Front suspension sitting very high.

Vincenzo

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Hello gents,

Today I checked all my fluids topping up as needed but when I put the height lever down to normal driving mode the front of the car refused to drop - and it is now still at "workshop high" height? I unfortunately have a commitment to drive a young man to his Prom night in about 3 hours and I starting to feel quite concerned, as I have no idea why this is happening now or what I can do about it! I've parked the car facing down a slight slope in the lowest height position hoping that it will settle and then I can start over - but new seals recently etc etc don't fill me with any real hopes that this will happen in time. Perhaps overnight it will.

Are there any thoughts as to how I can remedy this situation if only temporarily? Can I safely release the pressure from the system manually?

Cheers
Vincent

give the height control lever a good workout and see if the front drops. I imagine you have popped a linkage out of place across to the front height corrector though.

give the height control lever a good workout and see if the front drops. I imagine you have popped a linkage out of place across to the front height corrector though.
Thanks DC - I have been doing this a little and am now pouring over the manual to see if I pick up any clues. Is there a bleed or pressure release bolt that I can loosen which will drop the front down? I suppose re-placing the HC linkage is a wing off task?

Thanks DC - I have been doing this a little and am now pouring over the manual to see if I pick up any clues. Is there a bleed or pressure release bolt that I can loosen which will drop the front down? I suppose re-placing the HC linkage is a wing off task?

if the linkage has popped off, yes, you need to remove the front guard and the linkage/height corrector cover. There is no way to release the pressure (and if you did, it will just lift back up as soon as you started the car).

Do NOT be tempted to climb under the car .... not for ANY reason. it'll flatten you faster than you can blink if you mess with the linkages from below (especially the rollbar connection).

This may be a bit late but I’d say you’ve got a blocked return line from the front height corrector. There is a wire in the line to slow the fluid flow and prevent the front dropping like a stone. It is prone to getting blocked.

it will make a hell of a mess but you can loosen one of the front suspension supply lines and pull the pipe up. Fluid will pour out of the joint releasing the pressure in the front suspension. Stuff some rags around to stop lhm spraying all over the engine bay.

Thank guys for the suggestions - it seems I have a larger problem as in trying to move the car slightly, I discovered that I have no gear change action - not even an attempt to shift the hydraulic actuators. Night has fallen and it is bloody cold so I'm adjourning until the morning. The young fella I was going to deliver to his prom is disappointed yet very understanding. I think he is a future member of our very exclusive club as his exact words to me were "that's okay, it's a French car: I understand". So I'll take him for a proper hoon one day when I have my girl fixed up.

I have red wine and autobooks manuals to console myself as I sob into my goblet.

DoubleC, you are indeed absolutely correct in reminding us of the dangers of lying under an unsupported DS. To mitigate these issues I have an additional 2 jacks if I ever feel compelled to get into harms way. One is a very solid screw jack that I've had since I was a mere 20 year old. I learnt from someone else's crippling error..

Vince

Now that is odd. Have you moved the manual clutch lever under the steering wheel? It manually engages the clutch but also cuts off the fluid supply to the whole bvh system.

Also worth checking that there is LHM in the tank. If the level is off the bottom of the sightglass at normal ride height then you are about 2L short of LHM.

I will try this tomorrow when the sun is up. The original height issue made became apparent as I had checked the level of blood at the servo when I filled the tank and put the lever into driving position - the rear dropped but not the front. I tentatively drove home with a bouncy front end. The issue with the non-functioning gearchange came after it had been parked for 2 hours and I wanted to reposition it in my driveway. I'll try the pressure relief lever in the morning and see if the clutch engages.

I also experienced the high front end problem unexpectedly a few years ago (2016) and it turned out to be the blocked return line from the front height corrector. I was able to remove the section of line and get it cleaned out. Problem resolved. Still all good.
Blocked line is that ascending from the height corrector and marked with whiteout. Good luck, Ken

Attachments

• 2016 Front height corrector 2 (3).jpg
    2016 Front height corrector 2 (3).jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 120
I also experienced the high front end problem unexpectedly a few years ago (2016) and it turned out to be the blocked return line from the front height corrector. I was able to remove the section of line and get it cleaned out. Problem resolved. Still all good.
Blocked line is that ascending from the height corrector and marked with whiteout. Good luck, Ken
I had exactly the same experience. I ended up heating up the section of return line with the wire in it over the stove and blasting out the dried crud with compressed air. No problems since…

Good afternoon and thank you for all the suggestions!

I visited my localist guru and found out the the problem with my front suspension was caused by.... A pipe seal that had been pinched on installation. This eventually abraded away and blocked the return line from the height corrector. Naturally it was the pipe that has the wire inside to help regulate and slow down the lowering of the car. Otherwise the little bits of errant rubber may have made their way through to the LHM tank, possibly.

The macro function on my antiquated point and shoot isn't as good as I'd like on occasions such as these. But this is shot perpendicular to the plane of the sealing surface and the 'bite' is obvious enough.

Pipeseal scalloped2.jpg

The copper coloured pipe was the location.

HC Return.jpg

The other problem I had with the reluctant gear change was caused by the pressure regulator bleed screw not being tight enough. A quick and solid nip up and that problem was solved easily!

Thank you for all your suggestions and feedback! Most appreciated that there is such a brains trust in the world looking out for us mechanical incompetents.

Cheers
Vince

You didn't open the regulator bleed screw all the way to try and get the front down ?
Yes I did start to do this but wisdom prevailed and I closed it back up - but not enough. A couple of days later I tackled that particular issue and the gearbox started doing its thing, to my great relief.