Fuego Trip Computer

renoman

Fellow Frogger
Hello fellow Renault enthusiasts, this is my first post so be gentle with me! I have a '85 Fuego Turbo. It is a high spec car with all options except air conditioning. It has a KPH speedo and a MPH tripmeter. At present the tripmeter is faulty in the sections that require inputs from the fuel flowmeter. It appears that these are because of problems with the loom and connector that goes into the back of the tripmeter which has been damaged by a previous owner. Does anyone out there have a replacement loom/plug that they can supply me with? Also does anyone know if the MPH tripmeter can be replaced by a KPH one without changing all the input devices e.g. flowmeter,tank unit etc. I would also like to track down a replacement tank sender unit for a car with a trip computer (it is different to non trip computer car) Can anyone help ? thank you for being gentle with me !

Not sure many people in Oz can help, as all official Fuego imports were 2 litre GTX's, with A/C but without trip computers.

Thanks for that swift reply. As a New Zealander I will have to keep in mind that you Aussies got a bit of a raw deal from the importers ! The Turbo is a fun car with 135HP Std. We've wound the boost up to 15PSI which gives about 145HP with no other mods required. It would be nice to finish it up with the trip computer going properly so if there are any NZers reading this perhaps one of you may be able to help.I also believe that these trip computers were an option on R5's and R18's and possibly some other cars. Au Revoir Renoman!

Rennoman

Best I can suggest is that you check out the US websites or Katriinas message board, you may
be able to access some information and or spare parts. I find that the US Fuego owners are
most helpful and their turbos would be similar at least to your setup.

Good luck!
Ken

Do you know of any Turbo's being wrecked over there? I'd love to get a rear disc brake setup from one! (are Turbo front brakes bigger than GTX?) It would go nicley on the 2.2 EFI Fuego I will eventually get around to building!

Hi Haakon, Yes the turbo has bigger discs but uses the same caliper but mounted on a bigger bracket to accomodate the larger diameter disc. In my opinion it would be hard to pick the diference as the disc is not much bigger. I wonder if say a V6 R25 might have a similarly sized disc and caliper (or larger ?). Standard brakes on Fuego GTX are pretty good in my opinion anyway and you might find a better way to spend the money !! Turbo has rear discs and fiting these might be a better way to go. Front brake brackets have the word "Turbo" cast into them - good for the brag factor perhaps !!.
We have a 84 GTX auto that we are dismantling if anyone is interested send us a note.

I bet the turbo front brakes are the same as 4 cylinder R25 which was what I was going to use - same caliper, larger disc and matching bracket. A nice bolt on conversion. Your right, standard Fuego brakes are pretty good, but you cant beat the feel and modulation of all discs! GTX auto? I didnt think they made an auto Fuego with the 2 litre OHC motor.

HI again Haakon. Yep they certainly did make 2litre version of GTX. Does this mean Aussie only got 1600's ? Most of the ones I have seen in NZ are Autos. I have owned a 2ltr GTX manual bought for $350 that was running bad. New leads and dizzy cap fixed that and she ran like a new one only better. Up our test hill it would do 80mph no trouble in 4th gear (this means good !!)This car has almost as much grunt as a turbo with greater simplicity etc.
One of my ideal cars would be a metallic black or metallic dark blue Turbo body/chassis (for the all disc brakes etc) 2.2litre EFI engine from R25 with warmer cam, manual box from a turbo for close ratios.15" wheels from R25 2.2litre cars, 50 series tyres and all finished off with a black leather interior and dark tinted windows. Wadayareckon you Aussies ??

Yes our GTX's are 2 litrs but all manuals(GTX & TX - 2 Litres, GTS & TS - 1600, TL & GTL - 1.4), but I've never heard of an auto GTX. My Haynes manual says autos were only ever built with in GTS & TS spec ie 1600 cc.
I'm way ahead of you the ultimate Fuego - my plan is Oz GTX (obviously!) manual with unleaded R25 motor(port & polished, extractors & hi flow filter and exhaust but not noisy. Wont bother with cam as I like my engines very civilised), R25 front brakes and mags (195/55 R 15 tyres). For rears brakes I think I'll have to make something fit if I cant get Fuego Turbo or R21 rear discs. Was eyeing off the rears discs on my work car (new Opel Astra - right stud pattern, similar wieght car).

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to use R25 stub axles (including the bigger balljoints and brakes) on a fuego, I've compared them and they seem almost identical in geometry/dimensions. Also, The rear discs of a Pug 405mi16, are they a 4x100mm center or am I barking up the wrong tree. In case you are wondering, I own a white, 86 fuego that is in almost concourse nic. I am in the process (on holidays in 1 week) of converting it to straight gas. I am running a gas-reasearch throttle body (with water injection nozzle built in) and once sorted intend to take advantage of the Avgas style octane rating by boosting using possibly a late model wrx turbo (if I can con my mate into upgadng his turbo)........and if the wife doesn't break both my arms..... whip

I have seen R25 lower arm and hub assy. and brakes used on Fuegos to give a significant increase in negative camber.
Pug are 4 X 108, but Honda,Camira,Gemini and 4 stud BMW are 4X 100. BMW offsets are similar to Fuego.
Alan.