French cars in movies

julian b

Fellow Frogger
I turned on the tv at midnight last night and found myself watching Alvin Purple Rides Again[1974] ,and was surprised to see Alvin and his mate cruising rural Australia in a run down Renault 750 in a bid to avoid female attention . It soon breaks down and they get a ride with an all girl cricket team and the nude fest continues .They sure don't make movies like that anymore.

Yea !

I turned on the tv at midnight last night and found myself watching Alvin Purple Rides Again[1974] ,and was surprised to see Alvin and his mate cruising rural Australia in a run down Renault 750 in a bid to avoid female attention . It soon breaks down and they get a ride with an all girl cricket team and the nude fest continues .They sure don't make movies like that anymore.

Hi:)
Yea they don't but I am amazed they did then:rolleyes:. It was only rated M so it did not do so well. The M rated films now just show violence and slow motion killing :disappr: instead of innocuous nudity and a simple plot.

I was surprised to see how quickly they stripped down that R750 motor. Just a quicky time frame :eek::eek:. What was more surprising was it looked like a six cylinder :crazy: now that was unusual in those days, and probably today as well:joker: :joker:
:cheers:jaahn

I saw it mentioned in the guide too but forgot to watch it.

I watched the 2005 version of the Young Hannibal a few weeks ago. It is set around the end of WW2 and in France, Germany and surrounds. There was a heap of period French Cars.
Don't remember the exact movie title but if you like thrillers with plenty of gore, it is a great movie.

Decent french movie on sbs last night,A distant neighbourhood.
Middle aged guy goes back to when he was 14 in a small town in 1967.
lot of tasty frogs of the period,only downside saw one of the main guys drove a Opel Kapitan.

Lady in the Van has a DS and a 2cv as part of the Camden streetscape, though only as static set dressing. The only moving vehicle of note, other that the basically planted van, is a Reliant three wheeler.

I bet the Reliant forums were abuzz with excitement!

Lady in the Van has a DS and a 2cv as part of the Camden streetscape, though only as static set dressing. The only moving vehicle of note, other that the basically planted van, is a Reliant three wheeler.

I bet the Reliant forums were abuzz with excitement!

How often does Mr Bean post on the Reliant Robin Owners Club forum I wonder.?

Not on TV (yet) but there are some R12's in American Sniper.

I saw 'Bastille Day' yesterday, an action movie yesterday with Idris Elba (from Luther and The Wire). Pretty good fun although the plot was a bit improbable. It's shot all around Paris, so it's quite nice to look at.
Elba drove a completely mint looking 405 - which is a bit unusual. He does well to fit himself into the thing, since he's a pretty big guy.
the bad guys drive a C5 sedan (I would expect that only bad guys drive Citroens) and there's a fight scene in the back of a huge Renault van.
Three and a half stars.

'From Russia with Love' bad guys driving Traction Avant, 'The Great Escape' bucks the trend with good guys driving TA (& using it as gun platform). 'Trafic' by Jaques Tati has innumerable 1970's French metal

Not in any sense a movie related French car item but the Bank Australia advert which shows on SBS TV has a very brief shot of the left side of a 505 sedan in a street scene. It's in the very first few seconds of the advert.

Sad when you can't help but respond to such visual stimuli!

Not in movies, but on TV.

The new Maigret show on BBC First (Foxtel) has a great spread of Fifties French vehicles. Several Traction's of various models and a splattering of Pug 203's. All in very good nick by the look of it. Very nice. :)

The actual show isn't too bad also with several actors with mostly comedy past roles playing Parisian cops or newspaper reporters etc. Quite watchable.. Not aware of a date for the second of the series as yet, but the first should be re-run soon-ish no doubt also.

I just tried to find it on youtube. Searched Alvin rides again and bought up the trailer with a couple of shots of the 750 but not many. I laughed when I saw the petrol guy standing there with the radiator cap off and steam pouring out and he's got the petrol bowser in his hand. Apparently lots of people tried to fill the radiator up with petrol back in the day.

I recall seeing the movie back in the 70's and the scene I couldn't find was when the engine is out and the head is off it's actually an R10 engine not 750.

On the subject of serious aussie stuff, I just saw a trailer from 1975 for "Scobie Malone" who was Jack thompson in a 1975 Renault 16ts with the towel rail spotties, white with a black interior, a combo I haven't seen. Any body seen this movie??