Fuego vs R25 handling?

deja vu 25

Fellow Frogger
Hi All

Having only driven a Fuego a short distance about 12 years ago, I was wondering How the R25 handled compared to the Fuego. All the Fuego owners seem to think that the Fuego is a pretty hot handler. Which would be very true being Euro and a Renault.
I personally think the R25 handels well ( a Fuego with 4 doors some may say - but with a lot more class). i do find the 2.2 a better handler around corners than the V6 (due to extra weight over the front wheels). It hugs very well, and the faster you go the better it sits.
There is a guy in the canberra club who has an R25 and a mid '90's pug 405, and he says the R25 is by far the better drivers car and handler on the open road.

I would be intererested in comparisons, even if the R25 is not compared to the Fuego.

Cheers

Luke

Before I got my R25 V6i, I thought it would be a bit of a sponge (in keeping with it's specification) but was amazingly suprised to find that it felt much more like a "big" Fuego.

Certainly the ride is better than a Fuego, but with similar roll rates etc.

It needs quite a push to get it to understeer, but I must admit I haven't tried too hard. Just didn't seem right for the sort of car it is :)

I'd be interested in the handling of the R25....im considering buying one to scoot around in while the Fuego gets worked on. There's a R25 for sale at $800 but i want a manual.

Anyone with a R25 care to swap keys for a fanging :D ?

Having owned and done a lot of ks in both, I agree that the R25 handles like a big cushy Fuego. The R25 is much easier on the kidneys over the rough stuff, tends to roll a little more and in keeping with the extra weight will push on in hard cornering a little more.
However, for hoon driving the Fuego is the one to have. The power steering of a Fuego has better feel and chassis I think is a bit better balanced and easier to steer on the throttle.
I would like to have one of each - a R25 auto for everyday running about, and a EFI Fuego (the carby setup is the only thing that lets them down) for mucking about.

And I'm not sure an R25 has more class, theyre just different.
But a manual R25 is good comprimise since I cant afford to have both! Lower the suspension a little, mild induction and exhaust mods and some good tyres and the R25 will give most Fuegos a run for their money!
The extra comforts and better engine more than make up for being a little slower on the windy stuff. But I do love the looks of a Fuego - very unique and they have a great driving position, something the R25 could have been improved on.

Just a question, how did you go about getting an EFI Fuego? Is it any good? I'm having some carbie problems recently and always looking at options.

Dale34:
Just a question, how did you go about getting an EFI Fuego? Is it any good? I'm having some carbie problems recently and always looking at options.
I dont have one (yet) - just a pipe dream at ths stage. An EFI Fuego is created by simply dropping in an EFI 2.2 litre J7T motor from an R25/R21.

Oy Haakon, ive got a current controversial question for you. How are those 2 litre engines stroked to 2.2? shorter rods or modified crank? Ive had 3 different answers from credible people (shorter rods 2 modified crank 1). I just wanna know before i found out for myself... wink

Cheers

renaulturbo:
shorter rods or modified crank?
The answer is both. The big end crank pins are further "out" from the mains, giving a longer "throw". As the big end is now closer to the top of the bore at TDC, a shorter con rod is needed. Put a 2.2 crank with 2.0 rods and the piston will lift out of the bore.
Liners and pistons essentially the same.