Fuego Engine tweek Bits

AU-YT

Fellow Frogger
Hi all
Fuego Engine performance parts
Can any one poit me in the right direction.
Webber inlet manifolgs cam profiles and Exhaust lengths?
Cheers
Graeme

AU-YT:
Hi all
Fuego Engine performance parts
Can any one poit me in the right direction.
Webber inlet manifolgs cam profiles and Exhaust lengths?
Cheers
Graeme
Give David Cavanagh a call at French connection in Melbourne. He sells that kind of stuff. His website address is on here in the links section or somewhere.

Dave

Ken Bailey at Caravelle has manifolds to suit twin Webers and Crowe cams can do a fast road cam.

I am in the process of putting my Fuego back together with various engine mods including Webers, some head work and exhaust manfolds. When I get my a... into gear and finish it I will pass on the results and information. If there are any worth reporting!

Good luck,
JY

Unfortunately due to matters beyond my control (mainly my wife, mutt, garden and the other requirements of living (like picking up a quid) I have not yet got my a... into gear.

I have now got the gearbox sorted out and the enigine is now assembled and next week (maybe) I'll start dropping it in the hole.

Can anyone tell me (a confirmed computer illiterate)how to attach jpeg photos to a post? If so I will post a couple of my progress to date. What there is of it!!! :D

JY

JY Dog:

I am in the process of putting my Fuego back together with various engine mods including Webers, some head work and exhaust manfolds....

JY
Do you intend doing anything about the fragile engine/gearbox mounts to help cope with the extra power? Apparently failed mounts are a very common problem with Fuegos. If you have any good suggestions in this regard, I would be very interested to hear them.

Engine mounts have been covered a few times. I have replaced a few myself on cars that I bought, but the replacements (bought from Caravelle in Box Hill)are still going strong at least two years down the track.

The only one that seems to fail immediately is the one at the front of the engine and Richard who posts on this Forum has been testing a replacement design.

I don't really bother about the front one now, I just make sure the others are o.k. until such time as a better front design becomes available.

At one time I did a temporary repair to my daughters car with a 5/16 bolt through the centre of the nearside engine mount and that lasted for quite a few months until I decided to put new ones in.

Ken Bailey at Caravelle has plenty of replacement mounts on hand at a reasonable price and if you replace the two main engine mounts at the same time they seem to last o.k.as long as the rear transmission mounts are in good condition and all bolts tight etc.

Regards.
ken.

I'll haven't checked the gearbox mounts yet. Side Engine mounts look OK. Front engine mount is completely stuffed.

When I get the new front mount, I'm going to have a very close look at it to see if there is some way I can strengthen it before fitment. I've allready got a few ideas floating around in my hard, eg:

* Wrap up the rubber form with many, many layers of fabric based adhesive tape (duct tape) to make it more rigid;

or:

* Build up the size of the rubber form by alternately coating it with several layers of black RTV silicone compound, allowing it to set before aplying each subsequent layer. With two or three tubes of RTV and some patience this should result in a much bigger mount. In this, I'm assuming that RTV is roughly as strong as the original mount rubber. Actually, when set, it's probably not as hard as the original rubber, but would have much better elastic properties so it wont be as likely to crack;

or:

* A combination of the above. Alternate layers of RTV and fabric duct tape! This is quite possibly the best option of the three.

:confused:

<small>[ 02 November 2003, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: frogs4ever ]</small>

Sorry for the delay in answering. Been busy on things other than Renaults!

I had not really considered the motor mounts as the only failure so far (pre modification) has been that useless front one over 185,000 km. However I will be keeping a close eye on this, believe me!

I will, tomorrow, finally start reassembling the beast although as mentioned before the need to earn a few extra shekels to help pay for this will slow me up. That and the fact that I a casual sort of a sod nowadays!

JY

Umm,
on the what to do about the engine mount shagging itself front... My 18 turbo has got another engine 'brace' that is bolted to the strut tower that stops driveline snatch on acceleration- perhaps you could get something made up for the fuego too. It's all got to help..
Ben

Hye jy i live in rowvile to, just off wellington rd, i'd love to your car when its done mate

Assuming that at the current rate of progress I finish the thing while I am still able to drive it that will be arranged Purr-Geot! I live off Napoleon Road.

The idea of an engine brace makes sense ... will look into that. Would have to help ... like you say Renault 17 it all adds a bit.

The Fuego started off as a minor bit of work and has now become a PROJECT! However it keeps me amused and as I like a car that has to be driven, as opposed to just aimed, I am looking forward to getting it mobile again. Then paint and interior and I'll have a car that owes me many times what it's worth!!! But I'll be happy!

JY