Fuego starter motor / disabling immobliser

Gus

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
I've just been given the opportunity to buy a Fuego for $300. It's the GTX with the Weber on it. 1983.

Car looks OK and doesn't look like it's been thrashed too much but I have yet to hear it run. It's been sitting for 5 months with "bad alternator" but it's current owner has never seen it run.

I hooked it to my 505 battery and tried to start it but the starter motor doesn't go. I can hear a relay switching somewhere in the vicinity of the block of relays just in front of the heater fans.

The problem seems to be an ignition immobiliser - there is a flashing red light and a keypad next to the steering wheel (it doesn't seem to be an alarm because it didn't go off!!)

Noone knows the code, so:

1) Where _is_ the starter motor on this engine (I presume it's on the underside but the car is parked in a mud puddle at present so I didn't go that way... either that or its under the carby, right?)

2) Where is the starter relay on this engine? If I bridge it, can I bypass the immobiliser?

3) Does anyone have any general tips on where the immobiliser will be mounted, how to disable it, or what you think the default code might be (it's had no power for > 5 months so I figure it's back on defaults.)

4) What's a new starter motor worth if it turns out that's the problem?

5) What's a new alternator worth? Can I bolt on any non-Renault alternators?

Angus

I should point out the car is most likely not stolen. The current owner is a legit tow truck driver, he has the papers, keys, and I'll probably get the thing REVS checked before I buy it.