Feugo Wheels.

Pierre

Fellow Frogger
The Feugo in Australia has metric wheels fitted standard.The tyre size is 200/65R-340, or 13-3/8". It seem that there are few tyres available from suppliers. Alloy rims can be fitted as replacements with "sensible" tyres. Has anyone tried this and found nasty problems,such as,hitting brake parts messing up speedometers etc.

Hi,

you forgot to mention how bad the michelin trx tyres are in the wet. The usual replacements are 15" wheels. However my cousin got 14" wheels on his, he had to try several sets before they found a set that didn't hit on anything. My brother has fitting whopping 16" wheels to his fuego, the thing handles like it's on rails and looks fantastic. The cost was about $200 a wheel for the new 16" wheels with second hand pirelli rubber from japanese type importers in melbourne the total cost was not much more than a new set of shockingly disgusting trx tyres. I've never seen a Fuego smashed anywhere but the front from where it's understeered off the road from those sh*# original hidiously expensive trx tyres. The 16" looks fantastic, handles brilliantly, the steering is **enormously** lighter. The speedo isn't a problem you just get tyres with the same rolling diameter. from memory the rubber under my brothers car is 215/50/16 . Any wheel place should be able to work out a wheel/tire combination with very similar rolling diameters.

seeya.........

I've seen a few Feugos going around with Holden Camira wheels. They seemed like the 13 inch ones. Some late Camiras have 14 inch wheels but I'm not sure if they have any clearance problems. Trouble is that most of the alloy Camira wheels look pretty silly.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pierre:
The Feugo in Australia has metric wheels fitted standard.The tyre size is 200/65R-340, or 13-3/8". It seem that there are few tyres available from suppliers. Alloy rims can be fitted as replacements with "sensible" tyres. Has anyone tried this and found nasty problems,such as,hitting brake parts messing up speedometers etc.

I had a young guy come in who had just bought a Fuego at auction and thought he got the bargin of a lifetime until he found it needed tyres for RWC, I sent him round the corner to the Holden wrecker and he came back with 4 mags and tyres off a Camira for $180 the lot and bolted them straight on, bargin of a lifetime, I have dozens of Fuegos coming in and out and most have non geniune wheels there must be a huge range that go straight on, Golf and Passat BMW 3 series will fit, even Honda Legend so I'm told.
We had a bloke from Michelin talking at a club meeting one night and I told him that it was his company that was responsible for Fuegos poor resale value and I copt a big lecture on how good the TRX was, I wasn't game to him if he he'd ever driven on them.
David.

I have an '85 Fuego with the 14" Camira mags, no clearance problems, all fine, thanks. I don't think they look all that silly - in fact, the original wheels are of a similar design. What I do need is a small square centre cap for one of the mags. What is a sensible price to pay for one?

DoubleChevron:
Hi,

you forgot to mention how bad the michelin trx tyres are in the wet. The usual replacements are 15" wheels. However my cousin got 14" wheels on his, he had to try several sets before they found a set that didn't hit on anything. My brother has fitting whopping 16" wheels to his fuego, the thing handles like it's on rails and looks fantastic. The cost was about $200 a wheel for the new 16" wheels with second hand pirelli rubber from japanese type importers in melbourne the total cost was not much more than a new set of shockingly disgusting trx tyres. I've never seen a Fuego smashed anywhere but the front from where it's understeered off the road from those sh*# original hidiously expensive trx tyres. The 16" looks fantastic, handles brilliantly, the steering is **enormously** lighter. The speedo isn't a problem you just get tyres with the same rolling diameter. from memory the rubber under my brothers car is 215/50/16 . Any wheel place should be able to work out a wheel/tire combination with very similar rolling diameters.

seeya.........
hehe not a big fan of the TRX tyres are ya! :D

I can vouch for how s*** TRX tyres were...

When i put 16" on my Fuego, i put my original wheels/tyres on a donor Fuego i had. I left them on so i could wheel the car up on to the trailer and dump it infront of Sims metal after i had stripped all the parts i wanted out of the car.

Instead of leaving the car dumped on bricks, i left my Fuego's original wheels on it and those TRX tyres which are about the equivalent.

:D blush clown

Looks like my Son and Daughters cars will soon have to be converted as the supply of
used TRX tyres peters out.

I am trying to keep two of my cars on original rims if I can but this wasn't helped when my son borrowed my car and two of its good TRX tyres were hijacked near St Kilda. (at least I got to keep the jack and spanner used!! as the cheap bastards were too lazy to take those with them) someone will get a surprise when I eventually spot the identifiable tyres!!!

So in one way I'm kinda glad that the TRX has such a poor S**T rating from users and the
thieving pricks won't get much Joy from them!! (a little bit of unholy justice!!)

That experience did put me off (temporarily) from volunteering to help other owners
with their Fuego problems for a short while!! Despite all that I am still willing to keep the two cars on TRX and convert the others when we decide on the configuration/available wheels.

Son of course wants you beaut mags but may have to settle for less!! so this thread may help
identify some viable alternatives (the good the bad and the not so ugly!!) so keep the information coming. If anyone has some good S**T TRX Michellins for sale, let me know !

Of course The XXX that stole mine might get a conscience and return them!!! Hah!!

Regards
Ken

I like the fuego still dont know anyone that actually has one but they are a really great looking car. Still have heaps of get up & go too...

daniel

You do know a few people who have fuego's. There are several in the club.

Rene Grandjean has the bright yellow one that was at the Bastille day. Ian Evans has a white one. Mr Kris-McNab had a red one, and Craig Bradney had one also until he went overseas.

I'm sure there is more, but those are the ones that come immediately to mind.

BTW there is a good technical english /french dictionary at:

<a href="http://www.granddictionnaire.com/_fs_global_01.htm" target="_blank">http://www.granddictionnaire.com/_fs_global_01.htm</a>

mallet mallet

Thanks all the info on the wheels. I have had several people talk about Camira wheels. Got some techo info of 100mm stud spacing and 38mm offset. I looked at most of the Feugo for sale in Adelaide and could not find a suitable one to partner my 20TS so I have stopped looking. This weekend I will look at an R4 as I have long wanted one.
renault_

David Cavanagh:
.....We had a bloke from Michelin talking at a club meeting one night and I told him that it was his company that was responsible for Fuegos poor resale value and I copt a big lecture on how good the TRX was, I wasn't game to [ask] him if he he'd ever driven on them.
I assume you meant to have 'ask' where I've inserted it?

Why not? Make people answer for themselves or their product... otherwise it all gets whitewashed.

Another alternative -

My Fuego came with an unusual set of 14 inch wheels which look great. I have since discovered that they are from a the previous to current Nissan Pulsar. The previous owner had even gone to the trouble of putting Renault emblems in the hub centres.

They actually look way better on the Renault than on the Nissan. I don't know if the offset is entirely correct, but nothing rubs with 195-60 14 tyres.

Does using Nissan wheels count as keeping it in the family?

RedFuego:
.....Does using Nissan wheels count as keeping it in the family?
Are they made of aluminium?

Well there you go... created out of Bauxite, which was first recognised in France (Les Baux was the town) and probably all sourced from Australia.

Ergo... you have French Japanese Australian wheels... fine.

The single biggest factor in enhancing fuego was fitting 205/45 R16's. These were standard "of the shelf rims". I had the bolts replaced with studs and nuts (easier to fit) and I have never had any of the strange vibration problems that alot of fuego owners seem to go on about. Even though my car is about 2 inches lower all round, nothing rubs on the body.
NB: If you fit 16's you might want to consider different seats, othewise you end up pressed against the door trim when turning left......

mistareno:
I had the bolts replaced with studs and nuts (easier to fit) and ......
A mate of mine had a Fiat with "bolt-on" wheels, they were a right pig to fit. Having said that, the standard Fuego rims have that centre-locater/load-bearer arrangement which seems to take away much of the challenge - the centering of the wheel on the hub is done for you...