gibgib

Local Tyrant
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
User James has suggested this forum & is a great idea
biggrin.gif

Easily more Peugeot posting than the other 2 marques.

Thanks for your support James
smile.gif

gibgib
cool.gif

Well its a start, I tinker away on this wonderful forum from my various places of work around Auckland. I enjoy a challenge so send any request or enquiry.

My car is a 405 SR sort of...

Look forward to hearing from you

Ok if you have a modified pug, post the details here ! Here's the breakdown on my 405

Engine; ported and flowed head with larger valves 44.5mm inlet 38mm exhaust. Custom ground cam. Valves lengthened, rather than use of shims. Compression ratio 11:1.

Twin 45mm DCOE Webers 36mm chokes fed by standard cam driven fuel pump via Holley pressure reg. at 3 psi. Four 3 inch nickel coated trumpets. Hand fabricated Alloy air box with large Simota filter.

Exhaust; 2.5 inch from standard manifold and 405 Sti down pipe to a large twin exit Vortex muffler. Momo DTM stainless tips

306 xn alternator bracket, mounted directly to the block of the removed standard 405 alternator bracket. This allowed fittment of the Webers !

Bottom end; Mi16 8.5 inch flywheel balanced and lightened. Carbon fibre pressure plate, heavy duty cover. Crank, pulley and bolts all balanced with connecting rods which were shot peened with the crank.

309 Gti gear box, nice close ratios !
(I blew up the standard 405 box doing wheelies !)

Suspention/wheels; Lowerered 80mm on Jamex springs, Koni 3 way adjustable shocks. Tsw Imola 17 by 8 inch, 215 45 Nangkangs ($120.00 each, cheap, cheap!)

Will post the dyno figures soon, comparing to a standard 405 !!!

James you didn't tell me your 405 was that low.
it'd be about the same height as mine if i've lowered mine 60mm and the mi16 is 20mm lower to begin with.
how are the wheels, 8" i've been told they dont fit too easily?
if thats not true i can go and fit the 20 x 8's i'm after LOL
my rear tyres catch on the arches and bumper, how about yours?

Andreas

To fit the rear wheel arches needed a bit of "hack n chop".
I ran a hack saw between the bumper and rear quarter (in the wheel arch) back to the wheel arch bulk head.

This was then hammerered around, filed and painted. The inner guard had to be removed, also the inner wheel arch lip had to be tapped around but only at the very rear of the wheel arch. Only took 40 minutes !!

Forgot to mention the bumper inner edge got a bit of a a shave as well. Every time it rubbed I filed it back just a tad more.
Ok its not rocket science, but I can carry a full load with no worries.

Hello all. my name is alec and im a student in auckland. James, u know my girlfreind Kahla who has been placed for clinical at ur work. i have a 205 gti 1.9 and have owned it for 3 months now. i had been lusting after one since i was twelve and i now have one and its better than id hoped. it has run a 16.00 sec flat at meremere ( if this is slow its cause the track is shocking) but in the process beat 2 gts skylines, a 1.8 vtec integra, a vti civic and a mr2 limited. on the side my dad has a '91 mi16 and my mum has a Citreon bx 16valve ( same motor as mi16). i was wondering what exhaust, filter and chip combination to go for and if the chips are available off the shelf in NZ. thanks

Kahla's agood girl isn't she ! I dont think she understands the 'peugeot' thing though !!

Give my friend Greg Kent a call 4447703 and he will set you in the correct direction. I will chat with you later as again I am at work.
Stay in touch .

Forget the chip and look for a second hand Haltech. Any model is easliy hooked up to a Peugeot as the air and water temp. sensors are very similar. Even the fuel only models are a great buy, as they trigger off the negative side of the coil. If you're planning on any serious modifications., they're a great investment. I can supply a base map to get you started for any model. They are easily programed with any PC, 286 up.

alec, as far as the exhaust goes there has been heaps of tests in the uk to improve the 205 gti...none worked. the factory system is that good!! there is only one that got an extra 10 bhp and that was magnex...at great expense..around 400gbp. as far as filters go i have found that pipercross to be up there and k&n to be so so. regarding the chip...peter t is right.. spend your $ on haltech etc. jr

I have been told even the Magnex exhaust doesnt improve bhp.
according to dyno runs of a 1.9 GTi on throttle bodies there was no difference between it and the factory exhaust.

here are the pics of jr's 205 Mi16.

jr1.jpg

jr2.jpg

jr3.jpg

jr4.jpg

jr5.jpg

Wow jr that's a fine looking bit 'o gear
biggrin.gif

There are quite a lot of mods under the bonnet by the looks; when I compare to the one I used to own anyway.

Looks Great! But how did you make clearance between the radiator and the inlet manifold?

to get the gap between inlet manifold and radiator the motor is leaned very slightly forward[this also helps the exhaust manifold fit] a new bottom engine mount is fabricated, in addition the radiator is changed to a two core setup giving alittle bit more room again[ the a/c is completely removed] this is where i said the car has been lightened...no air, no spare wheel,light aircraft battery used...a saving of around 20kg. cheers jr

------------------

I'll bet it goes like stink !!!!!

The dimma wide body kit would finish the job !

Referring to the earlier comment on exhaust systems. I spoke with a firm in the UK who were involved in the development of xu9j2 racing engines. Guess what ?
They used the standard exhaust manifold and a strait through 1 3/4 inch pipe.
Ok were talking about the late eighties UK 205 club circuit, but these cars were FAST and could out handle anything. Apparently a lot of them are still around and form the standard by which most of the high tech multi valve cars struggle to achieve on the club circuits.

The 205 is the original hot hatch !

[This message has been edited by James (edited 19 March 2001).]

i looked into a dimma kit a few years ago, highly expensive[approx. $8000 at the time] and the fibreglass dimma copies were cheap and nasty.also the special wheels that went with that kit are no longer made unfortun. all my concentration at the moment is going into finding a suitable supercharger for the 16v motor,there are so many types on the market lots of homework is req. yes the car does go like stink..surprises a few!! jr

------------------

hey JR tell me hoe you go with stuff on charger for 16v, so what was that about wolf in sheeps clothing again...

JR,

SWEEEEEEEEEET !!!...Looks just like mine, but fast !!!

Can you tell me what size rims are fitted and if you need to mod the guards, if you have changed the standard ride height and by how much?

I can see your battery set up now, and the angle of the AFM...looks great...what sort of life expectancy can you expect out of a battery that size?

Cheers

Chipper

DOH !!

Never mind, I opened my eyes and saw your spec post.

What you could tell me is how hard it is to find a wheel in 16" with the correct offset?

Chipper