fuego gearshifts

Kenfuego said:
most times I have a spare set of bushes purchased from Ken Bailey at Caravelle,
Ken

Ken,

Which bushes are still available? I would really appreciate this info.

:cheers:

Haakon said:
I suspect I have a good linkage in my collection of bits, yours for the price of freight - I will have a look at it later this week. I also have a gearbox with only 130K km on it that didnt leak at all. It got replaced due to its owner driving on a dud clutch for too long and it killed 2nd synchro. I was going to keep it for NG spares for my R25 box, but for the rear casing we may be able to strike a deal...

Offer much appreciated Haakon. However, I've allready asked Dave C. to investigate and quote on refurbishing an old one using new substitute bits. Dave has been very good to me over the two or three years that I've been dealing with him, giving me lots of advice over the phone which he has never charged for, and parts prices which are always reasonable and sometimes ridiculously cheap, so I feel that I should give him the oportunity to sell me some labour this time - which is where most mechanics make their living. But if it all falls through, there's every chance you'll hear from me...

Let's stick together so we can keep more of these lovely cars on the road.

frogs4ever said:
Let's stick together so we can keep more of these lovely cars on the road.

Sounds like a plan!! ;) And I agree with your comments re. Dave - very nice bloke who deserves the loyalty.

Hopefully this
is the parts #'s at Caravelle, I cpoed them from Kens 2002 Catalogue - note that not all parts are in stock depending upon deliveries he gets in.

M1290 7700703140 Gear shift bush (140)
M1300-7700692252 Gear shift bush (252)
M1310-7700685274 Gear shift bush (274)
M1320-7700689713 Gear shift bush (713)
M1335- 7700682544 Gear shift knob (leather covered)

I usually just ask Ken to put a set together when he has a shipment in. Most times he has at least one set on hand, but if demand has been up, then you may have to wait for the next lot of imported parts to land. For that reason I usually order an extra set when they become available.

I have one car that needs a set put in, (my spare silver 85 Fuego) but so far I have not had the time. (too much to do on my son and daughters cars!!)

Hope this helps, - and of course I also endorse Daves work and help as a clubman and Renault expert, he does more than most to keep Renaults on the road where they should be. :)

Ken

Ken,

Do you know whether those bushes listed above include replacement nylon/rubber inserts for those little ball joint thingies?

Frogs.

Just rang Ken Bailey on 9890 9061

Has all parts in stock. number in brackets is his quick identifier.

The large nylon selector bush is (252) at $10.50 plus GST
The Rubber rear bush (rod slides and pivots on this) (713) at $15 plus GST
Small nylon bushes (two needed) (140) at $7 each plus GST.
rubber cover/bush two needed (272) at $8.50 each plus GST

and of course add cost of postage. (they are all small and light in weight so should not cost that much to post)

New Leather replacement gear knob is $65

Ken tells me he has all in stock at present, (limited quantities)

Ken (PS I have no connection other than being a satisfied Fuego parts customer of Caravelle)

Thanks for the info Ken,

I've gone ahead and ordered all the bits above from Ken, except for the new gearshift knob, which I can live without.

Dave will still be fixing up the links with substitute ball joints. When that arrives, I'll attach all the new bushes from Carravelle and then hopefully all will be well.

I'll be taking my time to get it right, as I've still got the Pug to get around in. And there's a few other jobs to do while it's off the road, like timing belt change, front engine mount etc.

A tip for doing the timing belt - remove grill and radiator top support thingy.
The radiator/AC condensor/fans assembly can be left as one peice. Dissconnect the rad hoses and the whole thing can be lifted up and rested on the left headlight support member. This gives plenty of room to do the belt without major stuffing about and having to disconnect AC pipes etc.
Make sure the radiator is sitting properly in its little rubber feet upon reassembly.

Good tip Haakon - first time I did timing belt and water pump I disconnected all the pipes - since I think you alerted me the lifting up and resting tip has worked fine without loss of refrigerant.

Also while you have the radiator and cooler out of the way - good to check on the connections etc to alternator and also check the main feed wire to the starter motor. I now always fit a pair of shakeproof washers to the solenoid terminal as often this connection will loosen or become fouled over time. Tried to start my
spare car the other day, it turned over then quit - sure enough it was this same terminal had come loose. Because of its location, it is hard to get to, you have to remove the air cleaner and work blind to tighten it.

With the radiator etc out of the way it is dead easy - also it is easier to ensure the transfer tube that goes around the rear of the engine from the manifold to the
air cleaner is properly fitted to the air cleaner lower inlet - If this comes off the hot air doesn't get to the carburettor and at highway speeds etc the carby freezes up - engine runs (just) lots of black smoke from exhaust as it gobbles your optimax!!!!

I would also check the distributor cap and leads while you have access, make sure the inner carbon spring loaded plunger is o.k. (they burn away sometimes) and the leads are o.k.

Check the fuel filter also and fit new one if it looks old or dirty.

By the way if you haven't changed the spark plugs before on a Fuego, you need a long thin socket extension rod and small universal type plug attachment to feed in between wires and hoses etc for the front and two rear. A short small socket will get the second from front one out.

I use a small 1/4" stanley socket set for this one and it works fine, I put some electrical tape around the universal part to stiffen the joint up enough so you can manourvre the socket and plug back in. A long bent set of fine point pliers ( get them at Clints) helps to get plug wires on and off the plugs.

Clints also have a long T piece plug spanner for about $4 (or so) and this works great on the three (front and two rear) plugs.

Easy to get into and check the engine mounts also. By the way I have found there are two types of starter motors fitted, the early one is quite short and the later one is much longer, though they both bolt up to the same mounts - the shorter one has an extended mounting on one end. The longer one is better it has much more grunt! Often you will find that a local Bosch starter replacement has been fitted, as is the case with the Paris Rhone alternator./

Hope thats not too much information in one go!!

Regards Ken.
;)

Thanks for the tips guys.

I'm not frightened of working in tight spaces - have done an R16TS starter motor myself etc. :evil: Looking forward to getting it all apart and learning more about my Fuego. One thing's for sure though, I won't be removeing anything unnecessarily. I would rather work in a tight space than pull the front of the car to pieces - that's just me. Only the bare minimum will be dismantled.

:mallet: