fuego gearbox that baulks on 2nd gear

Renault17

Fellow Frogger
Hi guys,

have installed the NG1 gearbox (I can hear you all groaning already - I know I know- but type 395 gearboxes are as rare as rocking horse s--t over here!!)

Anyway prior to fitting I drove the car it was fitted in and (unlike mosts fuegos) it never baulked once- going up or down the gears.

Since then I put the box in- changed the gearbox oil with new stuff and guess what :( - it now does a big graunch on 2nd gear!

Yes, it has the right oil- double checked that- any thoughts - other than trying another box?

Anyone got a $5 cost - million dollar cure that I can use without removing the box (again)??? Keen to hear what you reckon.

Cheers Ben

ps if it can't be fixed - what is the correct method of down changing in a 'crash box' (like this effectively is in 2nd now) other than to 'rev the crap out of it' as someone told me when you change down......!

Break out the Nulon...or Molybond.

Originally posted by Renault17:
<strong>Hi guys,

have installed the NG1 gearbox (I can hear you all groaning already - I know I know- but type 395 gearboxes are as rare as rocking horse s--t over here!!)

Anyway prior to fitting I drove the car it was fitted in and (unlike mosts fuegos) it never baulked once- going up or down the gears.

Since then I put the box in- changed the gearbox oil with new stuff and guess what :( - it now does a big graunch on 2nd gear!

Yes, it has the right oil- double checked that- any thoughts - other than trying another box?

Anyone got a $5 cost - million dollar cure that I can use without removing the box (again)??? Keen to hear what you reckon.

Cheers Ben

ps if it can't be fixed - what is the correct method of down changing in a 'crash box' (like this effectively is in 2nd now) other than to 'rev the crap out of it' as someone told me when you change down......!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hi Bogmaster,

clutch linkages adjustment is all good- otherwise it would graunch on other gears too- but it doesn't. When you say Nulon or molybond- is that like a Slick 50 compound or similar? And yes we do have bananas- - soon we get running water too!! but seriously isn't that just the cure for a noisy diff not lack of synchro on gears?

Seeya Ben

Ben,

Yeah, Nulon is very similar to Slick 50. They both contain teflon as their main component, only Nulon is cheaper (atleast it is in Sydney).

Dave

My 20 used to baulk at changing down from second, the Nulon did help substantially reduce the problem.

Plus it does make things quieter and is a lot cheaper than ripping the box out. Worth a try. If it doesn't help in your case you won't have lost much at all.

Originally posted by davemcbean:
<strong>Ben,

Yeah, Nulon is very similar to Slick 50. They both contain teflon as their main component, only Nulon is cheaper (atleast it is in Sydney).

Dave</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ben,

Big crunchies on 2nd downchanges need a little tenderness and not too much of a hurry. Get a 60 plus truckie over there teach you how to double clutch.

The idea is to have the bits spinning around more or less at the same speed when you engage the gear, what the synchro used to do for you. When you move from the upper gear into neutral re-engage the clutch, give a little rev whilst disengaging the clutch and then drop into the lower gear. You develop a feel for it after a while.

Probably a good idea anyway, to make life easier when the clutch cable breaks.

Bob

Hey Bob,
yeah I have tried that- double declutching and revving it to various revs- both blipping the throttle and holding it - at up to around 4000 revs. However all I am rewarded with is a nice healthy crunch each time!

I'm gonna try some nulon? based lube this week- as bogmaster said- I've got very little to lose- really annoying thing was it worked fine (the synchro) before i put this box in! you know the saying if it ain't broke don't fix it......

Car goes for a warrant of fitness this week- it'll be interesting to see if the warrant man picks up on any of the changes- i.e diff. gearbox/ motor, shortened driveshafts extra camber etc etc as we tried to make it all look as factory as possible. On our side is the fact that no-one knows what these cars ever came out with in the first place..

Seeya Ben

G'day,
When you said you changed the oil with the right type, what was it. These gearboxes do not like 80/90 and definately causes trouble with slow synchros. Use a 80W or 75/80 and I am sure it will be much happier. It does not sound like much of a change, I know it works. I use Penrite gearbox oils in my standard cars

Alan.

Hey guys,

thought I'd let you know what happened with the change in oils- nothing... yet anyway.

I drained the existing 80/90 oil and added one 'specifically for 5spds' (Castrol VMX 75/90 I think) and also a Nulon product that I bought locally- $15 NZ for 125 mls- not cheap!

Still baulks on 2nd - admittedly I have only driven it around 10-15kms since I did this but there was no discernible difference- except maybe a little less bearing whine in 5th gear.

Still it was worth a go- now I am on the hunt for a gd fuego box with synchro on 2nd i guess..:rolleyes
Has anyone reco'ed one of these boxes?- If you have on a difficulty scale what would you give it...

thanks Ben :

Sorry that the Nulon turned out to be a bum steer....if you hvae any left, it makes a great substitiute for Anusol. :(

It's really weird that it would just give up like that between removing from one car and dropping it into the next.

cheers
Originally posted by Renault17:
<strong>Hey guys,

thought I'd let you know what happened with the change in oils- nothing... yet anyway.

I drained the existing 80/90 oil and added one 'specifically for 5spds' (Castrol VMX 75/90 I think) and also a Nulon product that I bought locally- $15 NZ for 125 mls- not cheap!

Still baulks on 2nd - admittedly I have only driven it around 10-15kms since I did this but there was no discernible difference- except maybe a little less bearing whine in 5th gear.

Still it was worth a go- now I am on the hunt for a gd fuego box with synchro on 2nd i guess..:rolleyes
Has anyone reco'ed one of these boxes?- If you have on a difficulty scale what would you give it...

thanks Ben :</strong><hr></blockquote>

:cool: