Fuego & R12 Gearboxes

REN TIN TIN

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
The attached link takes to you a story about some novel uses for Renault gearboxes. This guy has mated a Fuego gearbox to a 350 CI V8, and a R12 gearbox to a 3800cc Holden V6. Both motor/gearbox combinations were used is a racing Hillman Imp so one would assume that they weren't treated gently.
I alway had the impression that the Renault transaxles weren't especially robust (except for the Gordini's, TS's, etc.). Are the Fuego & R12 boxes that good that they can handle more than double the power they were designed for??

<a href="http://www.imps4ever.info/specials/v8/feck.html" target="_blank">Gearboxes</a>

Ren

cheers!

Hey, Ren Tin Tin.

In a word, Yes !
I have heard of the NG3 box being used in several kit car applications and as replacement boxes for Lotus Esprits as well as others. The NG3 box has been proven in the UK by the Banks kit car manufacturers to cope with around 260Bhp.

I have dismantled one of my own NG3's and they certainly are a well designed and robust unit.
The main shaft is quite large in diameter.
Certainly over-engineered for the Fuego's 100 odd horses.

The boxes will not be a problem but the diffs may. Are they using Renault diffs or grafting in a really nice diff. like a Ford 9".

peabody:
The boxes will not be a problem but the diffs may. Are they using Renault diffs or grafting in a really nice diff. like a Ford 9".
Ford and "really nice" used in the same sentance? (I'm such a snob.... whistle )

Bodie:
Hey, Ren Tin Tin.

In a word, Yes !
I have heard of the NG3 box being used in several kit car applications and as replacement boxes for Lotus Esprits as well as others. The NG3 box has been proven in the UK by the Banks kit car manufacturers to cope with around 260Bhp.

I have dismantled one of my own NG3's and they certainly are a well designed and robust unit.
The main shaft is quite large in diameter.
Certainly over-engineered for the Fuego's 100 odd horses.
I believe you mean Lotus Europa, not Lotus Esprit

Later Esprit were fitted with a UN1 transmission, and as all Renault afficiondos know, the UN1 is a much stronger piece of kit.

I suppose you could get away with an NG3 in an early Esprit, non-Turbo...

Interesting subject
The strength of the gearbox is as much about the weight of the car as the size of the motor. Sure a NG series box won't hande 800 HP but look at the weight of the thing producing that much HP.
A NG3 will handle 240HP in a Lotus Europa no prob . The NG3 also has 4 sun gears in the diff as against the 12 16 box which has 2.

AU-YT:
Interesting subject
The strength of the gearbox is as much about the weight of the car as the size of the motor. Sure a NG series box won't hande 800 HP but look at the weight of the thing producing that much HP.
A NG3 will handle 240HP in a Lotus Europa no prob . The NG3 also has 4 sun gears in the diff as against the 12 16 box which has 2.
Thats the differance b/w a standard R10 and a Gordini box too. I found out about the weakness of the standard in fine style once when it exploded on the freeway, punched a hole in the bellhousing and poured all its oil out....Still got me home though dance

AU-YT:
Interesting subject
240BHP is a lot of horses. I wouldn't be betting on the longetivity of that transmission. It surely also depends on driving style, power delivery characteristics etc.

ie. If I took a 240BHP Europa and started doing "donuts" I'm sure the tranny would pack it in sooner than if I drove it gently for 100,000KM

To use the UN1 transmission in the Esprit (on later models) there was an ignition retarder system (I think on 1st and 2nd gears) to avoid gearbox failure...

The Europas I am refering are BANKS variety
and are varstly improved and again the strength of the box is also directly related the overal reaction ie the weight of the car. UN1 boxes are fine for V8 but weight begats weight and the next thing the whole exercise is wasted. People still believ that big engines are the way to go.
The UK company Tiger racing Tiger Z100 & Z100WR with two 1000cc bike engines is currently the fastest road car on the record and it weighs 500kgs and uses the original bike gearboxes.

<a href="http://www.banks-europa.co.uk/" target="_blank">http://www.banks-europa.co.uk/</a>
<a href="http://www.tigerracing.com/" target="_blank">http://www.tigerracing.com/</a>

hehe you don't need to give a Lotus owner a lecture about weight! wink

I'm afraid we will have to agree to disagree re: the NG3 & 240BHP - IMO, 240BHP is too much for an NG3 unless driven by a little old man on Sundays.

If my Europa had 240HP and an NG3, I'm damn sure I wouldn't be dropping the clutch too hard!