolt up (same as Fuego) and just fit an electric fuel pump and power to your computor and off you go, but I still recon my first idea was the best, by a 17.
Seeya,
David.

25 sounds like a good idea.. with a nice little cam mod...
My Dad has a pajero to which he has fitted extactors and Haltech injection. This is a fully programmable system like the Motech to which he hooks up a laptop and fiddles according to how mad he feels on that particular day. The thing goes.

Now, fit that to the fuego and...

Bugger, was that the gearbox blowing? Might have to ease up on the reverse donuts!

We think that Shanes brothers fuego has had the suspensioned worked on as it is a lot firmer and flatter than mine and with the big rubber hit goes aroun corners like it is on rails. Ive driven stock 17 G's and while they are enjoyable, I tend to prefer the stock Fuego. I would be interested to see how they would compare after Mods

Liegh, you havn't driven my 17G have you, and I've driven plenty of Fuegos, but really anyone hotting up a Fuego it would be a good idea to change the gearbox, maybe R25 or R20 but Fuego boxes have trouble handling Fuego power.
David.

I have a Fuego with a 25 engine and a cam I used the Fuego Head and carb for ease of conversion. I now have a Fuego that pulls like a train has a mean exhast note but only gets about 23 mpg in Canberra traffic and 28 on the highway was it worth it? well no one could tell it is a 25 engine unless they read the engine plate and the sense of achievment was worth it any way.

Saw a yellow Fuego at the QLD Grand display with a V6 wedged between the front wheels, now that would haul a$$, but co$t a lot to do no doubt...