FORD Vedette Photo.

czmike

Tadpole
Hello Vedette lovers!

Late last year I sourced some parts for my '55 Renault Fregate from a nice Frenchman on ebay.
Today he sent me some photos of his recently restored 1950 model Ford Vedette (one photo attached).
I had never seen this model car before and did not know about it, only knowing the later Simca Vedettes.
He just finished the restoration for the Retromobile show in Paris a couple of weeks ago.
The attached photo is in low resolution but I have the original (4Mb) and some others.
If you would like to see them tell me where to send or put them please (poliment naturellement!).

Also please tell me where I can buy a beautifully restored Vedette (Simca's are OK to).
Love that flat-crank, side-valve, retarded V8 sound!

Best Regards,

Mike Munday

Attachments

• Edgar's Vedette 45kb.jpg
    Edgar's Vedette 45kb.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,145
photo of Vedette

Thank's for the photo and I would like to see more.

Beautiful car indeed ............. did you know that it was originally designed as a compact Mercury but sold off to Ford France as the Yanks were not ready for a compact car at that time. The V8 motor is unique to the French Ford and is considerable different from the similar Ford V8- 60.

Google the 1949 Mercury and likeness.

Check out the current good carrier thread to see photo's of a couple of nice Vedette's.

VEDETTE photo's

Some pix of the Ford Vedette's taken in France and one of the Mercury for comparision.

Attachments

• vedette5402.jpg
    vedette5402.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1,349
  • vedette5403.jpg
    vedette5403.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 740
  • vedette5404.jpg
    vedette5404.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,197
  • vedette5406.jpg
    vedette5406.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 828
  • Vedette5407.jpg
    Vedette5407.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 714
...so it looks as though they came as a fast back or a notch back?
Interesting, the vee windscreen change - makes me think of Mk 7 Jaguars, which went to a one piece (curved) screen, but the legacy of the previous two piece vee'd screen remained visible in the bodywork above the screen.
Extremely subtle piece of detail for the anorak brigade. (Who, me?):rolleyes:

I prefer the earlier Mercury look a like with sloping back. Gee the 48 Ford/mercury sure inspired a lot of smaller cars. Think the earlier Volvos as well.

I had never seen this model car before and did not know about it, only knowing the later Simca Vedettes.

Best Regards,

Mike Munday

So do I! I know that Ford parts are very reliable. sorry for pulling up an old thread.Would you happen to know if the car is all good, I mean can the car be used for long drive? I'm just curious..

Hello Vedette lovers!

Late last year I sourced some parts for my '55 Renault Fregate from a nice Frenchman on ebay.
Today he sent me some photos of his recently restored 1950 model Ford Vedette (one photo attached).
He just finished the restoration for the Retromobile show in Paris a couple of weeks ago.
The attached photo is in low resolution but I have the original (4Mb) and some others.
If you would like to see them tell me where to send or put them please (poliment naturellement!).

Also please tell me where I can buy a beautifully restored Vedette (Simca's are OK to).
Love that flat-crank, side-valve, retarded V8 sound!

Best Regards,

Mike Munday

I thought they had a crossplane crankshaft?