French Makers Charged with Emissions Fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always was of the opinion that PAA supplied egr blanking plates to dealers was a bit on the knife edge of legal aftermarket have at it but coming straight from the importer.

Not an Australian issue.
Its such a relief that people in Australia are immune to the cancers and respiratory illnesses those weakling europeans suffer. I am so glad out progressive and caring scientifically based emissions standards recognise this miracle and have not unfairly burdened our poor long suffering multinational car and oil corporations with silly constraints.

You do go on. It's a wonder you're brave enough to venture out from the air conditioned office. Of course like all good virtue signalers you have no hesitation flying across the world on highly emitting jet aircraft for a whim because all the guff you sprout only applies to the unwashed masses not you. Europe sets its emission standards, Australia sets its own as do many other countries. What is at question here is the political motivation behind this prosecution of the French (and other) car makers. It's not as if they don't have enough problems in a highly competitive world auto industry.

You do go on. It's a wonder you're brave enough to venture out from the air conditioned office. Of course like all good virtue signalers you have no hesitation flying across the world on highly emitting jet aircraft for a whim because all the guff you sprout only applies to the unwashed masses not you. Europe sets its emission standards, Australia sets its own as do many other countries. What is at question here is the political motivation behind this prosecution of the French (and other) car makers. It's not as if they don't have enough problems in a highly competitive world auto industry.

lol. point missed yet again ;)

ps - guess where "Australian" automotive emission standards come from ;)

Australia has always set its own emission standards to the discomfort of European makers in the 1970's who had difficulties with their uniqueness. Where did emission standards come from? The USA, or California in particular led the field. This discussion is about a euro prosecution.

Your point is? Of course Australia takes account of other emission regulations to escape the difficulties of the 1970's but only a clerk in a government department thinks matters aren't modified to suit taking account of Euro, Japanese and American standards. This is about a European case, I am not aware of any Australian involvement, therefore your usual Australia bashing is ill placed.

Your point is? Of course Australia takes account of other emission regulations to escape the difficulties of the 1970's but only a clerk in a government department thinks matters aren't modified to suit taking account of Euro, Japanese and American standards. This is about a European case, I am not aware of any Australian involvement, therefore your usual Australia bashing is ill placed.

Oh right, words of one syllable required. Gotcha ;)

"Australian" standards are European standards, notwithstanding the delay in adoption. Emissions cheating (ie knowingly producing more than the allowed levels of harmful substances) in europe are relevant because those same vehicles are also sold here.

You may be closer to falling off the perch than some of us and hence less concerned about the toxic crap cars etc put out, but presumably there are younger people in your world you would prefer to live longer healthier lives.

Australian standards are BASED on Euro standards, not adopted word for word and in heavy vehicles taking account of Japanese and American standards. Hard for a low level clerk to understand I know but there is a world beyond your air conditioned office. These standards are implemented in conjunction with the motor industry. You are unashamedly ageist. When the peasants below look up at your jet aircraft pouring toxic crap on them when you decide to travel they must be relieved to know that it is carrying such a worthy person. It's a well known syndrome of self centred woke virtue signalers noted all over the world. So it isn't about Australia, it's about European car firms in Europe. I may be older than you I do my duty and don't have to make up stories of self praise to denigrate others. Still get back to your favorite topic of rubbishing Australia and the car firms we like so much and when you are a big boy mummy might buy you your cherished Tesla.

Ageism is ok to the woke then? Charming. Stick to the topic and keep off your favorite path of denigrating people who actually do things and of course the country that gives you a good living. Lead by example, insist the heating and cooling in your office be turned off, don't travel by air, take up the tasty CSIRO diet of grubs and insects and of course don't use any of that dirty NSW power in your dwelling. Then come back and moralize to the people who create the wealth you live on. Then those of us who really do mange our beautiful environment will stop laughing at you as a spoiled little boy.
But back on topic - there is much to come out behind the political motivation of this prosecution which alleges nothing like the deliberate cheat technology of Volkswagen.

Not on the agenda it seems in the latest round of talks lets see how those charges are addressed... Lip service till then, it seems ...

I'm not encouraged by the use of the term "woke" in regards to worthwhile human endeavours, including things like emission reductions and renewable energy. The "woke" term is used so commonly now that it encompasses anything that the user disagrees with. It's like people who use "woke" all the time are basically "virtue signalling" that their opposition to the "woke" people and ideas are a good thing! In most instances, this is not the case.

I have been looking at the EU standards.

Most pollutant maximum limits, eg for oxides of nitrogen, are measured in mg/km.

A strange unit. How many ways are there to travel a km?

CO and hydrocarbons are to measured at a set temperature (not clear where) after a cold start, also in g/km.

There is a clause on cheating:
10. ‘defeat device’ means any element of design which senses temperature, vehicle speed, engine speed (RPM),transmission gear, manifold vacuum or any other parameter for the purpose of activating, modulating, delaying or deactivating the operation of any part of the emission control system, that reduces the effectiveness of the emission control system under conditions which may reasonably be expected to be encountered in normal vehicle operation and use

I suspect this clause will be prominent in the matter.

It's acat
I'm not encouraged by the use of the term "woke" in regards to worthwhile human endeavours, including things like emission reductions and renewable energy. The "woke" term is used so commonly now that it encompasses anything that the user disagrees with. It's like people who use "woke" all the time are basically "virtue signalling" that their opposition to the "woke" people and ideas are a good thing! In most instances, this is not the case.
Catch all phrase used in response to the usual suspects who constantly repeat the usual mantras with no understanding of what they're saying. In this case that diesel engines are going to poison the individual. Intellectually dull authoritarians threatening free and reasoned intellectual discourse.
Virtue signaling is again a catch all for the tiresome types who are letting us know how virtuous they are by using a few catch phrases. The sort of person who travels to an environmental conference in a private jet but rides a bicycle from the five star hotel to show their virtue.

In this case that diesel engines are going to poison the individual.
To be fair, they tend to poison the individuals behind them than the operator ;)

Wow, I get to ride in private jets now? Sweet! Just make sure the catering is free trade and gluten free please.

Did I say you rode in a private jet?
I am not aware of any study which has shown health damage from diesel exposure in Australian farmers even though the earlier generation of open deck machines blew exhaust gas your way. And there have been numerous health studies done. So my point is that this is not an environmental health crisis one way or the other.

Last edited:
Did I say you rode in a private jet?
I am not aware of any study which has shown health damage from diesel exposure in Australian farmers even though the earlier generation of open deck machines blew exhaust gas your way. And there have been numerous health studies done. So my point is that this is not an environmental health crisis one way or the other.

Russell, I own a diesel powered SUV, and I would certainly not breathe the poisonous fumes emanating from it at close quarters, one of the reasons I suspect that the tailpipe is right at the back of the car and not ducted into the cabin. Apparently long exposure to diesel engine exhaust emissions can affect brain function in a manner unrecognisable to those so exposed. I hardly dare ask how long you and diesel engines have been co-habiting. How long is it now?

Status
Not open for further replies.