Finding colours in the wiring loom / harness via Peugeot servicebox?

experinker

Tadpole
Hello All,

I'm curious on how does the service technician / auto electrician normally quickly trace which wire is which inside the loom to diagnose a wiring fault?
For example, if there is a section on the wire that is faulty and finding out how to cut it over.

So I was wondering if it possible to find the wire colour code of the wiring loom / harness via Peugeot servicebox (as a paid subscription service)?
If so, which section do you go to?

You don't say which model you have. Yes, the official diagrams give colours - they are reproduced in some aftermarket manuals as well. Current cars have the diagrams spread over several pages. Current cars also use a digital bus - the switching occurs at the fitting when a particular signal is imposed on the line and detected.

There is an overview of the bus as used in cars at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus

No they don’t peugeot cit have long used the numbered wiring system every 6 inches or so the wire has a number on it some earth leads are green and yellow but doing this as long as I have I really like it

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 505 GR xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

Last edited:
No they don’t peugeot cit have long used the numbered wiring system every 6 inches or so the wire has a number on it some earth leads are green and yellow but doing this as long as I have I really like it

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 505 GR xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

Yes, I tend to agree...Peugeot/Citroen have used the numbering system for some time but not certain about late model cars.
It's not like the good ol' Lucas system where you could rely on a certain colour to lead to a certain component...whereas the numbering system is usually found on a connector or the component itself.
If you relied on the traditional colouring system you would be totally up the creek ;o))

Yep even the latest ones I hope they don’t change with the peugeot system you can use the number to find what it runs or what it has ie bxxx power mxxxxx earth 9xxx bus system.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

Yep even the latest ones I hope they don’t change with the Peugeot system you can use the number to find what it runs or what it has ie bxxx power mxxxxx earth 9xxx bus system.....

I became quite adept at tracing systems with numbers over the 15 years ownership ;o))
This car now is in the hands of my youngest daughter and running well.
The next project will be fitting twin LED reverse lights to replace the stupid European system of one
reverse light.
I'll tap into the reverse wires and mount them each side of the number plate....an ideal location.