fuego failure

Steve Drury

Fellow Frogger
Hi all; well, my 86 Fuego is sick and I'm hoping that I can get a few clues from you guys as to its ailments. For the last 7 days, Freddie Fuego will not restart - even after a paltry 600m in cool Blue Mtns weather. Cranks fine; spark is good; fuel supply is good. I guess that indicates "the carbie". Short of overhauling the entire carbie, are there any obvious points of carbie (mis)function that I should look at ????

Steve Drury:
Hi all; well, my 86 Fuego is sick and I'm hoping that I can get a few clues from you guys as to its ailments. For the last 7 days, Freddie Fuego will not restart - even after a paltry 600m in cool Blue Mtns weather. Cranks fine; spark is good; fuel supply is good. I guess that indicates "the carbie". Short of overhauling the entire carbie, are there any obvious points of carbie (mis)function that I should look at ????
You should check the ins and outs of the electrical ignition and timing as well...try the obvious like the air cleaner...throw a few spanners and see if it makes the difference! :mad: :mad:

I went through three different carb's on my old 20 in the belief that they were stuffed - because it would idle for a while then just drop dead....eventually I twigged by accident to a cracked wire supplying the solenoid idle valve....intermittent fault - changing the carbs would close the connection temporarily as I removed and refitted the wire to the solenoid. It would run for a while then back to square one... I hope your problem is easier to find

cheers! .

<small>[ 17 October 2002, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: BogMaster ]</small>

If you live in the blue Mountains in Sydney. You should take your car to Colliers automotive in Granville. He can fix any issue with any Renault basically... renault_

The solenoid (which shuts off fuel to the idle circut when ignition is turned off to prevent running on) on the side of the Weber (opposite No. 2 spark plug (which by the way is a lot easier to get out when you remove this solenoid first!!)is a tempramental little shit. It sticks, gets dirty connections etc and when its not working, the car won't idle and is a pain to start. Test by turning on ignition and disconnect lead - you should hear it click when you push the lead back on.
Ignition should be fine - timing etc is hard wired into the ECU (a basic one admittedly) and is solid state. It either works or it doesnt - so if it sparks, I would be looking elsewhere (assuming its in good nick - do the obvious stuff like ensuring plugs are clean, leads are good, cap clean and not carbon tracking - pwr steering Fuego's often get the distributor negleted because its a pain to get at (easiest from underneath - put her up on ramps and crawl under). Carbon tracking can cause a sudden loss of appropriatly directed fire to the plugs. It may look like its sparking, but its at the wrong plug at the wrong time)
And manual steering Fuego's get oil leaks into the distributor cap which gunges them up.

Have fun

Just to add to what Haakon has said re examination of the Distributor cap, my son's 86 seems
to chew out or burn out the small central spring loaded carbon rod in the cap.
Fortunately I had a few of them new and have replaced them all in my cars and true the
cap is a bit of a beast to remove and replace. Best to clean the area with degreaser
and while you are at it also replace the fuel filter which is nearbye.

His car also developed very hard starting and would run for a while and then seem to choke
(a bit like when the carby freezes when the heat transfer hose drops off the air cleaner and eats fuel etc) but the answer on this occasion was to fit a new top dead sensor lead at the rear of the engine (about $70) or if you have another coil/computer unit then try that 1st as I have also had one of those die and the result is similar to the top dead sensor failure.

As far as I know you can only get S/hand units (can get new coils) and Caravelle have new Top Dead sensors. The plate on the sensor is secured by 2 x 11mm head bolts, just watch that you don't drop them into the clutch, a rag stuffed under it is good insurance that wont happen and at least on the 86's you have room to get a small ratchet socket spanner into play to undo the 11mm bolts.

I would try this first before changing a carby and I must say that when my son's car played up I originally felt it was a carby blockage as it would run then stop, cough and
after a while start run cough stop, then no go. Neil at Le Fix in Union Road listened to my
description of the problem and put me on the right track to solve the problem.

Hope you have success. Ken.

<a href="http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/icons/icon14.gif" target="_blank">http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/icons/icon14.gif</a>
thanks fellas. Though rarely a contributor, I am a frequent visitor to the Reno site - just to see whats happenong. I'm amazed at the collective knowledge of you lot and there are a few individuals I'd like to have in my tool box. I take to the Fuego this weekend, willing mind to win over matter. If not, theres always the cold chisel......Shall report back. Thanks guys.